308 factory ammo for deer - so many options! Help!

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: 308 factory ammo for deer - so many options! Help!

Post by bigpete » 03 Aug 2023, 1:13 pm

mchughcb wrote:I'd also think about a case of osa with the 165gr gameking projectiles. Keep the brass,its good brass.

Good idea
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Jorlcrin » 04 Aug 2023, 12:02 pm

"I wonder if I can get a Vmax in 130gr..."

I use Hornady 125gn SST pills for light game in my Ruger Precision .308, and it would be my go-to loading for anything up to medium-sized pigs.

Too light for larger deer, but for lighter game they are pretty devastating, and very predictable out to about 350 metres.
49.0gns AR2208 is giving me around 3050fps from a 20" barrel.
No signs of over-pressure on the fired cases(mostly OSA/ADI brass).

This loading seems to be close to the federal 130gn JHP factory loads, which were devastating enough to see if I could replicate them in a polymer-tipped projectile.
I've tried a few of the 110gn Vmax pills, and found that both the factory loadings and my own reloads, were great up to about 200 metres, but groupings spread out quickly past that.
The 125SST loads are (for me) much tighter out to my engagement limit(~350 metres).
I'm loading up some 150gn SST loads for larger pigs; I started out in .308 using 150gn Nosler Ballistic Tips, so I know they do the job for heavier game.
No deer where I am, so not much use for the heavier projectiles.
But when we had a feral cattle problem about 10 years back, also found the 168gn Z-max/A-Max loads worked a treat.
I still have about 1000 168 Zmax projectiles left, if we find the pigs arent responding to the lighter touch.
Jorlcrin
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Flyonline » 07 Aug 2023, 7:35 pm

Oldbloke wrote:
bladeracer wrote:It can't be that difficult......

Pretty well spot on BL. I am also self taught.

:thumbsup: Thanks guys
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey