Need property to shoot near NOWRA??

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Need property to shoot near NOWRA??

Post by as1soldier » 09 Jun 2014, 1:29 pm

Seeking large size private property within short driving distance from South Nowra. Would like permission for sport/target shooting/hunting and camping.
Very reliable, ethical and reputable. Will abide by NSW police permission forms submission. Fully licensed A/B class holder. Current NSW game licence holder. Will assist with any feral animal issues. Have kelpie and jack russell as companions only - not hunting dogs. Girlfriend and I are members of SSAA.
Would appreciate any assistance. Thanks
"Through the mud, the blood, to the green fields beyond."
as1soldier
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Need property to shoot near NOWRA??

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jun 2014, 2:22 pm

Get out there and knock on doors mate, that's how most of us do it and it works if you approach it correctly. You might just be surprised at how many will say yes, I know I was. I moved to the country last year and I have around 14-15 properties now and I get offered them all the time these days.

It's just a matter of as I said approaching the subject with some common sense and striking up a conversation with them and eventually letting them know your interested in shooting (in my case I start talking about foxes) and I will ask them if they are having issues with foxes etc and if at all possible that I could come and whistle a few around their property, quite often they will say if you're interested you can shoot a few around here for me :lol:

Don't go carting the dogs around with you etc, just go on your own for a drive and if you see a farmer in a paddock pull over and have a chat, I've done that quite a few times and most times I will end up with a property to shoot on out of it. (Picked up one a few mths back by doing just that, saw a fella working in a paddock putting in a new gateway, mentioned what I was up to and he said if you'd like you can come and shoot a few foxes here too! :D I took his details and have been out a few times now poking around for foxes (took all of 5mins to get another property).

I now get farmers recommending me to other farmers and a few months back I picked up 4 properties in one hit because a farmer recommended me to another farmer and that farmer put me onto his neighbour too! :lol:

Also don't go rolling up in camo looking like some full retard mall ninja - just wear your everyday type clothes etc - just get out and talk to people you will see.

My mate was telling me today how he picked up a property - he was sitting on the side of the quiet country road having a cuppa and throwing the ball to his kelpie when a couple of cars came past, a few mins later a farmer drove up to see what he was upto, anyway it turns out the farmer thought my mate was a illegal pig hunter (apparently this fellas had trouble with them cutting his fences etc) anyway my mate explains what he's upto and the mentions he likes hunting foxes - ol mate said your welcome to come and shoot afew around here if you like! 11,000 hectares later my mate has yet again another property to shoot on.

I've done the same sort of thing, been driving out to a property to shoot foxes, saw a farmer on his motorbike approaching and pulled up to let him pass, he stopped to say thanks and G'day and I got talking to him and mentioned I was heading to a property up the road to shoot some foxes etc and he said ya welcome to shoot on mine too if you want too, I took his details etc and picked up a heap of land adjoining the property I regularly shoot on! :lol: It's that easy if you bother to try.

Good luck and happy property hunting.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by as1soldier » 09 Jun 2014, 2:38 pm

Thanks mate - all good advice. Will try and get out and give it a go. I just moved here from VIC so I don't know many people or better areas to try. Have been chatting to the local gun shop blokes, no luck yet. Working long hours doesn't help. Can't believe how many deer are running around here!
as1soldier
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 09 Jun 2014, 4:16 pm

as1soldier wrote:Thanks mate - all good advice. Will try and get out and give it a go. I just moved here from VIC so I don't know many people or better areas to try. Have been chatting to the local gun shop blokes, no luck yet. Working long hours doesn't help. Can't believe how many deer are running around here!

Your welcome mate, I know how you feel, I moved from Qld early last year so know what its like, like I said its just a matter of getting out and asking the question, eventually you will crack it. I was lucky as the first person I asked said yes! I wasn't even looking for a property, I just went for a bit of a drive to explore the new area I moved too, went down this little dirt track and saw a heap of bunnies darting around the place, kept driving and eventually came across a sheep property, saw a bloke fishing on a dam, so asked if he was the owner which he wasn't but he said the owner should be up at the home so I drove up, knocked on the door and introduced myself, got chatting about his property and sheep etc and asked if he would mind if I come out some time to shoot a few bunnies for food, also mentioned I like whistling foxes etc, he said not a problem, so I gave him my details, I got his and I said I'll give you a call when I'm ready to come out and we can go from there, been shooting on it ever since, the bunnies have all but disappeared now (myxo etc) but I've been rolling a few foxes on it from time to time so all good.

I honestly don't care if I do or don't shoot anything, I just love being in the bush just sitting and taking in all the sounds and smells etc, a great way to spend a day, shooting something is just a bonus to me.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by as1soldier » 08 Apr 2015, 6:23 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
as1soldier wrote:Thanks mate - all good advice. Will try and get out and give it a go. I just moved here from VIC so I don't know many people or better areas to try. Have been chatting to the local gun shop blokes, no luck yet. Working long hours doesn't help. Can't believe how many deer are running around here!

Your welcome mate, I know how you feel, I moved from Qld early last year so know what its like, like I said its just a matter of getting out and asking the question, eventually you will crack it. I was lucky as the first person I asked said yes! I wasn't even looking for a property, I just went for a bit of a drive to explore the new area I moved too, went down this little dirt track and saw a heap of bunnies darting around the place, kept driving and eventually came across a sheep property, saw a bloke fishing on a dam, so asked if he was the owner which he wasn't but he said the owner should be up at the home so I drove up, knocked on the door and introduced myself, got chatting about his property and sheep etc and asked if he would mind if I come out some time to shoot a few bunnies for food, also mentioned I like whistling foxes etc, he said not a problem, so I gave him my details, I got his and I said I'll give you a call when I'm ready to come out and we can go from there, been shooting on it ever since, the bunnies have all but disappeared now (myxo etc) but I've been rolling a few foxes on it from time to time so all good.

I honestly don't care if I do or don't shoot anything, I just love being in the bush just sitting and taking in all the sounds and smells etc, a great way to spend a day, shooting something is just a bonus to me.

Thanks mate, I'm the same - just great to go bush with no-one else around for miles.
Anybody else have a property contact on the NSW South Coast area??
as1soldier
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by Bourt » 09 Apr 2015, 3:14 pm

Face to face or at least voice is the only way to do it.

I don't doubt anything you've said or that your your a legit guy or anything like that but I don't reckon any property owners are going to be going out of their way to invite 'some guy on the internet' after one message to shoot on their property.

Know what I mean.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey