Hunting without camo

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting without camo

Post by cuvy » 06 Jul 2014, 6:40 pm

Scent, noise and movement are far more important than whether or not you're wearing camo patterns.

Don't use deodorant, scented soaps/body washes/shampoos, wash your clothes in fragrance free (sensitive) washing powder with white vinegar in the fabric softener compartment (it helps rinse the detergent residue away). Smoke seems to help - whether it masks your smell or the ash particle absorb scent (think charcoal filtration) I'm not sure. Control your noise when you're moving, don't make sudden movements or make eye contact, try to seek cover to break up your outline.

Cams don't hurt, but they don't help unless you've got the above stuff sorted first. Once I was sitting on a log about 1m beside a path talking on the phone when a Chittal deer (who was alert from others I was out with) trot past me. Of course I didn't have a gun. He stopped about 5m away, I slowly turned. It was only after I made and held eye contact for a second or so that he noticed me and then bolted. I was wearing plain brown pants, green long sleeve shirt and had a desert tan backpack on.
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Die Judicii » 06 Jul 2014, 10:35 pm

vexesus wrote:
Die Judicii wrote:I agree with headspace, It doesn't matter if your wearing the best camo ever, , If your waving arms or making sudden movements you will get sprung EVERYTIME.

Can't say that I wave my arms around a lot in the forest so good to know I had that right :lol:

Hi Vexesus,

Go for it big fellah, you wave as much as you can, you have the right, and the power. :lol:

But on the serious side, its amazing how many (especially newbies) that do so without even thinking.

One of the worst traps I used to fall into as a young fella was on either a stinking hot day or a cold frosty morning.

Your either sweating profusely, or your nose starts running, and without thinking you drag your handkerchief out of the pocket. :x
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by vexesus » 07 Jul 2014, 11:07 am

Die Judicii wrote:Go for it big fellah, you wave as much as you can, you have the right, and the power. :lol:

Maybe it'll confuse them into standing still for a shot :D
vexesus
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by whert » 07 Jul 2014, 11:08 am

cuvy wrote:Once I was sitting on a log about 1m beside a path talking on the phone when a Chittal deer (who was alert from others I was out with) trot past me. Of course I didn't have a gun.

You sound pretty zen about it.

I'd be pissed, ha ha.
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 08 Jul 2014, 8:17 pm

Camo is an absolute must when shooting birds, stand still in plain green and they will all veer off, do the same in camo and only about a third veer off. Use the shadow and sun properly and 100% get a load flung at them.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by scrolllock » 09 Jul 2014, 2:02 pm

whert wrote:You sound pretty zen about it.

I'd be pissed, ha ha.

Damn right! :lol:
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by cuvy » 10 Jul 2014, 8:14 am

whert wrote:You sound pretty zen about it.

I'd be pissed, ha ha.

I did for a moment consider trying to crash tackle him....
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Noisydad » 11 Jul 2014, 7:35 am

Westy wrote:I'm not sold on the UV washing powder trip myself!

Shot the largest boar of my life in a pair of stubbies, Jim boots and a jackie howe! Maybe he was coming closer for a look as I can make anything look good :lol: :D :lol:

Oh, yeah and it was 30 years ago when stubbies were still in fashion :oops: :P :oops:

Now there's a mental picture I didn't need in my head! I bet that Hot Chocolate's "You sexy Thing" plays in your head every time you walk in a room wearing that gear! :lol: :lol: :lol:
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by whert » 11 Jul 2014, 12:15 pm

cuvy wrote:I did for a moment consider trying to crash tackle him....

Bah ha ha. Maybe you could carry him back to camp and someone with a rifle handy :D
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey