Sambar in velvet?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Sambar in velvet?

Post by Ricky » 13 Sep 2022, 5:26 am

As mentioned in my introduction, I am intending to accomplish an unguided Sambar hunt in the Vic high country in late March/April 2023. Probably about 3 weeks of hunting plus travel days.

I am aware that there might be better seasons. But I definitely want to avoid snow (with a rental car, options are limited in snow). And multiple weeks of camping can be tough in winter, depending on the weather. So, only this timeframe remains in my schedule.

According to my research, Sambar can be in hard antler all year round. However, it seems that in winter most of them are in hard antler.
What can be expected in late March/April? Is a significant percentage of Sambar stags still in velvet?

This question is mainly relevant due to the EU import requirements. If I have to expect velvet stags, I have to do additional prearrangements.
Ricky
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Re: Sambar in velvet?

Post by Peterwho » 13 Sep 2022, 9:56 pm

Hi Ricky

I am not an expert in sambar, or anything else. I have not yet bagged one yet, but I have spoken to a reasonable number of hunters, read heaps, joined ADA. I have shot a few fallow over a couple of years.

There is a great book, three actually, by Errol Mason, called Secrets of the Sambar, which was recommended to me by a fellow EG member. Reading his book would suggest many stags would be still in velvet in the time period you are looking at. See pages 58-61 of Vol 1.

Good luck with the hunt

Peter
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2022, 4:31 pm

Peterwho wrote:Hi Ricky

I am not an expert in sambar, or anything else. I have not yet bagged one yet, but I have spoken to a reasonable number of hunters, read heaps, joined ADA. I have shot a few fallow over a couple of years.

There is a great book, three actually, by Errol Mason, called Secrets of the Sambar, which was recommended to me by a fellow EG member. Reading his book would suggest many stags would be still in velvet in the time period you are looking at. See pages 58-61 of Vol 1.

Good luck with the hunt

Peter

I agree. No expert here, but April is about 2 months too early. I also checked my old Introduction to deer in Australia book by Arthur Bently. Basically says the same.

Resized_20220914_163834.jpeg
Resized_20220914_163834.jpeg (222.36 KiB) Viewed 1609 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Sep 2022, 4:44 pm

And. Oops can't attach the other

"Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached"
NFI what that means?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Ricky » 15 Sep 2022, 1:17 am

Thank you for your thoughts, everyone! Much appreciated!
Ricky
Recruit
Recruit

Other

Post by Blackened » 16 Sep 2022, 3:57 pm

Try again now, guys.

The issue was on this end. Now resolved.
Blackened

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey