Things that go Oink in the dark ?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Things that go Oink in the dark ?

Post by Die Judicii » 02 May 2014, 6:41 pm

Hi,

Having just put my 2 cents worth in on the topic asking about eating feral pig, I have a question of my own seeking answers.

I have hunted the feral grunters many times in the past but ALWAYS in daylight.

Now I have them on my new place of abode, but they don't like daylight.

Can anyone tell me, Do they carry on their social grunts etc in the dark that may help me locate them.

I have sat out in various spots for several hours at a time in the dark, but have never yet heard them.

Cheers
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Things that go Oink in the dark ?

Post by AusC » 03 May 2014, 8:15 am

Just my experience...

Definitely they're active around twilight times. Business as usual then AFAIK.

I've heard a few in the true dark at times, wandering near a camp site, but the only doing was minor breathing and soft grunt sounds.

Only sounded like an individual or two maybe, no loud calls, nothing you would hear from a distance.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 03 May 2014, 1:53 pm

Hi AusC,

Thanks for your reply. These mongrels hav been really active for the past fortnight over approx. 80 odd acres, and the only time I've actually sighted some was when I didn't have a F/arm in my hands.

It was only 50 metres from the back of the house, and I walked out with a torch to see what the dogs were barking at.

I saw 2 big ones cross the beam of light as they scurried off.

Since then I've walked with the night hunter light and the 30/06 pump at all different hours, as well as sitting and listening but so far no joy. Also spent quite some time in the cruiser over the rest of the property.

Yet every morning there is more fresh rootings. Bloody frustrating. Unfortunately my dogs are not suited nor versed in tackling them.

Cheers
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Arth » 03 May 2014, 2:02 pm

Wild boar are situationally crepuscular or nocturnal, foraging in early morning and late afternoon or at night, but resting for periods during both night and day. They are omnivorous scavengers, eating almost anything they come across, including grass, nuts, berries, carrion, nests of ground nesting birds, roots, tubers, refuse, insects and small reptiles. Wild boar in Australia are also known to be predators of young deer and lambs.

Bit of chance/luck to find one at night I guess.
Arth
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 03 May 2014, 4:46 pm

No problem mate.

Don't really have any advice for hunting them at night specifically for you I'm afraid as it's not something I do.

I guess they're pretty touchy and night, especially to see a torch. Sends then running quickly.

I guess I'd try and nail down some of their regular haunts and wait for them there rather than roaring around in the truck or scanning with lights.

Or locate some of their spots which you can approach from a distance and see if they are there while remaining unnoticed.

Not really proven advice though :lol: Just some thoughts.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 03 May 2014, 4:48 pm

AusC wrote:I guess they're pretty touchy and night, especially to see a torch. Sends then running quickly.

I think that's right.

I've only ever seen it done at night with night vision.

Gotta get them by surprise and take a few while they're confused and don't know where you are.

Or so TV tells me.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Browning » 03 May 2014, 9:00 pm

Try on the "new moon" nights more than others. We do a lot better on those darker nights..

I'd also try looking for sign and tracks where they're coming onto your place and then if you can be assed, try looking at those spots at different times of the night, especially in that last hour before sunlight when they'll be mooching back towards their daytime lodgings.
Browning
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 04 May 2014, 6:25 am

Also, try and put a colored lens on your torch like red. We use them when we call coyotes and foxes and try calling the pigs with a rabbit distress call if you have rabbit in the area.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Die Judicii » 05 May 2014, 10:27 pm

Hi, and thanks one and all for the input.

Unfortunately I've tried all the above albeit I've only done 1 quick walk just before dawn. Must try it more often.

However, I cant cover the entire place on foot at the moment (bit of a foot injury) and am limited to reasonably short treks.

The roos here are really thick, almost plague proportions, and the grunters probly come in with em, and tracks over tracks over tracks don't help.

The one thing I havnt tried yet is a bait (feeding) station.

That'll be easier to sit off from in the dark.

Just tie some fine wire or builders cord to it and sit back, relax, and wait till I feel movement and maybe sound.

All theoretical that is, but worth a try.

Cheers blokes
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by jays » 06 May 2014, 3:50 pm

wrenchman wrote:Also, try and put a colored lens on your torch like red. We use them when we call coyotes and foxes and try calling the pigs with a rabbit distress call if you have rabbit in the area.

Pigs eat rabbits? :shock:
jays
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Aster » 06 May 2014, 3:51 pm

Omnivores.

They eat anything be it berries or fluffy bunnies.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by VICHunter » 06 May 2014, 3:52 pm

Or people if you go too close to mum's piglets.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 06 May 2014, 5:35 pm

VICHunter wrote:Or people if you go too close to mum's piglets.

I honestly have to say 10 outta 10 sows that I have crossed with, suckers have just run off and left the young for dead!

Mind you a lot have run off with a 540 Grn Gold Tip hanging out the side of them! :lol: :D :lol:
Attachments
pigglet_2.jpg
pigglet_2.jpg (36.77 KiB) Viewed 5420 times
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 06 May 2014, 9:08 pm

Yeah a lot will just leg it and hope the little ones catch up.

Find the wrong one though and they have no hesitation in running you down.

Usually gotta be close enough that fight seems like a better option than flight. Doesn't happen a lot.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 06 May 2014, 10:30 pm

Westy wrote:I honestly have to say 10 outta 10 sows that I have crossed with, suckers have just run off and left the young for dead!

Mind you a lot have run off with a 540 Grn Gold Tip hanging out the side of them! :lol: :D :lol:

Hey there Westy,

Is this a case of tough grunters, or poor shot placement? :lol: :lol:

Just asking.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 07 May 2014, 9:40 am

Ha ha.

"all the pigs run away when I shoot them in the tree..."

:D
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 07 May 2014, 9:41 am

Not sure that classifies as shooting them :lol: lol:
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 07 May 2014, 6:27 pm

Die Judicii wrote:
Westy wrote:I honestly have to say 10 outta 10 sows that I have crossed with, suckers have just run off and left the young for dead!

Hey there Westy,

Is this a case of tough grunters, or poor shot placement? :lol: :lol:

Just asking.

Come to think of it since we upped the Grns they no longer hang out the side they just pass right on through!!!!! :arrow: :arrow: :arrow:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey