Getting a 'bang flop' shot

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Getting a 'bang flop' shot

Post by scrolllock » 05 Jul 2014, 6:46 pm

Hi guys,

Relatively new hunter here in Victoria looking for some advice from the experienced guys.

What do you find contributes most to getting a 'bang flop' shot on the larger game here in Vic?

I've just been watching a tonne of hunting vids and it seems for just about the same two shots one does and one doesn't.

Any 'tricks' that consistently work or is it pot luck?
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Getting a 'bang flop' shot

Post by on_one_wheel » 05 Jul 2014, 7:44 pm

By "bang flop" do you mean the animal just drops dead instantly ?

If so then avoiding gut shots helps.
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 05 Jul 2014, 10:41 pm

scrolllock wrote:Hi guys,

Relatively new hunter here in Victoria looking for some advice from the experienced guys.

What do you find contributes most to getting a 'bang flop' shot on the larger game here in Vic?

I've just been watching a tonne of hunting vids and it seems for just about the same two shots one does and one doesn't.

Any 'tricks' that consistently work or is it pot luck?

Ive found, as long as the animal isnt spooked at all, has no adrenaline running and the bullet hits the "Off Switch" in the back of the lower cranium. The chance of a bang flop are greatly raised, you might get some nervous twitches but it is well and truly dead. Getting that perfect shot can be harder than it sounds though.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mausermate » 06 Jul 2014, 3:55 pm

Spot on Mecca!

I add the following:
The scientific evidence will tell you that whatever "cause" creates an "effect" of instantaneous death will provide your so called "bang flop" ie. destruction of the Heart, severing of the spinal cord within 1, 2 or 3 of the base of the scull, severe damage to the central brain.

Clinical observation tells us something different. My observations from an agricultural background, working with animals and hunting for 40+ years and supported by abattoirs, animal control organizations and the like are that damage to the central brain is the only means by which an animal will go straight to the ground every time and be dead. ie. instantaneous evidence of death.

Put a bullet in it's head mate!

BTW, that does not mean it is the correct shot to take when hunting in Victoria....or anywhere else for that matter.
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Jul 2014, 5:04 pm

Neck shots on deer generally work well.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Warrigul » 06 Jul 2014, 7:29 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Neck shots on deer generally work well.

Yep, pretty much anywhere in the spine from the point just above the boiler room and upwards and they have no choice but to flop. In fact that is my aiming point, if you are closer than 150 you wreck the spine and if it ends up being further away the drop will put it in the boiler room.

Instant nervous shock.

Only spoken from a fallow point of view, I have yet to see a Sambar fall straight on the spot.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by scrolllock » 07 Jul 2014, 10:54 am

on_one_wheel wrote:By "bang flop" do you mean the animal just drops dead instantly ?

If so then avoiding gut shots helps.

I do, yes.

Even with "boiler room" shots though it seems pretty hit and miss.

Some go out like a light, others kick for a bit. Maybe it's just nerves still firing or whatever after?
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 07 Jul 2014, 10:55 am

I've read there is some argument on that whether it actually kills them instantly or just disables them (severed spinal cord).

Thoughts?
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 07 Jul 2014, 10:56 am

mausermate wrote:Put a bullet in it's head mate!

Working on the skills to do so.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Jul 2014, 11:22 am

scrolllock wrote:

I've read there is some argument on that whether it actually kills them instantly or just disables them (severed spinal cord).

Thoughts?

I think you'll find any shot can be hit and miss when it comes to an instant death, I like neck shots as the animals generally just drop on the spot so no need to go looking for them and the potential for a lost animal.

When you really want something dead there and then head shots are probably the most reliable (just depends if your good enough a shot to achieve it successfully).
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusC » 07 Jul 2014, 3:35 pm

Short of one through the brain I'd say there are no guarantees. And no one can do a perfect head-shot every time (regardless of what they boast on forums).

You've just got to stack the odds in your favour.

Use a suitable calibre.
Do your best with correct shot placement.
Shoot at ranges you're capable of.
and so on.

Something as simple as taking 1/2 a second longer aiming to steady yourself could be the difference between 1 through the heart and 1 through a non-vital area.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 07 Jul 2014, 4:23 pm

AusC wrote:Short of one through the brain I'd say there are no guarantees. And no one can do a perfect head-shot every time (regardless of what they boast on forums).

You've just got to stack the odds in your favour.

Use a suitable calibre.
Do your best with correct shot placement.
Shoot at ranges you're capable of.
and so on.

Something as simple as taking 1/2 a second longer aiming to steady yourself could be the difference between 1 through the heart and 1 through a non-vital area.

+ 1 ... What He said :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Westy » 07 Jul 2014, 11:57 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I think you'll find any shot can be hit and miss when it comes to an instant death, I like neck shots as the animals generally just drop on the spot so no need to go looking for them and the potential for a lost animal.

When you really want something dead there and then head shots are probably the most reliable (just depends if your good enough a shot to achieve it successfully).

And a little bit of luck goes a hell of a long way! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 09 Jul 2014, 12:00 pm

AusC wrote:Something as simple as taking 1/2 a second longer aiming to steady yourself could be the difference between 1 through the heart and 1 through a non-vital area.

If it's a longer shot and the game's not onto me yet, I'll flip the bipod down and drop for a prone shot if there is room.

Failing that take a few steps to brace against a tree etc.

2-3 seconds swapped for a much steadier shot.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey