Fallow Deer Calibre

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Fallow Deer Calibre

Post by madang55 » 08 Oct 2022, 9:19 am

Victoria
Fallow Deer
243W 80 grain Projectile.
So far,so good.
I have taken Fallow with my 6.5 Grendel. It was with Factory Hornady 123 grain I picked up with the rifle. After taking the deer and thinking those projectiles
aren't that good, I later found out they were match-kings. No wonder...I've pulled them all and use them in the Creedmore. So my next effort is going to be with 90 Grain TNT. Which my rifle just loves. Anyone have any experience with the Grendel and Fallow? I could use my 308, but, geography is a determining factor.
My wife knows me well.
The dog often reminds me of that
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Fallow Deer Calibre

Post by northdude » 08 Oct 2022, 12:23 pm

I use grendel on goats which would be similar to fallow. Ive used the 90 tnts they are good using 85gr sierras at the moment they are good as well
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by madang55 » 08 Oct 2022, 2:36 pm

Cheers. Tried the 85s and 95 Vmax..the 90 tnt work best followed by the 95. Would like to try 100gr something but the 90s will do fine for now.
Thanks
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by JimTom » 08 Oct 2022, 6:16 pm

123gn SST seem to work well mate.
JimTom
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Queensland

Post by madang55 » 08 Oct 2022, 9:41 pm

JimTom wrote:123gn SST seem to work well mate.

I managed to pick up a couple of boxes of 129 SST in Adelaide recently. They work real good out of the Creedmore. The 123gr is the heaviest the ADI book goes to for the Grendel and they're kinda slow so I'm not sure if they will perform at those speeds. I like my pills to enter and do the work inside and not spend energy exiting and the TNT's do that well. If you reckon the 123 SST work well, I might track some down and see what happens.
I'm not going to use the Creedmore. Its a Howa with the heavy 26 inch barrel and weighs more than my mortgage. I might change the barrel to a sporter weight when I'm rich and famous.
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by northdude » 09 Oct 2022, 4:57 am

Its a good cailber I got rid of my 243 when I got mine would get rid of the 223 as well and just keep the grendel. It sits in the middle of both of them nicely
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by madang55 » 09 Oct 2022, 6:39 am

northdude wrote:Its a good cailber I got rid of my 243 when I got mine would get rid of the 223 as well and just keep the grendel. It sits in the middle of both of them nicely

Starting to feel that way myself. I have a CZ 223 (Ebony) that I'm going to sell. I'm covered by a 204R and the Grendel. Got a Brno mod2 to go as well. Finance for Bergara 22LR
My wife knows me well.
madang55
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Peterwho » 09 Oct 2022, 8:25 pm

This is an interesting question and one I am struggling with. I have shot eight fallow over the last couple of years with my Remington 700 243 LH. I mostly use 100gr core locks which perform as expected 75% of the time. I have recovered a couple of the bullets and weighted the most recent one at 5grams (kitchen scales don’t have decimals). Original weight of 100gr I think is 6.7grams. I have had two failures, as in lost the wounded deer. One I located a week later, about 150 metres away from where I shot it.

The 2nd one was two weekends ago when I shot two deer. The first one i shot through the shoulder and didn’t move more than 4m from where it was shot. The 2nd one I thought it was a perfect shot, around 100 m, dropped on the spot. So I put the gun down, walked to where it was laying and it stood up and went into thick scrub and creek area. Spent the next couple of hours looking without success. Plenty of lessons for me as to what I should have or should not done.

But returning to the question, I now doubt the 243 for larger fallow unless perfect shot placement. Maybe there are better cartridges choices but I did think 100gr forelock was enough. Happy to hear from wiser and more experienced hunters than me.
Peterwho
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by Billo » 09 Oct 2022, 8:51 pm

6mm and 90gr, exception being 80gr Mono Copper bullets. Fallow arent hard to kill if the bullet is placed correctly.
22lr, 20 Hornady Hornet, 6mm ARC, 270 Win, 308 Win, 358 Win, 9.3x62, 500 S&W
Billo
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey