Harvesting roos

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Harvesting roos

Post by Vl-nitron » 10 Jun 2014, 8:21 pm

Hi everyone I am interested in getting accredited to harvest kangaroos in nsw but I don't have a ute to setup to hang the kangaroos has anyone used a trailer setup to tow when harvesting them instead of a ute?
Vl-nitron
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Harvesting roos

Post by Apollo » 11 Jun 2014, 12:22 am

I would suggest you ask the authorities you are going to seek your accreditation and permits from. They are the ones that will shut you down if you do not comply with the regulations.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 11 Jun 2014, 1:25 am

Department of land management would be a good start mate :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 11 Jun 2014, 12:15 pm

Just a question, how are you going to tow a trailer around a property? I assume that you gave some kind of 4wd?

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Vl-nitron » 12 Jun 2014, 6:19 am

Yeah got a patrol wagon
Vl-nitron
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Davies » 20 Jun 2014, 6:37 pm

I can't speak about the Roo accreditation by about the trailer. Once piece of advice I'll give is scout the area you'll be driving and be sure you get the trailer around without trouble.

I know a few guys who too tough terrain and twisted the trailer off the towball.

Wrecked tow-balls and a nightmare of a time getting the trailers home after that.
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Fozzy » 20 Jun 2014, 7:00 pm

Plenty of offroad hitches to solve that problem

The OZHitch is the one I use.
Fozzy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Warrigul » 20 Jun 2014, 7:58 pm

Before I got the flat tray I had a trailer, honestly if you are driving country so rough that a standard ball lacks flexion then I would hazard a guess that you aren't getting much productive shooting done. The biggest expense I have found is tyres and of a night rough stuff is best avoided if possible.

Down here the trailer has to be curtained(can't say for certain about NSW but most of the course is ripped off them so check it out properly but I would reckon the standards would be similar).

When I got the flat tray my racks went from the trailer to the flat tray and the camping gear went from the back of the wagon to the trailer so it all worked out well, no money in it at the moment so I don't bother, our roo are more like your wallaby and you need quite a few each night to even break even.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Jun 2014, 9:10 pm

Have you seen what they are paying for roos per KG? I spoke to a fella who shoots em part time and I think he was getting 90c a KG (don't quote me on it) so I wouldn't be rushing out and spending heaps until you've done the maths on the worst case scenario ie lowest price they would pay then see if its really worth all the hassle.

I know they were paying around 75c a KG a while back which was just break even for him from memory so he didn't bother shooting any at that price as it wasn't worth his while apparently.

Anyway good luck with it all.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Davies » 20 Jun 2014, 9:25 pm

Fozzy wrote:Plenty of offroad hitches to solve that problem

The OZHitch is the one I use.

The trick is getting one before you head out.

They managed to get the order wrong...
Davies
Private
Private

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey