My Hog Deer Hunt

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: My Hog Deer Hunt

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2024, 11:11 am

Well,decided to pull pins and leg it home before the s**t weather hits. Seemed pointless to move camp for one afternoon and risk getting everything wet just prior to leaving. I'm satisfied. Next year I'll have a bit more of a game plan and better areas,this trip I went off what a mate was telling me too much and a lot of what he said was wrong.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Apr 2024, 1:52 pm

That's a shame. Long drive for you I know.

You can't stick it out to scout around for just 1 more day?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 04 Apr 2024, 3:14 pm

Bugger. Still better than working…. Reminds me. When I used to hunt Himalayan thar on the west coast of nz sometimes we used to get stuck inside the tent for days Not only is it wet and miserable but u just can’t hunt what u can’t see so best to stay in the tent. Eventually you wake up one morning and you look at the white snow capped tops and they have this insanely beautiful golden yellow glow on them from the sun hitting them. That’s when you gobble down a breakfast , lash on your boots and fly up those hills.
Blr243
Major General
Major General

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2024, 4:19 pm

I'm satisfied. We're halfway across the state already lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Flyonline » 04 Apr 2024, 6:17 pm

Bugger, but at least you're going home happy and are ahead for next time. I thought there was a ballot? Are you guaranteed a spot next year?

What's the lowdown on the sambar, are you encouraged to shoot them to keep the numbers down so they don't take over?

Keen to see one of those white lipped snakes, don't have them around here.

Thanks otherwise :thumbsup:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Wm.Traynor » 04 Apr 2024, 7:04 pm

Better luck next time, bigpete :thumbsup:
Wm.Traynor
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Queensland

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2024, 8:15 pm

Flyonline wrote:Bugger, but at least you're going home happy and are ahead for next time. I thought there was a ballot? Are you guaranteed a spot next year?

What's the lowdown on the sambar, are you encouraged to shoot them to keep the numbers down so they don't take over?

Keen to see one of those white lipped snakes, don't have them around here.

Thanks otherwise :thumbsup:

You don't need to enter the ballot to hunt public land during the season.
Definitely not allowed to shoot anything other than hog deer,ducks,or quail,in season,where I was.
That snake was gorgeous and if I'd actually known what it was when I saw it I'd have been tempted to catch it lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 04 Apr 2024, 8:19 pm

Wm.Traynor wrote:Better luck next time, bigpete :thumbsup:

Cheers. There's a reason they're considered extremely difficult on public land lol. It took me me the cumulative effort of 2 weeks to shoot my first sambar so 4 days to shoot a hoggy was a bit hopeful lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 05 Apr 2024, 4:03 pm

bigpete wrote:

Cheers. There's a reason they're considered extremely difficult on public land lol. It took me me the cumulative effort of 2 weeks to shoot my first sambar so 4 days to shoot a hoggy was a bit hopeful lol

Its not just public land, the grass is that high they can move within metres of you and you can't see them. I took more than 3 months to hunt my first sambar on public land. What a lot of the posters do is shoot on private land with improved pasture and exclusive access then carefully edit out the fences and then bang on how easy it is.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2024, 4:11 pm

mchughcb wrote:
bigpete wrote:

Its not just public land, the grass is that high they can move within metres of you and you can't see them. I took more than 3 months to hunt my first sambar on public land. What a lot of the posters do is shoot on private land with improved pasture and exclusive access then carefully edit out the fences and then bang on how easy it is.

Yes or use IR, NV or spotlights.
Any idiot can shoot a sambar with a spot light.

They are far from easy if its fair chase.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 05 Apr 2024, 4:46 pm

No some idiots can't even do that.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 05 Apr 2024, 5:25 pm

Next year I have a much better plan and I'll actually practice sitting still for long periods of time,and getting better gear. And of course I've got a far better idea of where to go and what to look for. I'm determined to get one lol. Would love to get one with a muzzleloader lol
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Apr 2024, 5:34 pm

bigpete wrote:Next year I have a much better plan and I'll actually practice sitting still for long periods of time,and getting better gear. And of course I've got a far better idea of where to go and what to look for. I'm determined to get one lol. Would love to get one with a muzzleloader lol

That would be COOOOOL
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 05 Apr 2024, 11:20 pm

bigpete wrote:Next year I have a much better plan and I'll actually practice sitting still for long periods of time,and getting better gear. And of course I've got a far better idea of where to go and what to look for. I'm determined to get one lol. Would love to get one with a muzzleloader lol

I spent 2 days scouting abd a day with the Guru Ronnie maize. I spent a few hours every night leading up to the hunt sitting my lone wolf assault hang on stand out the back. The secret is to fin a funnel or water hole and sit for hours. People who think they can walk them up like sambar are doing it the wrong way. Other way to do is get several mates to run an emu line and push them out but that requires a bit of coordination. All tie times I've been able to put the bead on a hoggie is by working our where they are funnelling and sit very quietly with the wind in my face and cammo.

To be clear that's all during the day on public land.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 07 Apr 2024, 9:02 am

I have really enjoyed your hunt I hope you get a nice one we don't have them here
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Flyonline » 07 Apr 2024, 12:22 pm

bigpete wrote:
Definitely not allowed to shoot anything other than hog deer,ducks,or quail,in season,where I was.
That snake was gorgeous and if I'd actually known what it was when I saw it I'd have been tempted to catch it lol

Ahh, for some reason I thought you had to enter the ballot to get the tags, but that's just for the balloted areas. Good to know thanks :thumbsup:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2024, 4:59 pm

OK, I thought it was a ballot thing too. I'll be buggered.

Sooo, Pete, what are you planning for next year?
What will you do differently?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 07 Apr 2024, 5:09 pm

Flyonline wrote:
bigpete wrote:

Ahh, for some reason I thought you had to enter the ballot to get the tags, but that's just for the balloted areas. Good to know thanks :thumbsup:

You need to win the ballot to hunt boole poole, blond Bay or snake Island legally. You can hunt other game reserves along the coast as long as you have your tags. After each season you must fill out an online game report. If not I think they won't issue tags to following season.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Flyonline » 07 Apr 2024, 5:22 pm

mchughcb wrote:
You need to win the ballot to hunt boole poole, blond Bay or snake Island legally. You can hunt other game reserves along the coast as long as you have your tags. After each season you must fill out an online game report. If not I think they won't issue tags to following season.

Thanks, for some reason I thought it was only the balloted areas that were open for hunting :unknown:

Gives me a chance then.... :drinks:
Flyonline
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Apr 2024, 5:28 pm

Mmm, don't you have to be a member of some co-op to hunt Sunday Is?

Knew a keen hunter yrs ago. IIRC i thought he had to pay to become a member (not cheap) and do some work there every year?
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 07 Apr 2024, 5:47 pm

mchughcb wrote:
Flyonline wrote:
bigpete wrote:

s**t,that reminds me,need to fill that report out
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Apr 2024, 5:53 pm

Oldbloke wrote:OK, I thought it was a ballot thing too. I'll be buggered.

Sooo, Pete, what are you planning for next year?
What will you do differently?

Next year I have a much better place to go check out for starters.
Instead of trying to do any form of stalking I'll be doing the old sit and wait routine. I'll probably forego the mornings and just sit the afternoons till dark. I'll be using my hammock rather than my folding chair,as any more than an hour on that seriously inflames my sciatic nerve. Basically I'll find a better area and just make sure I sit my arse down for a long time.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by bigpete » 07 Apr 2024, 6:28 pm

Well,just filled the report out. What a pain in the ass.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by mchughcb » 07 Apr 2024, 7:12 pm

bigpete wrote:Well,just filled the report out. What a pain in the ass.

The alternative is no public hunting
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bigpete » 07 Apr 2024, 7:29 pm

They could set things up a bit easier. Took me 15 minutes just to log into MyGL then another 15 to work out how to find the form lol.
bigpete
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by deye243 » 07 Apr 2024, 9:52 pm

bigpete wrote:They could set things up a bit easier. Took me 15 minutes just to log into MyGL then another 15 to work out how to find the form lol.

Go's to show how long ago I used to do it all the forms used to come in the mail with your tags with a return envelope .
Easy as .
deye243
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Victoria

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey