Night hunting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Night hunting

Post by pagun » 09 Feb 2023, 9:28 pm

I think vic is the only public land night hunting state (pests only and "non specified deer habitat".

U guys into it?

I just got a thermal handheld ($750) and the pard ds35 ($1500) - onboard LRF/ ballistic calc works a treat on my tikka 308.

Off to big desert state forest this weekend. Try out the tripod
Tikka t3x superlite aspire 308 / pard ds35 70lrf night vision.
Sulun tac-12 12 guage / hawke reflexdot.
CZ455 stainless american 22lr / pard ds35 50lrf night vision.
Hikmicro LE10 Thermal handheld
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Re: Night hunting

Post by womble » 10 Feb 2023, 3:22 am

I’m not into it but yes people hunt public land with thermals at night. All sorts of interesting people… what can I say. Ever seen that movie wolf creek. But perhaps more importantly, I hope you like steep climbing and descents with the occasional falls and tumbles.
because the deer love it.

Big desert. Believe it or not I actually heard a fox calling it’s cubs camping at big billy bore about a year back. Really didnt think anything would be out that far. Probably more likely to see stuff around the outskirts.
But I have seen a few wild dogs in there in the past.
There are waterholes throughout could be worth settling in for the wait with your snake friends, holding what appears to be the annual national snake convention.
Well it’s a beautiful spot, amazing night sky. Campsites have been refurbished, bbqs, shade, drop toilet. There’s another new camp further down not on the maps yet.
I would invest in a tall sand flag because you get oncoming dirt bikes coming over dunes ferrying brothers sisters cousins inter cousins.
Fuel this is important. The town before you enter from the north. Forgot the name. Upperbumfuck west or something. Yeah they don’t sell fuel, or only on sundays or something. And the next nearest is not very near at all.
Seriously do it, you will love the spot. Middle of nowhere is not that far to get to and it’s great.
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by deye243 » 10 Feb 2023, 3:30 am

NIGHT ...... hunting now there is a weird thing not hunting no f****** way......
that is like spot lighting no not hunting
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2023, 1:50 pm

deye243 wrote:NIGHT ...... hunting now there is a weird thing not hunting no f****** way......
that is like spot lighting no not hunting

Yeh, fair chase. :lol: :lol: :lol:

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Actually, how far will some go to shoot game/pests and claim to be a great hunter?

4x4 including winch
Rifle shoots 300 yards
Scopes
Range finders
Cammo
Spot lights
NV gear
Satellite maps
GPS
UHF Radio
Mobile phone
Electronic callers
Baits

Some are traditional and still be considered fair chase. But, really is there a limit?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by womble » 10 Feb 2023, 3:24 pm

*I wouldn’t expect to find any game in big desert, but you never know. Been raining heavy in places it never does.
But if he takes out some ferals then that’s honest work no matter how he’s equipped for it.
Nothing wrong with someone taking out the garbage. The native species to the region have no other defence .
I dream of a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned
womble
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2023, 4:33 pm

womble wrote:*I wouldn’t expect to find any game in big desert, but you never know. Been raining heavy in places it never does.
But if he takes out some ferals then that’s honest work no matter how he’s equipped for it.
Nothing wrong with someone taking out the garbage. The native species to the region have no other defence .

Last time I was up that way a fox got in the way of my 223. Yes it's good. I'm sure the Malley Fowl will appreciate it.

But pls don't call it hunting.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pagun » 10 Feb 2023, 6:01 pm

womble wrote:I’m not into it but yes people hunt public land with thermals at night. All sorts of interesting people… what can I say. Ever seen that movie wolf creek. But perhaps more importantly, I hope you like steep climbing and descents with the occasional falls and tumbles.
because the deer love it.

Big desert. Believe it or not I actually heard a fox calling it’s cubs camping at big billy bore about a year back. Really didnt think anything would be out that far. Probably more likely to see stuff around the outskirts.
But I have seen a few wild dogs in there in the past.
There are waterholes throughout could be worth settling in for the wait with your snake friends, holding what appears to be the annual national snake convention.
Well it’s a beautiful spot, amazing night sky. Campsites have been refurbished, bbqs, shade, drop toilet. There’s another new camp further down not on the maps yet.
I would invest in a tall sand flag because you get oncoming dirt bikes coming over dunes ferrying brothers sisters cousins inter cousins.
Fuel this is important. The town before you enter from the north. Forgot the name. Upperbumfuck west or something. Yeah they don’t sell fuel, or only on sundays or something. And the next nearest is not very near at all.
Seriously do it, you will love the spot. Middle of nowhere is not that far to get to and it’s great.

Thx wombs really helpful. Let u know how i go.

Fyi yr not allowed to hunt deer at nite on public land
Last edited by pagun on 10 Feb 2023, 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by pagun » 10 Feb 2023, 6:04 pm

Wtf guys shootin ferals at nite isnt hunting?! You guys only use rocks n spears?
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by pagun » 10 Feb 2023, 6:09 pm

Anyway... i finally got the hikmicro handheld thermal goin on VLC on a spare phone (i have the ip address if anyine wants) .
On my other phone ill stream the new night vision pard ds35 off the tripod for id.

Man that pard.. the onboard LRF means the ballistic calc software adjusts the crosshairs auto.. talk about ethical. The PRS boys call me "cheater" lmaaaa
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 10 Feb 2023, 6:33 pm

pagun wrote:Wtf guys shootin ferals at nite isnt hunting?! You guys only use rocks n spears?

I was given 5 hand grenades a few years ago. I think I will go sports fishing and perhaps claim a record.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by pagun » 10 Feb 2023, 7:23 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
pagun wrote:Wtf guys shootin ferals at nite isnt hunting?! You guys only use rocks n spears?

I was given 5 hand grenades a few years ago. I think I will go sports fishing and perhaps claim a record.

tell me Oldblokes rules of hunting please?

(FYI i dont care what we label shooting ferals day or nite)
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by bladeracer » 10 Feb 2023, 7:27 pm

It's not generally considered "hunting" because there is no "fair chase" involved. It's considered culling I think.
I don't consider it to be hunting but every dead feral is a good step forward so go for it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 10 Feb 2023, 7:50 pm

bladeracer wrote:

It's not generally considered "hunting" because there is no "fair chase" involved. It's considered culling I think.
I don't consider it to be hunting but every dead feral is a good step forward so go for it.

Shooting at night is not hunting unless you are on foot and not using a spotlight in my view.

Yep, hunting requires the rules of fair chase.

Culling has an outcome such as population reduction programs. Shooting a fox or three is not culling.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by pagun » 10 Feb 2023, 7:52 pm

i cant change the title to "night culling" lol
cheers gents
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 10 Feb 2023, 8:44 pm

pagun wrote:i cant change the title to "night culling" lol
cheers gents

Narh Don't worry about it we're just taking the piss Spotlighting is Spotlighting hunting is hunting
deye243
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Die Judicii » 10 Feb 2023, 10:57 pm

Via an "old" dictionary,,,,,,,,

hunt, vt To chase, search for, or follow after (wild animals), particularly quadrupeds for the purpose of catching or killing; to seek to catch or shoot; to pursue after; to follow closely; to use, direct, or manage, as hounds in the chase; to pursue animals over, === to follow the chase; to seek wild animals for game, or for killing them by shooting when noxious; to seek by close pursuit; to search.

hunter, One who hunts; a huntsman; a horse used in the chase, a kind of spider.

hunting, the act or practice of pursuing wild animals; the chase; the pursuit of foxes by hounds.

huntsmanship, the art or practice of hunting; the qualifications of a hunter.

So,,,,,, I'm guessing all of the above,,,, done in the dark of night would equate to "Night Hunting"

Hoo Haa it if you will,,,,,,,,, but when I'm asked to hunt down and kill feral dogs,,,,,,,, that's precisely what I do.
I'm with the OP on this one. :thumbsup: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by pagun » 13 Feb 2023, 9:44 pm

I forgot my bolt lol. But the ir and thermal handheld was much easier wifi-ing to phones. Oh well, went to the club after and squeezed a few off and actually dropped in and chatted with the f class boys on the way out
Goin to watch the nrl (national rifle league) next sunday at monarto. Good timed
pagun
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey