Hunters Log, our Environmental contribution

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunters Log, our Environmental contribution

Post by on_one_wheel » 20 Jun 2014, 2:04 pm

With regards to topics like this viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2023 Environmental contribution of recreational hunting, I think it would be great to run a thread for recreational hunters to log their contributions.

It will be interesting to see just how we are traveling as a group. What's even better is that I believe this forum has a perfect spread of shooters from non hunting sporting shooters, to hunting only shooters and everything in between, therefore our result would probably reflect well on what's happening in the broader shooting community.

Just remember that you are leaving a record on the internet about taking game / pests, and could be challenged on where they were taken, so make sure its all above board.

I have seen forums that run votes or surveys that count numbers when people check a box, is that possible here ? Say a survey for each common feral pest species.

Should we have photos for confirmation ?
Should we be logging gps coordinates, regions, areas, or just states ?
Any suggestions people ?

Happy hunting.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Re: Hunters Log, our Environmental contribution

Post by MeccaOz » 20 Jun 2014, 5:34 pm

Great Idea mate :) I would think say by shire and state, so as not to get to close to people and properties with respect to their privacy. Hmmm best I find a .22 and get my 308 license through :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Jun 2014, 7:55 am

6 rabbits, Adelaide hills

on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 21 Jun 2014, 8:01 am

MeccaOz wrote:Great Idea mate :) I would think say by shire and state, so as not to get to close to people and properties with respect to their privacy. Hmmm best I find a .22 and get my 308 license through :D

Glad you think its a good idea, I think more people are interested in what colours are displayed at the top of the page :lol:
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by WesleySnipes » 21 Jun 2014, 11:03 am

on_one_wheel wrote:
MeccaOz wrote:Great Idea mate :) I would think say by shire and state, so as not to get to close to people and properties with respect to their privacy. Hmmm best I find a .22 and get my 308 license through :D

Glad you think its a good idea, I think more people are interested in what colours are displayed at the top of the page :lol:

It sure seems that way. Seeing as there is no real statistic to measure how effective we, are it's kind of stupid the greens and their companions say how ineffective volunteer hunting is. There should be a mandatory log to keep track of our impacts to show that we don't just all go to a forest and sit down with our thumbs up our asses for several hours.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 21 Jun 2014, 9:38 pm

WesleySnipes wrote:It sure seems that way. Seeing as there is no real statistic to measure how effective we, are it's kind of stupid the greens and their companions say how ineffective volunteer hunting is. There should be a mandatory log to keep track of our impacts to show that we don't just all go to a forest and sit down with our thumbs up our asses for several hours.

Were you watching me from a tree stand :?: :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Aster » 22 Jun 2014, 4:07 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:I have seen forums that run votes or surveys that count numbers when people check a box, is that possible here ? Say a survey for each common feral pest species.

You can do polls here.

Has to be the first topic though, not replies (you could edit yours or start a new one).

When looking at the editor there is a tab at the bottom 'poll creation' which will let you add it.

See how you go with that.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Vati » 22 Jun 2014, 4:12 pm

WesleySnipes wrote:There should be a mandatory log to keep track of our impacts to show that we don't just all go to a forest and sit down with our thumbs up our asses for several hours.

I'd be seriously against that.

What happens if you're not getting anything? What if you're not getting enough? The Gov lets us have our shooters if we have a 'genuine reason', if you're not filling your log books does that mean you don't need your firearm? License lost then?

Sounds more like a tool to disarm hunters than bolster us.

We have enough mandatory nonsense without adding log books.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by VICHunter » 22 Jun 2014, 4:14 pm

Rabbits, foxes and deer in the state forests around Mansfield, Victoria.

Private property in Yea nearby.

Pictures somewhere.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by WesleySnipes » 22 Jun 2014, 7:46 pm

Vati wrote:
WesleySnipes wrote:There should be a mandatory log to keep track of our impacts to show that we don't just all go to a forest and sit down with our thumbs up our asses for several hours.

I'd be seriously against that.

What happens if you're not getting anything? What if you're not getting enough? The Gov lets us have our shooters if we have a 'genuine reason', if you're not filling your log books does that mean you don't need your firearm? License lost then?

Sounds more like a tool to disarm hunters than bolster us.

We have enough mandatory nonsense without adding log books.

I did not mention any government entity in regards to these logs? rather hunting clubs gaining useful information to aid them in trying to prove themselves as an effective method of pest control, which can't really be done without taking down tallies and a collective effort from the members etc. Doesn't need to be mandatory at all either, as I would assume most members of hunting clubs etc would be interested in making a case for themselves, I'm sure many would like to help. I know I would like to know how effective we are collectively at helping the country overcome its feral epidemic, especially when bombarded in the media constantly and the greens trying to prove otherwise . This is also relevant in the interest of knowing just how many feral animals there are running around to help control them.

I think it's also important to note that despite what the greentards and nay sayers think, we hunt recreationally in the most humane way possible, with our own money and expect nothing in return other than not being vilified. Who could deny effective volunteer help?

And I should of worded it better, I believe the less the government infringe on us, the better, and a federal log of our impacts would probably end in disaster looking at the way the country is running today. This kind of thing should only ever be carried out from the grassroots level by hunting clubs and shooting organisations etc.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 25 Jun 2014, 8:36 pm

Right well we're flip-flopping now.

You started off saying "There should be a mandatory log"... In that case who would be enforcing the mandatory nature of it if not the government. The only time it can be truly mandatory is if their are ramifications for failing to comply and that will mean the government is running it, and that'll end in tears I'm sure.

Other side of the coin now...

Having a reputable organisation in the eyes of the government like the SSAA collect the information to benefit us. Definitely on board with that.

You just lost me at "mandatory".
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jun 2014, 9:26 pm

"Having a reputable organisation in the eyes of the government like the SSAA collect the information to benefit us. Definitely on board with that."

I feel this is the way to go, all the data could be consolidated then, or perhaps it could be a gov department web site (DPI perhaps) where you log on and add the data, perhaps by "region" or "shire". ( deceased ferrals )
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by WesleySnipes » 25 Jun 2014, 10:00 pm

Vati wrote:
Having a reputable organisation in the eyes of the government like the SSAA collect the information to benefit us. Definitely on board with that.

That's kind of what I was getting at mate. And I'm not quite sure how they would collect the information accurately if it was optional? Incentive perhaps by the SSAA in whatever form might work.

Something being mandated has nothing to do with the federal government.

If you pay a membership fee and all the legal mumbo jumbo to go hunting in a state forest I'm sure most people wouldn't mind voluntarily filling out a log anyway, for the SSAA or whatever recreational shooting organisation runs it.
WesleySnipes
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 25 Jun 2014, 10:18 pm

spot on Wesleysnipes
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jun 2014, 1:12 pm

Was just having a look at SSAA farmer Assist program. They include just what we are talking about. Data collection of vermin taken.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by whert » 27 Jun 2014, 12:05 pm

That's only in QLD though at the moment right?

Not here in VIC?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey