appropriate 7mm projectile for rusa (7mm-08)

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

appropriate 7mm projectile for rusa (7mm-08)

Post by rossfrb » 31 May 2023, 11:47 am

Hi all
Advice sought from those that know.

I'm hoping to have a crack at some rusa in a few months.
I'm a meat hunter not a trophy hunter. I'll be leaving any big stags alone, hoping to pot spikers/spikas (?) or does.
Unknown at the moment is the likely distance, however I'm comfortable potting fallow at up to ~150m so lets say that'd be the max range.
Understand that rusa can be bigger than fallow.
The nosler 140gr ballistic tip from a 7mm-08 at just over 2800 FPS has been the business for fallow (heart/lung shots).

Am I safe assuming they'll be just as good on the larger rusa for side on heart/lung shots?
Deer being such nervous creatures (in my experience) forever looking around, moving their heads and necks - I'm wary of trying for a head and neck shot.

Lastly just how much meat can one expect to get from say a 90kg deer?

Regards
rossfrb
Private
Private

New South Wales

Re: appropriate 7mm projectile for rusa (7mm-08)

Post by Oldbloke » 31 May 2023, 11:59 am

I see no reason why they wouldn't work. But no personal experience.

140 bal tip.jpg
140 bal tip.jpg (9.42 KiB) Viewed 1074 times
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 31 May 2023, 1:54 pm

rossfrb wrote:Hi all
Advice sought from those that know.

I'm hoping to have a crack at some rusa in a few months.
I'm a meat hunter not a trophy hunter. I'll be leaving any big stags alone, hoping to pot spikers/spikas (?) or does.
Unknown at the moment is the likely distance, however I'm comfortable potting fallow at up to ~150m so lets say that'd be the max range.
Understand that rusa can be bigger than fallow.
The nosler 140gr ballistic tip from a 7mm-08 at just over 2800 FPS has been the business for fallow (heart/lung shots).

Am I safe assuming they'll be just as good on the larger rusa for side on heart/lung shots?
Deer being such nervous creatures (in my experience) forever looking around, moving their heads and necks - I'm wary of trying for a head and neck shot.

Lastly just how much meat can one expect to get from say a 90kg deer?

Regards

I'm leaning toward copper bullets (Barnes) for deer. You don't need as much mass as a jacketed bullet as copper tends to stay together rather than blow apart. You can also generally step down a bit on weight for that reason which can give you a little more velocity. Downside is mainly reduced range to achieve the higher terminal velocity required. Very expensive so I wouldn't use copper for other targets.

Meat will depend on how deep you want to go. If you have to carry it a few kilometers out of difficult terrain you might just want to grab the backstraps and perhaps the loins. If you're dropping it on a farm where you can get a vehicle to it and want to butcher it to the max possible you should get close to 50% of the live weight after mincing and sausaging all the smaller stuff.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 31 May 2023, 4:19 pm

i used a 150 accubond (2625fps) in my 7-08 tikka on a 14 point red stag and sat it on it's butt . wasn't a fast load , but stupidly accurate, 2209 , fed 210 . i reckon your 140bt's should be fine on a rusa . shot placement is more relevant :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by CRF » 01 Jun 2023, 8:11 pm

Dont overthink it. I shoot most of my deer with spheres of lead these days.
CRF
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 0ld and stupid » 12 Jun 2023, 6:46 pm

In the USA something like 80%+ are killed inside of 200yards. A 7mm08 or 270 are over kill. Even old shaky buggers like me can arrange a heart lung shot with an appropriate 243 w a 115 gn at that range and a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 130g projectile will drop a rusa just as quiickly as a 300WM. I f you cant, forget it.
0ld and stupid
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by GeoffCorbett » 27 Jun 2023, 8:35 pm

Mate the 140grains of 7-08 is great medicine for Rusa. The Nosler will do just fine. I use fusions or interlocks depending on how close in I’m getting. Bang. Flop.
GeoffCorbett
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by JohnV » 01 Jul 2023, 7:30 pm

I agree 140 grain is plenty and a Rusa is not much bigger than a Fallow .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by JohnV » 01 Jul 2023, 7:31 pm

double posting
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey