Hunting in populated areas

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting in populated areas

Post by Kurnal » 11 Jul 2022, 7:30 am

I have been asked to to get rid a few deer on private land NSW, however, its a small 4-5 acre block adjacent to reasonably heavily populated residential areas.

Concerned about neighbours calling the police after hearing gunshots. Anyone had any similar experience?

They are small fallow so I could use the .223 instead of the .308. That would a lot quieter and might help, but would prefer the larger calibre

Thanks
CZ 455 .22LR Vixen 4-16 x 44
Ligthgow LA102 .223 Optika5 3-15 x 44
Tikka T3x Lite Stainless .308 Leupold Vx3i 4.5-14 x 40
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Hunting in populated areas

Post by straightshooter » 11 Jul 2022, 8:01 am

If the land you describe is a small acreage backing onto or surrounded by residential blocks then you would be taking a big risk of coming to the attention of Police and or RSPCA.
There might be a lesser risk if you use a subsonic round or a bow and arrow but you can never know who may be observing events.
However I would be surprised if even the use of a 22 rimfire on a 5 acre block would not draw the attention of the Police, let alone a centerfire, and result in possible prosecution.
"Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about."
"There is no expedient to which a man will not resort to avoid the real labor of thinking." Sir Joshua Reynolds
straightshooter
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by Boundry Rider » 11 Jul 2022, 8:42 am

Sub sonic a 308 handload
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 11 Jul 2022, 8:44 am

I wouldn't use a bow and arrow....despite being an avid bowhunter for years,the chance of a deer running,even with a perfect kill shot,is very high and the last thing you want is a mortally wounded deer carking it on someone else's property. Not sure how you'll handle it to be honest.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Jul 2022, 8:54 am

Is it legal to live trap?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 11 Jul 2022, 9:37 am

Move them elsewhere.

Having said that, I have shot plenty of animals within suburban areas.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jul 2022, 9:54 am

Kurnal wrote:I have been asked to to get rid a few deer on private land NSW, however, its a small 4-5 acre block adjacent to reasonably heavily populated residential areas.

Concerned about neighbours calling the police after hearing gunshots. Anyone had any similar experience?

They are small fallow so I could use the .223 instead of the .308. That would a lot quieter and might help, but would prefer the larger calibre

Thanks

Is the block zoned "rural"? If not then no shooting.
If it is then you can shoot there - as long as it's safe to do so. If neighbours are a potential issue ask the property owner to let them know he's dealing with some ferals.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by teabagga » 11 Jul 2022, 10:58 am

Personally I wouldn’t put myself at risk of the legal dramas on such a small property if the neighbours dwellings are close to where you will be shooting. Even if it’s legal who wants the hassle? Crossbow would be the go to get the job done cleanly and silently.
teabagga
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Gamerancher » 11 Jul 2022, 11:47 am

And in NSW, ILLEGAL!
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by bigpete » 11 Jul 2022, 12:08 pm

Gamerancher wrote:And in NSW, ILLEGAL!

Yep,and not really that quiet either,and still runs the same risk as using a bow
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 11 Jul 2022, 1:44 pm

Which part of this is illegal?
I did wonder if he'd need a G-licence for deer.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 11 Jul 2022, 1:55 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Which part of this is illegal?
I did wonder if he'd need a G-licence for deer.

I believe he's referring to the use of a crossbow
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Kurnal » 11 Jul 2022, 3:41 pm

I can confirm its legal.

I asked if anyone had any experience similar....maybe contacted police beforehand or something like that.

I am not a bow hunter so that's not an option for me. I do know a VERY experienced bow hunter I could take in which may be the option if I consider it too risky.

Thanks for the replies.
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Blr243 » 11 Jul 2022, 6:10 pm

There are some things in life it’s best just to avoid altogether
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 11 Jul 2022, 6:31 pm

Blasting away with a centrefire on 5 acres with neighbouring houses is just crazy from both a safety and noise issue.

5 Acres is a only about 200m x 100m block of land, its tiny.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 11 Jul 2022, 8:11 pm

bladeracer wrote:
Kurnal wrote:I have been asked to to get rid a few deer on private land NSW, however, its a small 4-5 acre block adjacent to reasonably heavily populated residential areas.

Thanks

If it is then you can shoot there - as long as it's safe to do so. If neighbours are a potential issue ask the property owner to let them know he's dealing with some ferals.

Thats interesting. Is this written in the firearms legislation for that State?
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Fionn » 11 Jul 2022, 9:08 pm

animalpest wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Thanks

Its not, its just Bladeracer making up laws again.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 4:31 am

animalpest wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Thanks

Is which part written in the legislation?
We looked at this in depth about two years ago.
NSW merely requires rural zoning for shooting on. If it's not rural then you would need special permits to shoot in built-up areas.
The suggestion of letting the neighbours know is not legislation, but it might prevent Police wasting their time responding to complaints.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 4:38 am

Fionn wrote:Blasting away with a centrefire on 5 acres with neighbouring houses is just crazy from both a safety and noise issue.

I didn't see anybody talking about "blasting away", but there is no legislated minimum property size for shooting on, if it's zoned to allow shooting, and you can safely do so, then you can lawfully do so.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 4:41 am

Fionn wrote:
animalpest wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Thanks

Its not, its just Bladeracer making up laws again.

Are you trying to make a useful contribution to the thread?
If what I offered is not correct please correct me - with law rather than opinion.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 5:57 am

Thanks

In NSW the "recommended minimum" is .243 for fallow, not law but recommended.
But you could load the .308 with subsonic loads with something like the 190gn Sub-X, which would be very quiet, and very effective - that would be my suggestion.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by MtnMan » 12 Jul 2022, 6:52 am

Even if it is lawful that doesn't stop the surrounding residents who think it's unlawful or who just want to cause you grief from calling police and you having a firearm related police interaction.
A deer is not enough reward for risk.
MtnMan
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by bladeracer » 12 Jul 2022, 7:09 am

MtnMan wrote:Even if it is lawful that doesn't stop the surrounding residents who think it's unlawful or who just want to cause you grief from calling police and you having a firearm related police interaction.
A deer is not enough reward for risk.

This isn't about reward, this is to clear some pest animals.
The easiest, cheapest and simplest way is likely to shoot them, so as long as it can be done safely the property owner has every right to do so.
Considering the size of the property it seems unlikely there's more than a small handful.
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mickb » 12 Jul 2022, 7:38 am

I bought a crossbow for similar work, though property sizes 20-40 acres. Worked okay but the hideous expense of crossbow bolts eventually shelved it. I think I was running about $15-18 a shot, and ground shooting it meant after the bolts passed through the animal they would skid off into the scrub not to be found.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Boundry Rider » 12 Jul 2022, 8:55 am

mickb wrote:I bought a crossbow for similar work, though property sizes 20-40 acres. Worked okay but the hideous expense of crossbow bolts eventually shelved it. I think I was running about $15-18 a shot, and ground shooting it meant after the bolts passed through the animal they would skid off into the scrub not to be found.

For 5 acres use a feeder to bring them in and a shoot a subsonic centerfire from a treestand.
No one will be the wiser.

And don't attempt to gain advice from law enforcement, you'll be shut down quicker than a cellar door.
Escaped WALcatraz
Boundry Rider
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 12 Jul 2022, 9:25 am

bladeracer wrote:Are you trying to make a useful contribution to the thread?
If what I offered is not correct please correct me - with law rather than opinion.

Yes I am making a useful contribution as I am telling people you are making up laws that don't exist.

I can't offer proof of a laws you made up in your head because they don't exist. How about you prove you claim.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 12 Jul 2022, 9:30 am

bladeracer wrote:
Fionn wrote:Blasting away with a centrefire on 5 acres with neighbouring houses is just crazy from both a safety and noise issue.

I didn't see anybody talking about "blasting away", but there is no legislated minimum property size for shooting on, if it's zoned to allow shooting, and you can safely do so, then you can lawfully do so.

The OP did, or did you miss that?

Kurnal wrote:They are small fallow so I could use the .223 instead of the .308. That would a lot quieter and might help, but would prefer the larger calibre
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Kurnal » 12 Jul 2022, 11:00 am

Thanks everyone. Let's just shut this one down here before someone gets hurt :D
Kurnal
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by animalpest » 12 Jul 2022, 1:22 pm

The interesting thing to me is that I find shooters/hunters dont think outside the box much. The OP said he was "asked to to get rid a few deer on private land NSW, however, its a small 4-5 acre block...". So shooting is not the only option, although to many shooters, its their only known method.

What is the problem (deer) and what are ALL the options? Define the risks of each and therein lies your answer to the question posed.

Shooting is just one potential option. Consider the actual legalities, animal welfare risks, reducing noise etc

Recently I did a shoot on 500 animals in a metropolitan area, with residential areas and houses sometimes within 200m of where we were shooting and all shots within 1km. I was using full power loads with a .223. While the property was much bigger than 5 acres, the most important thing was where the bullet may end up. Safety issues are paramount closely followed by animal welfare of shot animals. And yep, the Police received calls.

Keep it quiet, kill the animals cleanly and keep it within the property.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by No1Mk3 » 12 Jul 2022, 2:19 pm

animalpest wrote:The interesting thing to me is that I find shooters/hunters dont think outside the box much. The OP said he was "asked to to get rid a few deer on private land NSW, however, its a small 4-5 acre block...". So shooting is not the only option, although to many shooters, its their only known method.

What is the problem (deer) and what are ALL the options? Define the risks of each and therein lies your answer to the question posed.

Shooting is just one potential option. Consider the actual legalities, animal welfare risks, reducing noise etc

Recently I did a shoot on 500 animals in a metropolitan area, with residential areas and houses sometimes within 200m of where we were shooting and all shots within 1km. I was using full power loads with a .223. While the property was much bigger than 5 acres, the most important thing was where the bullet may end up. Safety issues are paramount closely followed by animal welfare of shot animals. And yep, the Police received calls.

Keep it quiet, kill the animals cleanly and keep it within the property.

And here we have it, despite many opinions posted, in NSW there are no property sizes legislated for hunting pest animals on private land with the landowners permission.nor are any hunting licences needed for feral deer control (until 2026), there are Zoning restrictions regarding all shooting activities which require official prmissions. As animalpest posted how you deal with the issue of vermin control is dictated by considerations of being able to keep all bullets on the property and avoiding disturbance of neighbours. Even though it is legal to shoot on a 5 acre Rural property, Police can still shut you down if a neighbour complains you are making too much noise, this comes under 'Public Nuisance" legislation. If you want perfect advice including quotation of Act and Regulations, spend the penny and contact a good firearms lawyer such as Simon Munslow, or download a copy of all relevant Legislation and spend a week or two studying it as I do, then keep a file of PDF' s of every State Firearms Act and Regulation on your desktop and dedicate an hour a day, every day to reading them just for fun. Surprising what you can learn.
No1Mk3
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey