What decided the gun dog breeds?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: What decided the gun dog breeds?

Post by pomemax » 24 Feb 2016, 10:41 pm

I used to have a scotish deer hound before all this regulation best deer dog out there
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scottish_Deerhound
on some time we used a few greyhounds
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Post by mchughcb » 25 Feb 2016, 8:01 am

The original hounds that hunted from Werribee mansion where Scottish deer hounds.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by p3seven » 24 Jul 2017, 10:07 am

Uncle had pig dogs to protect his Sugarcane fields. Selection criteria was easy. They had to hate pigs and had to run faster than pigs. Anything else was sent to doggie heaven. Brutal but efficient. He ended up with a type suitable for his needs.
Needs must, in different hunting situations led to the development of hunting breeds as different as the Dashaund and the Wolfhound.
The prescription of certain breeds for use in hunting specific animals seems non productive to the development of good tytpes of hunting dogs.
Henry 22lr
Savage ll BTVS 22lr
Howa 1500 243 W
p3seven
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Bosbefok » 24 Jul 2017, 10:36 am

vexesus wrote:Hi guys,

I'm not looking to do deer hunting with hounds, but was killing some time reading about hunting stuff and found the breeds of dogs your allowed to stalk deer with in Victoria.

It's short as... The list from DEPI website is...

• Border Terrier
  • Fox Terrier (smooth)
  • Fox Terrier (wire)
  • German Hunting Terrier (Jagd Terrier)
  • Jack Russell Terrier
  • Finnish Spitz
  • Norwegian Elkhound
  • Dachshund

All pretty small dogs... Not everyone wants a yapper.

There must be heaps of dogs that are capable of this right? All the herding dogs?

Things like cattle dog, border collie, german shepherd, heelers... There must be like 100 dogs that could do it?

Sheep herding breeds (shepherd, border collie, heelers etc) are not ideal for hunting. They chase moving objects. They would take chase to try to round up an animal and if you do not have sufficient control you will lose your dog.

All dogs come from wolves. Through selective breeding we have our breeds today. A wolf has a routine that ends up in a kill. Track, stalk, chase, bite and kill.

Hunting breeds have generally had the "bite" and "kill" part of their modified stalking routine bred out of them. Breeders of the past have instead focused on the initial few steps in this routine i.e. a good GSP will track and have a modified stalk (point). But should not give chase and bite or kill.

Sheep herding breeds will stalk and chase but should not bite or kill sheep. etc. This generally makes them unsuitable for hunting. You may find exceptions to the rule in every breed.
Winchester 250 .22lr
Remington 673 .243
Remington Cld .25-06
Ruger Hawkeye ll .308
Rossi .44 mag
Bosbefok
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by pomemax » 24 Jul 2017, 1:20 pm

When i used to have dogs we had over many years
Norwegian Elk hound worst dog i ever had it was like a cat you would call him he would look at you like you talking to me then do his own thing .
It was like he was was thinking I don,t speak English
Some of the dogs we had English springer ,s deer hounds, Bull terriers, elk hounds jack Russell my daughter wanted a Dachshund it was the most aggressive dog we ever had it would have a go at anything and it was called Cecil I still laugh about him now never thought about taking him bush I could see him hunting well
pomemax
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

New South Wales

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey