Concrete pill diet pays off or how I shot my first deer

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Concrete pill diet pays off or how I shot my first deer

Post by Flyonline » 02 Oct 2022, 1:24 pm

This story starts earlier this year after I listened to a podcast by an American bowhunter who was talking about walking off the hill early due to finding some excuse - it's going to rain / I'm tired / maybe I should go fishing instead / had an argument with the boss etc. etc. I've certainly been guilty of this in the past, so for my recent long service leave I pushed myself not to walk away from time out in the bush. It did kind of pay off early, I shot a goat after a long hard walk in on the back of a sore throat, but after that nothing. Over the 6 weeks or so of hunting, I estimated I walked in excess of 100km, and none of it of nice flat ground and often with a heavy pack. There were a few times I got home and thought 'shoulda, coulda, woulda' but in amongst all that I couldn't find any medium or big game for love nor money apart from one 10min stand off with what turned out to be a pair of white fallow at about 40m. I saw plenty of foxes, but it was only about the 6th one that I managed to get a shot away.

I'd arranged a half day away from home, but a few showers on the radar and predicted by the BOM made me start second guessing myself but I pulled my socks up, loaded the car and headed off. My idea was to grab my camera I put out a week or so ago as it was only intended as a short stay and then depending on the winds find somewhere to sit the evening out in the hopes of something walking past. Reaching the parking spot, a few dark clouds threatened ominously and I couldn't help think of all the big trout in the local creek. Still,....at least I could grab the camera quickly....Then I remembered I hadn't repacked my light day pack and didn't even have a knife. Surely I wouldn't need one anyway!?!??

Heading up the brow of a finger ridge, I spotted plenty of sign. The problem was that it was spread out all over the place with no defined areas of movement. At least some was freshish after the last rain. Reaching the camera, I opened it up, but quickly realised a 4" screen doesn't show much :roll: Dumping it in the pack I had a quick bite to eat and a drink. Surely those trout are rising now..... But I can go trout fishing any evening so I pushed on, crossing through the tops of a few small side gullies and checking on some previous sign and whistling for foxes at any likely spot. Along the side of one gully there is a few hundred meters where there is a rub tree every 20-40m like clockwork, and all the same age.

Reaching one of the main creeks, the winds were squirreling around a bit, but I worked out that the prevailing was down stream, which would only get more consistent as the day cooled. Passing a busy wombat, I took a fold in the main divide between the two creeks in the area and worked my way up to the top which features a road. This was the area I'd had the stand off with the fallow earlier, so I glassed heavily by nothing was spotted. I'd noticed the other face of the creek was nice and open, with a small but tight and deep gully coming down towards me. I'd been along that face earlier in my holidays and knew there was a fair amount of sign of both fallow and sambar, plus there were thickets of scrub for the deer to hide in towards the tops of these small gullies so I hunted around a little and found a nice spot I could sit and glass both the main gully upstream of me, as well as the opposite face and side gully.

Sitting down with my back against a tree with 4 or 5 smaller saplings around me, I was confident I was relatively hidden and had a couple of rests for a cross gully shot. Unpacking a bit to eat and another drink, I was nibbling on a few home made dried apple rings when I saw movement at the top edge of the clear opposite face. Picking their way across the slope was a young sambar and a calf somewhat above me and about 100m away. Through the binos I could see the size of them and guessed at a yearling and a calf, but I coulnd't see if big mumma was following behind. Grabbing the gun, I slithered down the hill to a wattle that had a perfect fork for a rest. The deer had disappeared behind some scrub, but a minute or so later the young one stepped out into a clearing that I had in the tops of the blackwoods in creek below me. Waiting until it reached the centre, I lined up the cross hairs and slowly squeezed the trigger.....WTF??

In my rookie haste, I'd forgotten that my Howa has a 3 positing safety, and I'd only gone up 1 click. Ooops. Flicking it fully forward, I re-acquired the lead deer and again lined up the crosshairs on the centre of the shoulder. Slowly breathing out I paused and the shot broke. Immediately the deer jumped and mule kicked and the first thought through my mind was 'gut shut, oh sh!t!!!', but it took a step or two while I quickly re-loaded. Suddenly it rolled over and tumbled down the steep hill, end over end to come crashing to a stop at the base of a big gum. I didn't even have to time to worry about it ending up in the creek before it was over. Despite the shot, it was still trying to move, so I lined up the crosshairs with the centre of it's forehead and squeezed off another shot, probably not necessary but I don't seeing animals suffer unnecessarily. It immediately stopped moving and a wave of relief went through me - I'd finally done it!!

Making the rifle safe, I grabbed the rest of the gear and packed it away and made my way down, across the creek and up the other side. A swift check to make sure she was dead, I took it all in. A couple of photos, a check on the sex (was a hind) and my shot placement (perfect both times) and a brief review of the situation:

No knife
No game bags
Very limited carrying capacity
Best part of 1km walk each way in/out
1hr daylight(ish)

Hmmmmmmm

The plan I came up with was:
1)Go home and collect kill kit
2)Ring uncle and try to borrow 4wd to get within ~80m of deer
3)Quarter up carcass ASAP
4)Carry out what I could depending on phone call/fatigue and/or hang quarters for collection the next day

As soon as I got reception I rang my uncle who was happy for me to borrow his ute. Reaching home I grabbed my extra gear and let my wife know she shouldn't expect me back for a few hours then hit the road again. Swapping cars, I reached the new parking spot with about 1/2 - 3/4hr of theoretical working light left, but as it is an East facing slope I knew the light would finish earlier than that so a good chance to try out my new headlamp. Parking up, I unloaded everything and hit the trail and a few minutes later was standing over the deer. The hard work was about to begin!

So far I've butchered 10 or so goats, but I wasn't prepared for a) the toughness of the hide and b) the sheer size (and this was really only 3/4 grown!). Amazingly it couldn't have come to rest in a better spot, a slight bench just above the tree made a level playing field, and I could spread out without having to worry about my footing. At least you can drag a fully grown goat around if needed, but I was hard pushed rolling it over as it was.

It took me an hour to quarter it up, it might not have been the best job ever done but I was good enough to hit the ball socket on the rear leg both times exactly, something I've struggled to do on the goats but I did get myself out of sequence and left some of the back strap on the front shoulder. Still, at current meat prices at the butcher I'm not complaining one bit!!!!!! It had turned fully dark by the time I was finished and started loading and I realised my life would have been easier to have a light of some description hanging in the tree to guide me back through the inky darkness, so I placed my high vis orange beanie on a prominent branch to pick it up with the torch making my way back in. Heaving with exertion, I got the first quarter in the backpack and on my back and made my way slowly back to the car up the steep hill. Returning for 2 more trips to get everything out, I staggered back to the car for the last time completely stuffed - thank god for helpful relatives!!

Arriving home, I hung everything in the garage, at a stable ~10C at least I don't have to rush but I'll have to organise some freezer space soon.

Guess I'll have to up my game, I got lucky this time but next time I might have a serious pack out to do. Pillowcases etc. might be fine for a goat and possibly fallow but certainly not for anything other than a calf in sambar.

IMG_4352.JPG
IMG_4352.JPG (569.87 KiB) Viewed 3187 times

Howa 1500 in 30/06 with Corelokt 150gr
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Concrete pill diet pays off or how I shot my first deer

Post by bigpete » 02 Oct 2022, 1:39 pm

Excellent work !
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 02 Oct 2022, 1:56 pm

That's an awesome story!
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 02 Oct 2022, 3:59 pm

Well done & well written.

Sambar are hard work.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 02 Oct 2022, 4:10 pm

Reading a bit of this reminded me that I remember well the first red deer and first fallow deer I shot but I don’t remember the circumstances of any of the other Deer I got afterwards ... I guess the first one of the species is a little special
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Peterwho » 03 Oct 2022, 8:21 pm

Great story and picture. Well done sir.
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Flyonline » 04 Oct 2022, 6:36 pm

Thanks guys!

My wife asked me if I had fun. After thinking about it, I said that it was fun until I pulled the trigger - after that it was rewarding, with a big measure of hard work thrown in. Butchered the rest of it up today, though I did do the back straps and one shoulder yesterday. Threw a quick couple of sizzle steaks in a pan for tea last night from a back strap which went down with much enjoyment and marinated bit of leg turned into fajitas today which was equally tasty. Now have to work out what to do with the balance of 35kg or so :sarcasm:

Recovered the projectile for anyone that was interested, didn't find the ball but the cup had petaled nicely. Punched a small hole through the inside shoulder but blitzed the offside and ended up just on the inside of the skin :thumbsup:

IMG_4358.JPG
IMG_4358.JPG (344.51 KiB) Viewed 3007 times

IMG_4359.JPG
IMG_4359.JPG (397.17 KiB) Viewed 3007 times

Need to organise myself another big fridge though, wouldn't have lasted too much longer and I got lucky and only had a blowy get into the shed as I was tidying up at the end today
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Oct 2022, 8:22 pm

Chamber? Projectile brand, size?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 05 Oct 2022, 4:27 am

very nice be proud of it
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Flyonline » 05 Oct 2022, 6:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Chamber? Projectile brand, size?

Core lokt, 150gr in 30-06

wrenchman wrote:very nice be proud of it

Thanks!
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 06 Oct 2022, 10:06 am

i have killed pigs bears and deer with that caliber and round
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by tom604 » 23 Oct 2022, 10:21 am

old bed sheet sewn in half, zip tie around the leg or hanging rope will keep the blowie's off.
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Oct 2022, 2:49 pm

Here is an Hornady Interlock I sectioned some time back then melted out the lead. Clearly 2 locking points, the cannular and the additional ring near the base. Compare this with the Remington Core lock

Hornady Interlock 30 Cal 180 gr 3070 - sml.jpg
Hornady Interlock 30 Cal 180 gr 3070 - sml.jpg (76.29 KiB) Viewed 2804 times

Remington Core Lock.JPG
Remington Core Lock.JPG (50.36 KiB) Viewed 2804 times
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by markg » 01 Nov 2022, 8:38 pm

Well done on the Sambar. They will blunt your knife in a heartbeat. How come you head shot it though?
markg
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by deye243 » 01 Nov 2022, 9:16 pm

markg wrote:Well done on the Sambar. They will blunt your knife in a heartbeat. How come you head shot it though?

As most eastern Victorian sambar hunters will tell you and i used to be one of them if that animal is down and even twitches if you've got a vital shot you take it.
They are renowned for getting back up and bolting have actually seen it after a 338 WIN MAG hit and rolled him and totally destroyed the chest cavity was like pea and ham soup how that bloody deer ran 120 + yards has me beat .
I was young then in the last 30 years I have not taken a sambar without a neck or headshot if I cannot drop them on their hocks I don't take the shot .
Yes I have passed up many a shot but I much prefer relaxed meat than meat full of adrenaline .
And to the OP great story and congratulations enjoy the meat hopefully the first of many
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 04 Nov 2022, 6:52 pm

deye243 wrote:As most eastern Victorian sambar hunters will tell you and i used to be one of them if that animal is down and even twitches if you've got a vital shot you take it.
They are renowned for getting back up and bolting have actually seen it after a 338 WIN MAG hit and rolled him and totally destroyed the chest cavity was like pea and ham soup how that bloody deer ran 120 + yards has me beat .
I was young then in the last 30 years I have not taken a sambar without a neck or headshot if I cannot drop them on their hocks I don't take the shot .
Yes I have passed up many a shot but I much prefer relaxed meat than meat full of adrenaline .
And to the OP great story and congratulations enjoy the meat hopefully the first of many

Thanks! I've had a few close encounters toting the bow so hopefully shouldn't be too hard to get the next one down :thumbsup: All who've eaten have given the thumbs up - couldn't tell the difference from beef unless I told them.

markg wrote:Well done on the Sambar. They will blunt your knife in a heartbeat. How come you head shot it though?

Thanks! Headshot was only the followup, I wouldn't have taken a headshot as an initial shot. I was also only 200m or so from a plantation and sure didn't want to have to go following it up in there.

Oldbloke

yeah, the interlock was another option but I took the lead of a mate who swears by the core-lokt.
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey