Shooting Companion/Property Wanted - NSW/Sth Qld

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Shooting Companion/Property Wanted - NSW/Sth Qld

Post by Richard » 07 Jul 2014, 8:51 am

Hi. I own a 150 acre property near Port Macquarie on the Mid North Coast of NSW. I moved here from Victoria a few years ago (where I had a 350 acre property with Sambar deer). I don't have any game on my property other than the odd Wild Dog.

In Victoria I did a lot of Sambar hunting and also used to do a lot of Pig Hunting many years ago. Unfortunately these days my mates are all married with children and don't have the time to get away. I would like to do some Pig hunting in Northern NSW or Southern Queensland.

I'm happy to go to a property that charges a daily fee i.e. through Western Hunting but most companies have a $350 minimum. This means I need to go on my own for 5-6 days.

I'd like to find some responsible people to go hunting with that may be in the same predicament i.e. their hunting mates are all too busy with work/kids to go hunting. This could be either on properties they have permission to shoot on or just on a property booked through a hunting provider.

I have been licensed for 24 years and are a member of the SSAA. I would prefer to hunt without dogs either stalking or by Quad/4WD. I have a 4WD Ute and a 4WD Quad bike and enough camping and outdoor gear to kit out a Camping store. I also hunt with my Jack Russell Terrier.

I would be keen to hear from anyone who can help out.

Thanks,

Richard.
Richard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Re: Shooting Companion/Property Wanted - NSW/Sth Qld

Post by macnet1 » 07 Jul 2014, 12:31 pm

Hi Richard,

Mate, Im in the process of awaiting approval for my AB licence, which I think will take a few months after which Im ready and willling, Ive also joined the SSAA last week. Im based in Upper Coomera Gold Coast area which is a fair way from your spot, but if your still looking when I get my card through Im happy to go hunting. Ive a fully kitted out 4x4.

Cheers
Mark
macnet1
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by whert » 09 Jul 2014, 10:50 am

What do mods think of a 'find a hunting buddy' types section for the forum?

Could be good?
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by 5Tom » 09 Jul 2014, 4:21 pm

I think it's a good idea, although there has only been the odd few requests around that I've noticed on the forums (I gained 2 hunting buddies via this method).

Do you have the NSW R game licence? A lot of the NSW forests have been re-opened now for hunting.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Richard » 09 Jul 2014, 7:25 pm

5Tom wrote:I think it's a good idea, although there has only been the odd few requests around that I've noticed on the forums (I gained 2 hunting buddies via this method).

Do you have the NSW R game licence? A lot of the NSW forests have been re-opened now for hunting.

Hi Tom.

The whole NSW R Licence and the restrictions around where/when you can hunt just seems like too much red tape. I would prefer to just go to Victoria and hunt Sambar...much easier. I fail to see why they need to make it so complicated in NSW (or any other State). I don't see why they couldn't have a simple booking system to ensure only one party of Licensed Shooters is in an area of a forest/park on any given day. There are very few safety incidents in Victoria where most forests/parks (East of the Hume Fwy) are open to Deer Stalking.

Richard.
Richard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 10 Jul 2014, 12:39 am

With the new requirements in NSW for the R licence, you will need a GPS with the correct map loaded (available from the website apparently). Before the forests were closed down, I had my R licence and was very easy to book online and away you go. I've yet to renew my R licence, but I didn't see too much hassle of getting a trip sorted out.

I've never been hunting in Victoria so I can't compare what is required there. In QLD, there are no state forests that can be booked in (similar to NSW) to hunt, unless your part of an organisation which grants special permission by the local councils and police to hunt in specific areas unobtainable by local recreational hunters. We do have the Farmer Assist program, which according to the SSAA, has been very effective in helping the local and remote farmers in need of pest control. I believe the F.A program is trying to get setup around in other states too?
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Shotfox » 10 Jul 2014, 8:55 am

5Tom wrote:With the new requirements in NSW for the R licence, you will need a GPS with the correct map loaded (available from the website apparently). Before the forests were closed down, I had my R licence and was very easy to book online and away you go. I've yet to renew my R licence, but I didn't see too much hassle of getting a trip sorted out.

I've never been hunting in Victoria so I can't compare what is required there. In QLD, there are no state forests that can be booked in (similar to NSW) to hunt, unless your part of an organisation which grants special permission by the local councils and police to hunt in specific areas unobtainable by local recreational hunters. We do have the Farmer Assist program, which according to the SSAA, has been very effective in helping the local and remote farmers in need of pest control. I believe the F.A program is trying to get setup around in other states too?

You also now require to carry a CB radio tuned to channel 12 as to be aware of truck movements througout the forest as well as GPS for NSW R holders. This bulletin came out about a month or so ago.
5tom. - How is the Farmer Assist programe progressing in QLD ? I have watched this unfold from its inception and have been monitering its progress however it seems to be a very slow process. I do understand the legistics involved but the SSAA tells me NSW is still at least two years away ??. WA and Tas are accepting registrations now
Shotfox
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by nords » 11 Jul 2014, 3:00 pm

Is it just me or are your NSW guys laws slowing turning your into WA? :(
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by ebr love » 11 Jul 2014, 3:01 pm

nords wrote:slowing turning your into WA? :(

Say it aint so! :lol:
TIKKA T3 TAC .300 WIN MAG
HOW SPORTER 270 WIN
HOWA YOUTH .204 RUGER
MARLIN 1889 .38-40
ebr love
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by 5Tom » 14 Jul 2014, 9:36 am

Unfortunately I haven't been on a farmer assist exercise yet so I can't say too much. I have registered and seen a few jobs available but most jobs are too far away in northern QLD for a weekend hunt.

I just got back from a hunting trip in SW Queensland, organized by the Conservation Wildlife Management team. Had a blast, perhaps you can look into that? They run regular trips to different locations in qld.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by pajamatime » 14 Jul 2014, 11:10 am

a section for hunting buddies might encourage communication for such things...some people are or might be a bit reluctant to post about wanting a hunting buddy ? but if you can make it easier and encourage it I'm sure it will get some decent weight about it?
The Prudent see the evil and hide but the Naive keep going and are punished for it
pajamatime
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Sloth » 16 Jul 2014, 12:24 am

Hi only problem with hunting in Qld is he needs to apply for a visitors licence

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/w ... ngFaqs.htm

So good luck with it all

Should be one license nation wide not all the s**t we have to go through
Sloth
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Aster » 16 Jul 2014, 10:31 am

whert wrote:What do mods think of a 'find a hunting buddy' types section for the forum?

Could be good?

Could be good...

I'll give some thought to a dedicated section or perhaps a better way of doing it than a bunch of individual posts.

For now people are obviously welcome to post 'looking for hunting buddy in xyz' posts in the hunting section.

pajamatime wrote:a section for hunting buddies might encourage communication for such things...some people are or might be a bit reluctant to post about wanting a hunting buddy ? but if you can make it easier and encourage it I'm sure it will get some decent weight about it?

There would be no obligation to use the section of course, for anyone who's hesitant.

For anyone who's interested I'd just say exercise common sense as always... Don't give out any personally identifiable information over the net, agree to meet at the range first or go for a beer or something. etc. I'm sure everyone has common sense enough to sort it out if they're interested.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Lorgar » 16 Jul 2014, 10:33 am

5Tom wrote:I think it's a good idea, although there has only been the odd few requests around that I've noticed on the forums (I gained 2 hunting buddies via this method).

Yeah it can be good.

I've had a couple of arvo's at the range with Muddy from here.

And the Little River meet a while ago met up with half a dozen of the guys and got to try some new shooters.

All from here.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Richard » 17 Jul 2014, 3:01 pm

Sloth wrote:Hi only problem with hunting in Qld is he needs to apply for a visitors licence

http://www.police.qld.gov.au/programs/w ... ngFaqs.htm

So good luck with it all

Should be one license nation wide not all the s**t we have to go through

Hi Sloth.

I think you'll find (if you continue to read down the page on that link you provided) that interstate licences are recognised in Qld. In fact I believe that WA is the only state that doesn't automatically recognise interstate licences. The Visitor's Licence seems to be aimed at overseas visitors wanting to use firearms in Qld.

Consistency in licensng would be great across all states though.

Richard.
Richard
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by nords » 18 Jul 2014, 2:16 pm

Richard wrote:Consistency in licensng would be great across all states though.

Be careful what you wish for.

They could apply WA licensing to all states...
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey