Hunting Northern Otways

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting Northern Otways

Post by Lemax » 08 Sep 2022, 6:19 pm

Hi,
I’ve recently started hunting and have a small bush property in the northern otways that backs onto SF. Looking at buying a Deer rifle. Just wondering what sort of game/feral animals might be in the area and recommendations on the best rifle to target them.

Thanks Legends
Lemax
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Hunting Northern Otways

Post by JohnV » 11 Sep 2022, 9:59 am

They see Fallow deer around Deans Mash so I reckon it's mainly Fallow deer around the Otway area .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by bladeracer » 11 Sep 2022, 12:42 pm

Lemax wrote:Hi,
I’ve recently started hunting and have a small bush property in the northern otways that backs onto SF. Looking at buying a Deer rifle. Just wondering what sort of game/feral animals might be in the area and recommendations on the best rifle to target them.

Thanks Legends

Rifle choice will mainly come down to what you prefer to shoot with. Do you like lever-action rifles, do you prefer a scope or iron sights? Are you recoil sensitive? Do you want something cheap enough that you can do lots of practice with or do you just want to fire twenty rounds a year at deer? Do you plan to walk for a few kilometers in the bush or just jump the fence when you see them in there? Are you going to load your own ammo?

Virtually any rifle from a .357Mag lever carbine to a .300WinMag will do the job. In Vic you need a minimum .243" diameter bullet of 85gn weight for the small deer, if you think there might be Sambar or Red in there then you need a minimum .270" bullet of 130gn weight.

My preference is 7mm-08, but a Winchester 1894 in .30-30 is hard to beat for a bush rifle.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2022, 4:06 pm

I assume the OP knows the minimum requirements?

Min Deer Cartridges New.JPG
Min Deer Cartridges New.JPG (78.3 KiB) Viewed 2188 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lemax » 11 Sep 2022, 8:45 pm

bladeracer wrote:

Thanks Legends

Rifle choice will mainly come down to what you prefer to shoot with. Do you like lever-action rifles, do you prefer a scope or iron sights? Are you recoil sensitive? Do you want something cheap enough that you can do lots of practice with or do you just want to fire twenty rounds a year at deer? Do you plan to walk for a few kilometers in the bush or just jump the fence when you see them in there? Are you going to load your own ammo?

Virtually any rifle from a .357Mag lever carbine to a .300WinMag will do the job. In Vic you need a minimum .243" diameter bullet of 85gn weight for the small deer, if you think there might be Sambar or Red in there then you need a minimum .270" bullet of 130gn weight.

My preference is 7mm-08, but a Winchester 1894 in .30-30 is hard to beat for a bush rifle.

Thanks for your reply.
Probably prefer bolt action, will be covering a lot of ground I’d imagine. After something reliable and versatile.
Lemax
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 11 Sep 2022, 9:18 pm

Lemax wrote:
bladeracer wrote:

Thanks Legends

Thanks for your reply.
Probably prefer bolt action, will be covering a lot of ground I’d imagine. After something reliable and versatile.

Have a look at the Ruger American Predator in 7mm-08, or the Howa 1500 Super Lite or Carbon in .308.
Last edited by bladeracer on 12 Sep 2022, 8:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 11 Sep 2022, 10:57 pm

Just go 308 or 270 or 30-06 or 7x57. They are all legal and popular for all deer on Vic.
Scope, 2-7 or 3-9×40 are good options. 4x40 is also an option.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Sep 2022, 1:55 pm

30-30 was the old minimum for reds/sambar. And to me seemed sensible.

But I wouldn't use a 357 mag on one. Be fine for fallow tho.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Lemax » 14 Sep 2022, 8:22 pm

Thanks Gents appreciate the feedback
Lemax
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Mackz » 18 Oct 2022, 7:34 pm

Had the same predicament last year brought a howa 1500 chambered in .308 taken 4 deer so far! And it shoots great!
Mackz
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey