Am I the only one who feels stupid doing this?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Am I the only one who feels stupid doing this?

Post by Wes » 23 Jul 2014, 10:27 pm

It's friggen cold here lately and I'm wearing gloves when I go out.

I hate shooting in gloves though so gave the trigger finger of the glove the chop.

Walking around with the 1 finger sticking out I've gotta admit I feel like a bit of a tosser :lol:

Like I'm trying to be a "sniper" like one of the tacticool kids.

Is it just me that feels this? :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Am I the only one who feels stupid doing this?

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Jul 2014, 1:04 am

I think so... Hee Hee, just kidding. :lol: :D

Seriously, I used to do the same with the trigger finger of the glove, until I got my latest pair.

These ones have all the fingers removed at the base, and have a full mitten that folds over to cover the fingers.

When not needed, it folds backwards over the back of the hand and out of the way.

There is a small patch of Velcro there that holds it back.

I love em 8-)
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Josh Smith » 24 Jul 2014, 1:43 am

Hello,

It regularly gets below freezing here in Indiana.

This past winter was the worst in recent memory. I was born right before the Blizzard of '78 as it's called here, and we lost power in the country home my parents rented. When the snows let up, the Amish came in a sleigh and got us until power was restored. Amish are great folks.

This past winter was worse than that. We had one blizzard, and one blizzard blew itself out into a severe winter storm before it hit us.

Temps likewise dropped lower than I have seen. The usual temperature was -20c to -30c . We're really not used to anything colder than about -17c for any length of time.

It was cold.

I found I had ignition problems with my rimfire after about -17c and I came to rely more on the Mosin. That thing was built for cold weather! My 1911 ran well, too. I was using magnum primers in both.

Wildlife was going hungry. Wild dog packs and even packs of coyotes became a concern.

Gloves were a must.

Still, I felt like an idiot with chopped gloves. The solution I came up with was to cut a slit at the bottom of my first knuckle on my trigger finger. This way, if I needed to feel the trigger better, I could simply slide the fingertip back.

This was not a new idea. They make gloves like this. I just couldn't find any locally, and so I had to make my own.

Skin-to-metal contact in those temperatures is really something you want to avoid at all costs. Had I been outside for any length of time and had to draw my pistol, chances are my skin would have instantly frozen to the metal grip. I was sticking with wooden-stocked rifles when possible for this reason.

Really cold weather is... interesting, I guess. It got old, though.

Regards,

Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by tom604 » 24 Jul 2014, 7:00 am

friggin heck thats cold!!! i was going to suggest the same thing, cut a slit in the glove so you can pop a finger out, i like the mitten idea as well
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Patrol66 » 24 Jul 2014, 8:18 am

If it works I don't care how I look. I recently bought pair of Ridgeline gloves that are similar to how Josh modified his gloves.
Quiet often when I'm out bush I look a bit ordinary, but who cares. Gotta stay warm and dry. The tossers are the ones sitting at home, hehe
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Jul 2014, 9:30 am

I just cut a slit in the trigger finger glove, around near the 2nd knuckle, then its just a matter of pulling the finger out of the glove, taking the shot, putting the finger back in, works real well and I don't have a cold finger like you do when you cut the finger completely out of the glove.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Noisydad » 24 Jul 2014, 9:46 am

Josh that sucks so bad! I thought working in minus 2 frosts for a morning here and there was bad enough - I got nuthin! I've been to the snow (in our so called "High country") 4 times and will never go again. You'd have to rub the flames in your fire place between your hands to get them to flicker again!
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by AusC » 24 Jul 2014, 1:41 pm

Who cares what you look like in the field.

Just take it off when you're back to down so you don't look like a tosser to your neighbours :P
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tiki » 26 Jul 2014, 5:37 pm

As long as you don't have one white rhinestone glove like Jacko I think you'll be right :lol:
CZ 452 .22 WMR
Savage Weather Warrior 16/116 FCSS .260 Rem
Winchester Model 1895 .30-40 Krag

Weaver K-Series 4x38
Zeiss Victory HT 2.5–10x50
tiki
Private
Private

Northern Territory

Post by shazz » 26 Jul 2014, 5:38 pm

Josh Smith wrote:The solution I came up with was to cut a slit at the bottom of my first knuckle on my trigger finger. This way, if I needed to feel the trigger better, I could simply slide the fingertip back.

Does it last? Seems like your tear the finger off anyway with the back and forth?
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Wes » 26 Jul 2014, 5:39 pm

tiki wrote:As long as you don't have one white rhinestone glove like Jacko I think you'll be right :lol:

Ha ha.

Nah, sticking with plain old brown :lol:
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Combat_Wombat » 26 Jul 2014, 8:09 pm

As long as your gloves don't come with a tactical helmet, chest rig and knee high boots you won't look too silly
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Wes » 30 Jul 2014, 9:18 am

I can still wear the pistol holster on the thigh though even though I don't have any pistols right?

That's not stupid?
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vati » 30 Jul 2014, 9:20 am

Remember the scene from Black Hawk Down with the guy taping his blood type to his boots in case he got shot?

I heard a pair talking at the range about hunting and one of them asked his mate about doing that :?

I challenge anyone to have a more stupid story than that by the tacticool crowd.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Warrigul » 30 Jul 2014, 9:44 am

Josh Smith wrote:Hello,

This past winter was the worst in recent memory. I was born right before the Blizzard of '78 as it's called here, and we lost power in the country home my parents rented. When the snows let up, the Amish came in a sleigh and got us until power was restored. Amish are great folks.

This past winter was worse than that. We had one blizzard, and one blizzard blew itself out into a severe winter storm before it hit us.

Temps likewise dropped lower than I have seen. The usual temperature was -20c to -30c . We're really not used to anything colder than about -17c for any length of time.

It was cold.

I found I had ignition problems with my rimfire after about -17c and I came to rely more on the Mosin. That thing was built for cold weather! My 1911 ran well, too. I was using magnum primers in both.

Wildlife was going hungry. Wild dog packs and even packs of coyotes became a concern.

Gloves were a must.

Still, I felt like an idiot with chopped gloves. The solution I came up with was to cut a slit at the bottom of my first knuckle on my trigger finger. This way, if I needed to feel the trigger better, I could simply slide the fingertip back.

This was not a new idea. They make gloves like this. I just couldn't find any locally, and so I had to make my own.

Skin-to-metal contact in those temperatures is really something you want to avoid at all costs. Had I been outside for any length of time and had to draw my pistol, chances are my skin would have instantly frozen to the metal grip. I was sticking with wooden-stocked rifles when possible for this reason.

Regards,

Josh

Ten days ago I was in the shack in our pitiful (in comparison to yours) Tasmanian highlands, it was cold to us but only got down to -7 degrees C, it is surprising how we moan down here at those (almost tropical in comparison to yours) temps. To get the missus out and down the mountain (Magna station wagon with chains on) I drove out in three feet of virgin snow in the 4 X 4 Hilux. We had no issues as we have a shack up there and regularly negotiate the snow and ice but once we got to the main highway(for what it is) had to rescue six cars full of people at the bottom of a hill who should have known better.

Helping out amongst all the 4 x 4s and stranded locals was an old Canadian tourist and his wife, after we had straightened every one out and towed people to the top of the hill (including a brand new 4 x 4 BT50 whose owner wouldn't let anyone else drive) the Canadian politely declined any help said this was normal for him six months of the year and drove his nissan Tiida rent a car straight to the top like there was no snow at all.

It was very impressive but I guess it is just what you are used to.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Josh Smith » 30 Jul 2014, 12:38 pm

Well, Sir, I'll tell ya'... I'm used to cold but this past winter was... different.

I joined these boards to sort of get away a bit from the US boards. I manufacture specialized gun stuff and it's nice not feeling I have to promote all the time.

I figure that though you've heard of me in Australia, I'm not as easily recognizable as on US boards. I'm still having to remember that you all have winter right now, while we're in the middle of summer, and to convert my Fahrenheit to Celsius. (This summer, however, is quite mild, perhaps to make up for the terrible winter. Last night it was down to about 49f/9c!)

I have come to the point of shaking my head when city folk criticize 4wd trucks "that nobody needs" and firearms. We lived out in the middle of noplace, and did end up having to evacuate to my parents' (who are also in the country, but closer to town) during the worst of it. When we did leave, there would have been no way to get a car through.

My wife was very pregnant at the time, and we needed to be closer to main roads. It was still very snowy when she did go into labor late January. That was an interesting drive from out house out in the middle of nowhere.

We were renting, trying to get my citified wife to like the country, and during that winter, the owners of the farm we were renting lost one horse, almost lost another, lost all their cats, all their chickens... it was bad.

I thought briefly of moving to Australia for part of the year, but gents, I apologize. I would not be able to have all that space with gun laws. I carry a 1911 .45acp and usually keep a rifle near. Your outback would be a dream to me, but I would want my fishing tackle and my guns. I'm not a fan of the US government, either, and there's an increasing distrust. Europe are not the only people who find what our representatives to in our names to be distasteful.

Ah, well, I digress.
I
Vati wrote:Remember the scene from Black Hawk Down with the guy taping his blood type to his boots in case he got shot?

I heard a pair talking at the range about hunting and one of them asked his mate about doing that :?

I challenge anyone to have a more stupid story than that by the tacticool crowd.

I was shopping today, grabbed some fishing line. Looking at the rod/reel combos, I noticed a Zebco 33 combo. It said it was a "Tactical Fishing Combo."

They are fish. I wonder what sort of new fishermen we have these days. I really love my old Abu Garcia 5000 and 5500 reels on MH rods, but when I saw the fact that this Zebco 33 was tactical, I almost sold them all and went back and bought it!

Argh. My head hurts.

Regards,

Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by MeccaOz » 30 Jul 2014, 10:11 pm

Josh Smith wrote:Hello,

It was cold.

Gloves were a must.

Regards,

Josh

That is an awesome idea ! Thanks Josh. This last year in summer we had a top of 46C and a low of -4C . In the middle of winter at night That is soooo gunna save my digits ! :D
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Josh Smith » 31 Jul 2014, 2:11 am

46c = 115f, looks like.

I'm not sure I envy you your summers. My kids are part American Indian and tan well, but I'm mostly of German, Welsh, and Scottish descent. I burn.

It's dry in Australia, though, isn't it? Except for the coast? That might be OK. It gets around 38c in the summer here, with near 100% humidity.

How do you all deal with that heat?

Regards,

Josh
Josh Smith
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by MeccaOz » 31 Jul 2014, 3:08 am

Josh Smith wrote:46c = 115f, looks like.

I'm not sure I envy you your summers. My kids are part American Indian and tan well, but I'm mostly of German, Welsh, and Scottish descent. I burn.

It's dry in Australia, though, isn't it? Except for the coast? That might be OK. It gets around 38c in the summer here, with near 100% humidity.

How do you all deal with that heat?

Regards,

Josh

lol im a redhead who burns when someone lights a match It's a dry heat yeah, but get me near humidity and im done for.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by tuffstuff » 31 Jul 2014, 2:25 pm

Josh Smith wrote:How do you all deal with that heat?

Beer.
.243 Remington 700™ BDL™
Bushnell Banner 6-24x40mm Mil Dot
tuffstuff
Recruit
Recruit

Northern Territory

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey