Hunting Tallaganda

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting Tallaganda

Post by Yams » 15 Aug 2022, 7:11 pm

Gday guys,

Illawarra based hunter here, due to the frankly depressing lack of viable state forests close to home to use my R license in I have been looking at longer trips out to greener pastures. Have successfully hunted Gurnang for a nice fallow eater, and made the trip down to Glenbog not long ago, didnt take anything but did see some deer (the ass end of them anyway) but the game seemed very hunted and nocturnal for the most part judging by the prints we would see on our morning sessions.

Was wondering if anyone has hunted Tallaganda recently or at all? Looking at the harvest reports there seems to be some life in there and there is a large fallow population apparently centred around Bungendore which is pretty close as the crow flies. But I am well aware of how fractured populations can be and its not a guarantee, there is one video on the tube of some hunting in there with a fallow sighted.

I guess if anyone knows is the North end or the South end a better target, and how are the tracks in and out as far as s**ty 2wd access plays?

Cheers for any responses, maybe ill be able to get onto a block locally that holds the Rusa, but they can be a bit offensive tasting if they have been into the lantana haha.
Yams
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Hunting Tallaganda

Post by bladeracer » 20 Aug 2022, 9:14 am

Yams wrote:Gday guys,

Illawarra based hunter here, due to the frankly depressing lack of viable state forests close to home to use my R license in I have been looking at longer trips out to greener pastures. Have successfully hunted Gurnang for a nice fallow eater, and made the trip down to Glenbog not long ago, didnt take anything but did see some deer (the ass end of them anyway) but the game seemed very hunted and nocturnal for the most part judging by the prints we would see on our morning sessions.

Was wondering if anyone has hunted Tallaganda recently or at all? Looking at the harvest reports there seems to be some life in there and there is a large fallow population apparently centred around Bungendore which is pretty close as the crow flies. But I am well aware of how fractured populations can be and its not a guarantee, there is one video on the tube of some hunting in there with a fallow sighted.

I guess if anyone knows is the North end or the South end a better target, and how are the tracks in and out as far as s**ty 2wd access plays?

Cheers for any responses, maybe ill be able to get onto a block locally that holds the Rusa, but they can be a bit offensive tasting if they have been into the lantana haha.

If you're happy to travel that far, maybe just make a trip of it and come down across the border? Plenty of state forest to explore in the eastern end of Victoria there. Would need a Victorian game licence for deer though.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey