Caring for your rifle in fog and mist

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Caring for your rifle in fog and mist

Post by scrolllock » 23 Jun 2014, 11:22 am

Hi guys,

It's been pretty s**ty weather here in VIC the last few weekends when I've gone out including a lot of fog and mist.

What are your guys thoughts on taking care of your rifle in fog and mist or any really moist air?

During the day on my last camp I had the rifle sitting on the mat next to me. It didn't occur to me till late that night well after the fog had some in that the rifle had basically been sitting in a cloud of water for hours.

Do you think doing this regularly will cause corrososion? Or is it not enough?

Would you guys bag up your rifles in that weather straight away?
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Caring for your rifle in fog and mist

Post by tom604 » 23 Jun 2014, 12:52 pm

should be fine as long as you have wiped it down with an oily rag before going out and drying it and oiling it when you get back. put a bit of tape over the end of the barrel before you go out,it stops water,twigs and stuff falling down the barrel. some of the best shooting is in winter 8-)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by 1290 » 23 Jun 2014, 4:19 pm

Dont bag it moist, dry it and as tom604 said, an oily rag, to be sure though I'd consider a spray and wipe with metho or IPA to fully remove the water before oily business - else you may create an emulsion of oily dirty water over the surface.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Jun 2014, 5:18 pm

If it was mine I would dry it off first, then wipe down with something like Inox/Lanox or any of your favourite lotions and potions and then put away (probably put a patch through the bore to with Inox or similar on it) then just put away.

Just don't put a wet rifle in a rifle bag - unless your happy with a lovely Orange hue to your rifle (its been known to happen and quickly too). Even if its a SS version give it the same respect, many people make the mistake of thinking because its SS it doesn't need the same respect (and in some ways I guess you can be a little more neglectful) but they aren't rustless as many have found out!

She ain't Marine Grade Stainless so look after them and you won't have any issues ever.

Me I carry a Oil soaked rag in a zip lock bag to wipe em over with, use a bit of paper towel or rag to dry em with then just wipe em with the oil soaked rag, put the rag back in the zip lock bag and your good to go when its needed again.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Lorgar » 25 Jun 2014, 9:26 pm

s**ty weather indeed.

I was in Wombat State Forest here the other week scrolllock and couldn't seem 20 metres away for the fog. Anyway...

I've never been worried about avoiding fog or relentlessly wiping my rifles down in it. I've always just left mine out to air for the duration.

A good clean and dry when I'm home though without exception.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 25 Jun 2014, 9:27 pm

Agree there is no point fussing over it on the day.

Wipe it down and you've straight back into the fog so forget it.

Like the guys, I just keep a dry towel in the bag to wipe it down before storing for the night. Other than that I carry as usual.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 25 Jun 2014, 9:29 pm

I might be guilty of putting a rifle away damp now and then but haven't had a problem so far.

I'll avoid that in future.

Cheers.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey