Shooting sticks vs tall bipod

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Shooting sticks vs tall bipod

Post by dorpel » 05 Jun 2014, 9:56 am

Hi guys,

Looking for some advice before I drop the cash on one of these.

I'd like a rest for shooting on the go while kneeling (or close enough to it).

I think this leaves me with the options of the Harris HB25CS, 13&1/2" to 27" bipod. Or shooting sticks.

I've never used a bipod that high or sticks at all.

What do you guys find works best? Benefits of one over the other? Or problems?

Thanks all.
dorpel
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Re: Shooting sticks vs tall bipod

Post by Shotfox » 05 Jun 2014, 10:19 am

Depending on the calibre I would tend to lean towards the sticks. WHY? . I use a Harris bipod on my Tikka 223 and that would be definitely the largest calibre I would use a Harris bipod on because of the rifle recoil.

The bipod has no back or forward movement and depending on the ground surface tends to jump when you fire and subsequently affects accuracy. On the up side the Harris is quick to unfold in the field, very sturdy unit.

I recommend an ATLAS bipod as it has the ability to recoil with the rifle and can also be moved through a 180 degree sweep.

You can also lock it into place easily. It is a little more labour intensive in the field however if you have a large calibre I would recommend the Atlas.
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 05 Jun 2014, 10:46 am

I've used shooting sticks as you can set them to standing height and carry them like that. If you can shoot standing why kneel? You can also lean it against a branch for a tripod effect.

That said I've just ordered the Harris you mentioned with a 25" max height. It will go on the .204 for sitting on a hill looking for foxes. I got inspired to try it after seeing some pics from bigfellascott

I'll report back when I receive it.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Aussier » 08 Jun 2014, 5:30 pm

This is only by two cents, but sticks just don't work for me.

Carrying the extra item around gets on my nerves a little, so I go with a bipod always.

A bipod adds weight to the rifle though obviously so that's a downside. If it's not enough to negatively effect your shooting then it's still an option.

That's just me anyway.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by SendIt » 08 Jun 2014, 5:31 pm

Aussier wrote:A bipod adds weight to the rifle though obviously so that's a downside. If it's not enough to negatively effect your shooting then it's still an option.

Talking about a serious length bipod here too. Might be too much for me I think.

In this situation I'd go sticks.

2c.
Sako 85 Hunter Laminated Stainless 30-06 Sprg
Zeiss Conquest HD5 2-10x42

Winchester 1892 44-40
SendIt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Jun 2014, 10:06 pm

I use the Harris 25sc - works well, isn't heavy at all for me (I eat weetbix) :lol: I've shot foxes out to 300m + using it and rabbits in the head out to 250m+ - I haven't used shooting stix so can't say whether they are better or not.

Both should do the job for you - I'd base my decision on whether you're likely to be shooting in long grass type situations and what type of hunting you're doing in general, my decision was an easy one as I like shooting foxes so I bought the Harris for that purpose (sitting and whistling).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by dorpel » 09 Jun 2014, 11:15 am

bigfellascott wrote:I'd base my decision on whether you're likely to be shooting in long grass type situations and what type of hunting you're doing in general, my decision was an easy one as I like shooting foxes so I bought the Harris for that purpose (sitting and whistling).

Hey scott,

I'm hunting in the NT here so we have everything from the little critters to the big hoofed ones. I'm starting down the list and working my way up I guess.

Terrain is all types up here. We have blocks of waist-high grass and others of pretty open terrain.

Either will do the job I think, but Aussier covered it better than I asked it. Dealing with the weight all the time or carrying the extra pair... Hmmm...
dorpel
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by Harts » 09 Jun 2014, 11:16 am

You could always do some DIY shooting sticks and carry em around for a while as a test before you drop the cash on a 'proper' pair.

Find a few straight sticks or old broom handles or something.

Cheapo, but will give the idea to you.
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by dorpel » 09 Jun 2014, 11:16 am

Yeah I could. Nice.

There is a pair of old rakes in the shed... Time to crack out the saw and duct tape :)
dorpel
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jun 2014, 2:04 pm

dorpel wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I'd base my decision on whether you're likely to be shooting in long grass type situations and what type of hunting you're doing in general, my decision was an easy one as I like shooting foxes so I bought the Harris for that purpose (sitting and whistling).

Hey scott,

I'm hunting in the NT here so we have everything from the little critters to the big hoofed ones. I'm starting down the list and working my way up I guess.

Terrain is all types up here. We have blocks of waist-high grass and others of pretty open terrain.

Either will do the job I think, but Aussier covered it better than I asked it. Dealing with the weight all the time or carrying the extra pair... Hmmm...

I reckon the sticks might suit your situation better especially if you're shooting in waist high grass etc, maybe one of those monopod shooting sticks might be a bit easier to carry and use for you? have a look at the link below for some idea on what I'm talking about.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VANGUARD-PRO ... 4897.l5659
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by dorpel » 10 Jun 2014, 3:39 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I reckon the sticks might suit your situation better especially if you're shooting in waist high grass etc, maybe one of those monopod shooting sticks might be a bit easier to carry and use for you? have a look at the link below for some idea on what I'm talking about.

Not always in high grass but it's there in places.

Going to try the DIY broom handle sticks to start and see how that goes. Then will try out some of the others :)

Monopod could do the trick too.
dorpel
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Post by bigfellascott » 10 Jun 2014, 3:45 pm

dorpel wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I reckon the sticks might suit your situation better especially if you're shooting in waist high grass etc, maybe one of those monopod shooting sticks might be a bit easier to carry and use for you? have a look at the link below for some idea on what I'm talking about.

Not always in high grass but it's there in places.

Going to try the DIY broom handle sticks to start and see how that goes. Then will try out some of the others :)

Monopod could do the trick too.

Here's a vid on how to make some, might give you some ideas on what's involved - plenty of vids on Youtube on the subject so have a bit of a look around before you start, might help.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqsQjpx87zo
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by dorpel » 11 Jun 2014, 6:24 pm

Thanks Scott.
dorpel
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Shooting sticks vs bipods

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Aug 2014, 3:27 pm

OK,OK, The boss has already cracked the joke about "getting a bit chilly around Nobbies, Eh" but my little tush is getting wet and cold from sitting on the ground, so I've got a little Primus 3 legged stool to sit on.

Now, to compensate for the extra height, I'm looking at a Bog-Pod shooting rest - "Sportsman Model SB2" as I think a bipod might be a bit short.

Anyone tried something similar or any thoughts on the matter?

Cheers,
Last edited by Aster on 11 Aug 2014, 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: MERGED WITH EXISTING TOPIC COVERING MUCH OF THE SAME.
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: SHOOTING STICKS V BIPODS

Post by Oldbloke » 07 Aug 2014, 3:36 pm

I sit on a plastic garbage bag, to stay dry but have a stool to try next trip if required. Made shooting stix from some fibreglass tent poles, the ones with elastic in them used in igloo shaped tents. Its in 3 pieces and folds up faily short. Will need longer one when using the stool.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Aug 2014, 3:59 pm

Yeah, I've tried the garbage bag thing but didn't think of the tent pole idea. Thanks.

The Old knees ain't what they use to be and I like the little bit of height advantage from the stool too.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by AusC » 11 Aug 2014, 3:04 pm

RoginaJack wrote:The Old knees ain't what they use to be and I like the little bit of height advantage from the stool too.

Ever tried kneepads? I have a mate with one crook knee who does a bandage around his knee from top to bottom for a layer of warmth/padding then wears a kneepad on the bum leg.

Fixes the ache from the cold and lets him kneel.

Just a thought.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by RoginaJack » 11 Aug 2014, 8:32 pm

Actually, I was thinking along those very lines AusC and will have a look at the knee guards the downhill bikers or skateboarders wear.

Cheers,
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by AusC » 12 Aug 2014, 9:44 am

No worries mate.

I really does do wonder for him. He buggered his knee in a bike accident, damn close to breaking it off.

He wraps the bandage from about 2" below to 2" above the knee to brace everything and then protects it with the kneepad.

Half the time he moves better in the cold over the rough ground hunting with this on than he does walking around town without it.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by KWhorenet » 30 Nov 2014, 6:00 pm

Anyone tried either the PRS Medium Tripod with SSP1 cradle or SnipePod V2 sitting model ?

I'm considering both.

PRS Medium Tripod with SSP1 cradle http://www.sordaustralia.com/product.ph ... t=0&page=1
Thinking of this to carry and use when required with larger cal rifles. Will allow recoil. Can also be used as a sort of bench rest. A bit weighty at 750g but adjusts from 15cm (6") to 110cm (43") when fully extended.

SnipePod https://snipepod.com/V2SnipePod.html
I'm looking at SnipePod V2 30", sitting model ~ 25" - 30" for attaching to my 22lr and 22hornet. 5" height adjustment for sitting on un even ground. Attaches to rifle with supplied quick connect mount, sling attaches to this also. Light weight.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Nov 2014, 6:31 pm

The top one looks like my Camera Bipod just with a rifle cradle type thing on top and the bottom one looks as flimsy as all hell! You should be able to make a camera one easy enough and would cost a 1/3 of what they are flogging that one off for.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Nov 2014, 7:18 pm

Not mine but this was made with a camera bipod, the rifle cradle is made of PVC pipe with foam etc clued to it to give the rifle support and protection, simple but effective and won't cost you anywhere near $160 plus postage and you get the satisfaction of knowing you built it yourself!

http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/9849/newpaint003.jpg

P.S. I might use my camera bipod to do the same thing (won't be doing the camo thing but) :lol: mines got a insert thing which screws to the bottom of cameras and my Vortex Rangefinder for quick removal, I might use a piece of 4x4 and cut the U-shape out of that and then glue some foam/rubber padding onto it to help protect/support the rifle etc then glue a nut into the base of that and then attach that quick release insert thing onto that and its then quick release too!

Simple, effective, cheap - my kinda project! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by KWhorenet » 30 Nov 2014, 9:14 pm

I hear you Scott, the tri pod idea could be had by scouring the camera geeks forum classifieds for a used one without the attached 'mil-spec' price tag

the snipe-pod looks flimsy true but I think for my purposes it doesn't need to be rock solid or I'd end up with extra weight making it cumbersome to carry. If it supports better in the sitting position than my muppet arms can then it will do.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by bigfellascott » 30 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm

KWhorenet wrote:I hear you Scott, the tri pod idea could be had by scouring the camera geeks forum classifieds for a used one without the attached 'mil-spec' price tag

the snipe-pod looks flimsy true but I think for my purposes it doesn't need to be rock solid or I'd end up with extra weight making it cumbersome to carry. If it supports better in the sitting position than my muppet arms can then it will do.

Yeah mate I saw a tripod the other day at a garage sale for $10! :lol: bargain and perfect for this sort of thing, when you look at those ones you have links to that's all they are and as you point out now that they call em sniper or tactical they attract a ridiculous premium for not real reason (which is just a blatant ripoff as we know.

Best way to fix that is make your own and stick it to the thieving bastards! :D I'm going to get a piece of aluminium plate and bend it to suit my needs then I might put some foam/rubber etc to pad it with or I might make the U/shape piece to suit one of my sandbags (really all it has to do is provide a reasonably stable rest for the forend and I'm sure that this setup will work fine considering some of the the unusual rests I've used over the years that have all worked fine.

As for that flimsy looking one, i'd rethink that to be honest, not sure how that one would go? I guess roll the dice and see what happens, me I'd rather something with less flexibility to shoot off.

Anyway mate let us know how it all turns out and when I've gotten around to mine I'll post some pics of it. (mine will only be used for smashing bunnies) as I don't think they'd be that practical for much else (would be fine for things that stay still like rabbits but not much good for things like foxes etc) I've also got a drum stool that I sit on so the adjustability of the camera tripod will suit that perfectly and I could use it sitting on the ground too by the looks of it so there's some flexibility in it depending on how I want to use it (it could be used of the side of a hill too with the way the legs all adjust individually. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey