7.62x39 for Sambar

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: 7.62x39 for Sambar

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Apr 2023, 8:13 pm

Fionn wrote:

As I said before, I am here for entertainment
, I love watching people making a fool of themselves and then doubling down on it.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 12 Apr 2023, 8:43 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Fionn wrote:

, I love watching people making a fool of themselves and then doubling down on it.

Yeah me too. Some people are a crackup
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 12 Apr 2023, 9:07 pm

Fionn wrote:Wasn't there some research that said most shots where under 100 yards on Sambar?

I have never shot one over this distance.

Seems a lot of people overcompensate for either lack of shooting skill or hunting skill by using overpowered calibers "just in case" they can't shoot well or are a long way away.

I have shot sambar with my 45/70
, but I do so because I enjoy using it not because I think you need to use something like this as a well placed shot at a suitable range with a 7.62x39 will be more then enough.

The important thing, is a well placed shot and a suitable range .

AP. Never argue with an xspert. Owns a 4570, but plans to use a 357. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 13 Apr 2023, 4:36 am

Fionn wrote:
animalpest wrote:And here is Fionn, the great master of hunting, who ignores genuine questions asked. Because you love to try to criticise people but have no answers yourself.

I ignore the question as it's not a genuine question! Anyone who is commenting on what type of firearm is suitable for Sambar stalking should know the answer otherwise it just shows they are talking out their arse.

Equally if those said people really wanted to know the answer it's not hard to find.

animalpest wrote:Having never hunted Sambar but plenty of other deer species (reds, fallow and Rusa) as well as thousands of animals of the same size as Samba then I can tell you with experience that very few have that unless you have perfect head shots then a .357 magnum does not cut the mustard.

Again I will state that Fionn talks with forked tongue purely as an antagonistic wannabe with little to no personal experience.

Fairy typical response from someone with no argument, first the veiled threats and now attacking the person due to lack of an argument.

Completely expected.

animalpest wrote:The only way these sorts of people work is to not answer questions that may expose their lack of actual experiences but try (unsuccessfully) to make personal attacks on people.

That my friends, is the classic traits of a delusional wannabe which I have doubts has ever hunted.

The answer is pretty easy for anyone that's stalked Sambar, the only people seem to have issues knowing the answer are people who have never stalked Sambar and aren't smart enough to find out the answer themselves with being spoon fed the answer.

It's amusing to watch the little hissy fits they are throwing because they don't know. :D

ahh fionn. your back :roll: . still taking the "high minded" disdain for us lesser folks who aren't the great font of knowledge and experience, like yourself :lol:
you still haven't answered my question . you avoided it , then disappeared for a while . now your back , and fresh with new vigour , to stir and belittle people on this forum who obviously have more knowledge and experience than you . you must wear a tri-corner hat with bells , cause your obviously a fool :D

have a great day :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by wrenchman » 13 Apr 2023, 5:25 am

not to throw sand any but my this post has gone off track
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigrich » 13 Apr 2023, 6:40 am

wrenchman wrote:not to throw sand any but my this post has gone off track

just a little ....... ;) :thumbsup:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 13 Apr 2023, 5:54 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Fionn wrote:Wasn't there some research that said most shots where under 100 yards on Sambar?

I have never shot one over this distance.

Seems a lot of people overcompensate for either lack of shooting skill or hunting skill by using overpowered calibers "just in case" they can't shoot well or are a long way away.

I have shot sambar with my 45/70
, but I do so because I enjoy using it not because I think you need to use something like this as a well placed shot at a suitable range with a 7.62x39 will be more then enough.

The important thing, is a well placed shot and a suitable range .

AP. Never argue with an xspert. Owns a 4570, but plans to use a 357. :lol:

The 45/70 is my T-Rex gun :D

I own lots of different calibre rifles BTW.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 13 Apr 2023, 5:56 pm

bigrich wrote:
Fionn wrote:
animalpest wrote:And here is Fionn, the great master of hunting, who ignores genuine questions asked. Because you love to try to criticise people but have no answers yourself.

I ignore the question as it's not a genuine question! Anyone who is commenting on what type of firearm is suitable for Sambar stalking should know the answer otherwise it just shows they are talking out their arse.

Equally if those said people really wanted to know the answer it's not hard to find.

animalpest wrote:Having never hunted Sambar but plenty of other deer species (reds, fallow and Rusa) as well as thousands of animals of the same size as Samba then I can tell you with experience that very few have that unless you have perfect head shots then a .357 magnum does not cut the mustard.

Again I will state that Fionn talks with forked tongue purely as an antagonistic wannabe with little to no personal experience.

Fairy typical response from someone with no argument, first the veiled threats and now attacking the person due to lack of an argument.

Completely expected.

animalpest wrote:The only way these sorts of people work is to not answer questions that may expose their lack of actual experiences but try (unsuccessfully) to make personal attacks on people.

That my friends, is the classic traits of a delusional wannabe which I have doubts has ever hunted.

The answer is pretty easy for anyone that's stalked Sambar, the only people seem to have issues knowing the answer are people who have never stalked Sambar and aren't smart enough to find out the answer themselves with being spoon fed the answer.

It's amusing to watch the little hissy fits they are throwing because they don't know. :D

ahh fionn. your back :roll: . still taking the "high minded" disdain for us lesser folks who aren't the great font of knowledge and experience, like yourself :lol:
you still haven't answered my question . you avoided it , then disappeared for a while . now your back , and fresh with new vigour , to stir and belittle people on this forum who obviously have more knowledge and experience than you . you must wear a tri-corner hat with bells , cause your obviously a fool :D

I am generally busy over Easter with work, but I did tell you why I didn't answer your question.

But the disdain is real. :D
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 13 Apr 2023, 6:47 pm

your too much fionn :roll: refusing to answer cause it's beneath you to do so when all i wanted was to learn from fionn , the great sage , and font of all knowledge . the great fionn , who uncle nick comes to for advice :P

i'm heart broken that you couldn't respond to impart your wisdom to me . i know how busy you are attending medieval fairs , wearing your jester/village idiot costume teasing folks for your own cheap laughs :sarcasm:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Apr 2023, 6:52 pm

bigrich wrote:your too much fionn :roll: refusing to answer cause it's beneath you to do so when all i wanted was to learn from fionn , the great sage , and font of all knowledge . the great fionn , who uncle nick comes to for advice :P

i'm heart broken that you couldn't respond to impart your wisdom to me . i know how busy you are attending medieval fairs , wearing your jester/village idiot costume teasing folks for your own cheap laughs :sarcasm:

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Sometimes the truth it hilarious.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 13 Apr 2023, 6:54 pm

bigrich wrote:your too much fionn :roll: refusing to answer cause it's beneath you to do so when all i wanted was to learn from fionn , the great sage , and font of all knowledge . the great fionn , who uncle nick comes to for advice :P

Just chalk it up to one of the many disappointments you experience in life which you don't understand.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 13 Apr 2023, 6:57 pm

Fionn wrote:

Just chalk it up to one of the many disappointments you experience in life which you don't understand.

Ummm I don't think you understand.

YOU ARE THE JOKE. :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 13 Apr 2023, 9:29 pm

Fionn wrote:
bigrich wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Completely expected.

I am generally busy over Easter with work, but I did tell you why I didn't answer your question.

But the disdain is real. :D

I was busy with work over Easter too. But that doesn't stop me from from answering questions from members.

My distain is only matched by my incredulous involvement in assisting to find a submachine gun dropped and hidden by a nice person running away. My work can be so entertaining :drinks:

Would that be better than a 7.62x39 for Sambar?
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Blr243 » 13 Apr 2023, 9:42 pm

This reminds me of a snowball fight i had with a bunch of good friends at perisher ski resort 30 years ago . It was me agaist everyone else. I can remember it as clear as day . I never had so much fun in all my life even though i was probably getting smashed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 13 Apr 2023, 9:43 pm

Oldbloke wrote:

Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 13 Apr 2023, 9:43 pm

This reminds me of a snowball fight i had with a bunch of good friends at perisher ski resort 30 years ago . It was me agaist everyone else. I can remember it as clear as day . I never had so much fun in all my life even though i was probably getting smashed
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 13 Apr 2023, 9:48 pm

animalpest wrote:
I was busy with work over Easter too. But that doesn't stop me from from answering questions from members.

My distain is only matched by my incredulous involvement in assisting to find a submachine gun dropped and hidden by a nice person running away. My work can be so entertaining :drinks:

Would that be better than a 7.62x39 for Sambar?

Wow that must have been very exciting for you, i bet you have been bursting at the seams to be able to drop that in a post to tell everyone.

Good on you :D

As to whether or not it's suitable for Sambar we would need to know more details about it.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 13 Apr 2023, 9:51 pm

Blr243 wrote:This reminds me of a snowball fight i had with a bunch of good friends at perisher ski resort 30 years ago . It was me agaist everyone else. I can remember it as clear as day . I never had so much fun in all my life even though i was probably getting smashed

You have to try and level the playing field somehow, :D
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 13 Apr 2023, 9:54 pm

Not really. Just that some people's work can be more involved and complex than people can imagine. Just like people's experiences.

9mm, 30 plus round magazine capacity.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Fionn » 13 Apr 2023, 10:03 pm

animalpest wrote:Not really. Just that some people's work can be more involved and complex than people can imagine. Just like people's experiences.

9mm, 30 plus round magazine capacity.

So you were being paid to do this? That's fantastic for you I guess, the energizer bunnys must be envious.

9mm is legal for Sambar.
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 13 Apr 2023, 10:33 pm

Cool. 30+ Sambar without having to reload :lol:

Pity there is none anywhere near here.

Dealt with some pretty weird sh!t at work over the years.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Apr 2023, 4:12 am

Fionn wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:

oh dear god , you love the attention . even if it's for the wrong reasons :roll:
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by animalpest » 14 Apr 2023, 6:33 am

Fionn you missed my point. You attack and criticise people with sarcasm and try to take a higher intellectual stand. And you assume too much of people's knowledge and experiences.

Yes, it was "exciting" for ALL involved. And it could have very nearly ended with tragic consequences for me and others given the baddies were looking for the gun hidden in the grass when we were there.

And that is the point of posting about it. Don't assume people know nothing or have limited experiences. And please cut the sarcasm, it's not needed or warranted.
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigrich » 14 Apr 2023, 7:38 am

animalpest wrote:Fionn you missed my point. You attack and criticise people with sarcasm and try to take a higher intellectual stand. And you assume too much of people's knowledge and experiences.

Yes, it was "exciting" for ALL involved. And it could have very nearly ended with tragic consequences for me and others given the baddies were looking for the gun hidden in the grass when we were there.

And that is the point of posting about it. Don't assume people know nothing or have limited experiences. And please cut the sarcasm, it's not needed or warranted.

i agree with your assessment AP . but fionn seems to get off on all the drama and attention he (or she? ) gets . by the same token of fionn's posts, i could say i'm a neuclear scientist who's also published several papers on the subject , but i won't bother explaining to the lesser mortals on this forum . ;)
i think fionn is a narcissist who over rates his knowledge and intellectual abilities on a online forum , and gets derogatory when called out over his (or her) lack of real experience or knowledge . why , because he (or she) can . there's no accountability on a online forum . :roll:

E=MC/2 , einstein's relativity theory . fionn i'd explain the rest , but a simpleton like you just wouldn't understand :P
bigrich
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by Fionn » 14 Apr 2023, 9:14 am

animalpest wrote:Fionn you missed my point. You attack and criticise people with sarcasm and try to take a higher intellectual stand. And you assume too much of people's knowledge and experiences.

You seriously think I missed you point? I know your point, it's just that its rather badly thought out and pointless.

Just because something is incredulous and out of the ordinary for you doesn't mean it's not mundane and simple for others.

Instead of veiled threats and personal attacks like you engage in, I think I will stick with intellect and sarcasm. :drinks:
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Fionn » 14 Apr 2023, 9:27 am

bigrich wrote:

i agree with your assessment AP . but fionn seems to get off on all the drama and attention he (or she? ) gets . by the same token of fionn's posts, i could say i'm a neuclear scientist who's also published several papers on the subject , but i won't bother explaining to the lesser mortals on this forum . ;)
i think fionn is a narcissist who over rates his knowledge and intellectual abilities on a online forum , and gets derogatory when called out over his (or her) lack of real experience or knowledge . why , because he (or she) can . there's no accountability on a online forum . :roll:

E=MC/2 , einstein's relativity theory . fionn i'd explain the rest , but a simpleton like you just wouldn't understand :P

Please feel free to start a new thread explaining Einstein's theory of special relativity as I am always up for a laugh especially given that you don't know the correct name of the theory it's going to be a hoot :D
Fionn
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 14 Apr 2023, 10:06 am

Fionn wrote:

You seriously think I missed you point? I know your point, it's just that its rather badly thought out and pointless.

Just because something is incredulous and out of the ordinary for you doesn't mean it's not mundane and simple for others.

Instead of veiled threats and personal attacks like you engage in, I think I will stick with intellect and sarcasm. :drinks:

Haha. So mundane you find submachine guns all the time hey?

No veiled threats or personal attacks, that's entirely your style. I will stick with intellect and real world experience and leave the rest to you.

Meanwhile back to shooting Sambar...
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 14 Apr 2023, 10:39 am

Oldbloke wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Don't interact with this pigeon. The more he posts the more pigeon sh1t he drops in the forum. By his own admission is only here for his entertainment.
Certainly not to provide any useful information or intelligent conversation.
Last edited by Oldbloke on 14 Apr 2023, 2:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 14 Apr 2023, 11:58 am

:drinks: Agreed. Let's talk about guns
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigpete » 14 Apr 2023, 12:36 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
Oldbloke wrote:
Fionn wrote:

Don't interact with this pidgeon. The more he posts the more pidgeon sh1t he drops in the forum. By his own admission is only here for his entertainment.
Certainly not to provide any useful information or intelligent conversation.

" pigeon " ;)
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey