.308 not enough for Sambar? Taking the piss, right?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: .308 not enough for Sambar? Taking the piss right?

Post by marksman » 05 May 2020, 10:29 pm

hey snag that's a 460 weatherby mag in the middle, your still just playing mate :lol: :drinks:

it is cheating Grandad :thumbsup:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 06 May 2020, 5:21 am

Roflmao - ffs. No wonder lead poising is on the rise with all you bustards dumping Kg’s into pigeons.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Bourt » 06 May 2020, 2:20 pm

TassieTiger wrote:If I really have to explain it....? Geeez....

Humor lost in translation over text then? Got it.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 06 May 2020, 2:24 pm

snag wrote:Fair dinkum Archie - 450 NE is overkill for pigeons in anyone's books! I control mine with 250 grainers from my 338-06 A-Square no problem at all. Maybe you should work on your shot placement .... practice head shots maybe?

They're swift little suckers though. Shot placement with a slug of any variety is too hard.

So then you have a 12 gauge, but really that's not enough pellets to sufficiently cover a pigeons potential escape.

You really need a punt cartridge per bird to make sure it sticks, IMO.

punt-gun-cartridge.jpg
punt-gun-cartridge.jpg (14.87 KiB) Viewed 12919 times

:mrgreen:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 06 May 2020, 2:26 pm

Just found this which is kind of great :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTQQfKxkZpk
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by snag » 06 May 2020, 2:50 pm

Yes, yes, yes .........
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 06 May 2020, 4:12 pm

Get one of those on an A licence i recon. :roll:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 11 Oct 2020, 7:53 pm

My normal cartridge for Sambar is 30-06 with 220grain Woodleigh RNSP. But this year I've almost exclusively used a 308 and shot about 20. I'm using 42gr of 2206H and a 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip going about 2650fps. Personally I'm impressed as whilst a few have done a runner, I've been able to track the blood or running marks but the recovery rate is pretty good. I'm also surprised up to about 100m I'm getting the BT passing through on chest shots and making a mess of them.

Anyhoo, if you want to actually see more than a dozen sambar and a few fallow shot with a 308 Win with the above mentioned load here is the playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH51D3j ... S&index=16
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by animalpest » 11 Oct 2020, 9:29 pm

If you are moving 180gr bullets out of a .308 at over 3000fps, then you may be just as likely to be killed as the Sambar you are aiming at.
Professional shooter and trapper
Trainer and consultant
animalpest
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by mchughcb » 12 Oct 2020, 8:14 am

There is no advertising on my channel so how do I get paid for views? And then you accuse me of lying? You are a clown Albert.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2020, 10:20 am

eddievic wrote:
mchughcb wrote:My normal cartridge for Sambar is 30-06 with 220grain Woodleigh RNSP. But this year I've almost exclusively used a 308 and shot about 20. I'm using 42gr of 2206H and a 165gr Nosler Ballistic Tip going about 2650fps. Personally I'm impressed as whilst a few have done a runner, I've been able to track the blood or running marks but the recovery rate is pretty good. I'm also surprised up to about 100m I'm getting the BT passing through on chest shots and making a mess of them.

Anyhoo, if you want to actually see more than a dozen sambar and a few fallow shot with a 308 Win with the above mentioned load here is the playlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AH51D3j ... S&index=16

You get paid for every view don't you.... but i suppose its not much per view.

I do wonder you must have an awesome hunting spot cuz considering we been in lockdown for most of the year....in a couple of months of liberty you shoot 20 sambar :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Or someone been telling porkies :allegedly:

What are you on about?
Youtube videos do not pay anything unless you monetize your channel, which I think requires a very substantial number of subscribers to even qualify. No advertiser will pay even pennies for their ads to be placed on videos that don't get many thousands of views.

You do realise he is shooting with night vision equipment?

I don't know where you are but the lockdown has had little impact outside of Melbourne, we still go hunting. To accuse him of lying is well over the line. If you don't have anything of value to add to a conversation, don't try to ruin it.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by eddievic » 12 Oct 2020, 1:48 pm

Blade i think you are reading more into it. I be honest i thought youtube worked with number of view, a tiny amount but if you have enough views you get some money... basic capitalism. I thought the liberal use of icons would imply it was a tongue in cheek comment.

The other question is a more valid one. MCHUGH has said it many times that he is in Melbourne metro area which is in stage 4. Apart from January and early February we really have only a couple of weeks where people were allowed to go outside and hunt or shoot at someone's farm. Hence the question about shooting 20 sambar deer, maybe the number is stretched a bit.

But now that i think about it, the better question should have been has he actually been illegally going outside of stage 4 areas.... or just telling a bit of porky about being in Melbourne metro.

The old tell about people lying is when they reply back is to deflect with a question of their own.
117, 22lr, 223, 243, 264, 308, 338, 416, 20g 12g

Soo many, but not enough
eddievic
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 12 Oct 2020, 1:56 pm

I certainly could monetize my channel but I have chosen not too from day one. In the youtube ad apocalypse people that had hunting or rifle videos were demonetized and then de-platformed as they were flagged by advertisers as in-appropriate. With regards to shooting with night vision. You will see that I'm using a day night scope and if I can I will film with colour during the day. If it gets too dark I have to change to black/white to maintain the image and then eventually use IR.

Anyhow, here's another sambar down this year, plus a few fallow thrown in.

From day to evening to night. https://youtu.be/xzlzGn2pLLQ

https://youtu.be/qjGOn3vmsNc
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by bladeracer » 12 Oct 2020, 3:00 pm

eddievic wrote:Blade i think you are reading more into it. I be honest i thought youtube worked with number of view, a tiny amount but if you have enough views you get some money... basic capitalism. I thought the liberal use of icons would imply it was a tongue in cheek comment.

The other question is a more valid one. MCHUGH has said it many times that he is in Melbourne metro area which is in stage 4. Apart from January and early February we really have only a couple of weeks where people were allowed to go outside and hunt or shoot at someone's farm. Hence the question about shooting 20 sambar deer, maybe the number is stretched a bit.

But now that i think about it, the better question should have been has he actually been illegally going outside of stage 4 areas.... or just telling a bit of porky about being in Melbourne metro.

The old tell about people lying is when they reply back is to deflect with a question of their own.

Maybe I jumped too early then, if you have no malicious intent then I do apologise.

I haven't looked at monetising Youtube as I have no interest in it. I do know that it is something you actively have to request, it doesn't happen automatically. You can post something awesome that gets ten-thousand views every day, but if you don't want advertising in it you don't have to monetise it. InRangeTV is a great example - 366,000 subscribers, tens-of thousands of views per day, zero advertising. Supported _entirely_ by patreon supporters, zero commercial sponsors.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWbJPI6sNCU

If he is trapped in the Covid Cauldron them you may have a valid question, I'm not so I can't comment as I'm not really in touch with the regulations up there. Down here we wear a mask when we go into town, stand back from people, go about our business. I have been on the phone with two property owners here to get hunting permission. Both have been trapped in Melbourne for months. One guy planted a heap of seedlings the day before the lockdown and has no idea of their success, that's one thing I have to report back to him, hopefully the wallaby and deer haven't destroyed them already.
Practice Strict Gun Control - Precision Counts!
bladeracer
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 12 Oct 2020, 3:44 pm

eddievic wrote:Blade i think you are reading more into it. I be honest i thought youtube worked with number of view, a tiny amount but if you have enough views you get some money... basic capitalism. I thought the liberal use of icons would imply it was a tongue in cheek comment.

Once again implying i am lying or acting illegally. As you too stupid to read the dates and cross reference that to the stage 4 and assume there are no sambar with the stage 4 area shows me you are truly the village idiot looking to derail every thread. Why do you bother to post. In this forum at all. How about you post one video of you actually hunting because god knows Albert we've been waiting years.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by marksman » 12 Oct 2020, 4:46 pm

good footage Chuck, l really enjoyed getting out there with you :thumbsup:
thanks for posting :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 12 Oct 2020, 5:05 pm

Cheers. MM. not scared to show my misses with the elephant gun either. https://youtu.be/gUAFog5xY64
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 12 Oct 2020, 5:43 pm

:lol: :lol: You didn't miss mchughcb, the deer just exploded mate :lol: :lol: bugga me what caliber was that ? :thumbsup: :lol: :drinks:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 12 Oct 2020, 5:51 pm

416 Rem Mag with 400gr Woodleigh RNSP @ 2225 fps. The gun only weights 3.6kg so she gives a bit of a boot alright. It may scare the deer but frightens the hell out of me :lol:
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Grandadbushy » 12 Oct 2020, 6:51 pm

:lol: :lol: Yeah mchughcb me to :wtf: :lol: i had me ear phones in and the sound was up , not good for the drums hey :thumbsup: :lol: :lol:
M ate at that weight i dare say it would kick, fekin hell :thumbsup:
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by Hugh » 14 Feb 2021, 1:18 pm

Mark wrote:I read a article a few years back in Sporting Shooter, where a guy managed to bounce a 150gr projectile off a big boars shoulder ! So in that case, not enough gun . I also know a young fella who shoots Red deer with his 17hmr for the dogs @ there place near Kilcoy ! There is also a video on youtube of some dudes wounding goats & chasing them for miles ! I wouldn't recommend a 308 to anyone, but thats me. I would say make sure your competent to shoot sambar with a 308. No cartridge is a guaranteed kill, to presume otherwise is a recipe for disaster.When i taught my 2 daughters to shoot, it was always for the head. No wounding only a miss .

I had two rounds out of my 444 marlin[240gn] do same on a mud covered boar.
Hugh
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by JohnV » 15 Feb 2021, 8:05 pm

Using a 180 grain bullet in 308 is not that great because you loose too much velocity and in the end a 150 grain even a 165 develops the same energy and penetration once the bullet goes down range a bit . Close range in thick scrub is the only place I would load a heavier bullet in 308 than a 144 grain . 180 works better in 30-06 or 300 WM .
JohnV
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by Hatchet Jack » 16 Feb 2021, 9:33 am

Within reason I've always considered the projectile more important than the calibre.
Hatchet Jack
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 16 Feb 2021, 10:27 am

I use 180gr in one 30-06. 130gr in the other 30-06. 180 is getting close to sensible limit. 200gr or larger would have a rainbow like trajectory. OK for in close but not as versatile.

I would say same for 308. 165gr is generally heavy enough, over that just very close range. I would use 150s
Errol Mason recommended cor-lokts or better. I load 180gr interlocks. (much the same) Very limited experience but they worked.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Hatchet Jack » 16 Feb 2021, 10:39 am

I've killed most of my sambar with a 270 and 130gr bonded bullets, broadside or quartering it has never been an issue. I'd take that over a 30 cal shooting 180gr CoreLOKT's anyday. These days my deer main rifle is a 7x57, shooting Norma Oryx 140gr bonded projectiles I've killed hoggies, fallow, reds and sambar. Only 1 animal has made it further than 25m after the shot.

I'm hunting buffalo later this year and have either 250gr mono or 300gr bonded bullets for my 9.3 I offered one of the guys going to use. He declined, he normally uses 150gr bonded bullets for deer but wanted more power for buff so bought 180gr coreLOKT for his 300WM. Doesn't use 180 normally because they drop too much, tried explaining a) if using coreLOKT you may as well just load up Barnes varmint grenades and b) drop isn't an issue when you never shoot over 200 m (which he doesn't) and at any rate compensating for drop at moderate ranges whether dialling or using hold over is as easy as point blank but he knew better. Can't fix stupid.
Hatchet Jack
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 16 Feb 2021, 3:53 pm

Hatchet Jack wrote:I've killed most of my sambar with a 270 and 130gr bonded bullets, broadside or quartering it has never been an issue. I'd take that over a 30 cal shooting 180gr CoreLOKT's anyday. These days my deer main rifle is a 7x57, shooting Norma Oryx 140gr bonded projectiles I've killed hoggies, fallow, reds and sambar. Only 1 animal has made it further than 25m after the shot.

I'm hunting buffalo later this year and have either 250gr mono or 300gr bonded bullets for my 9.3 I offered one of the guys going to use. He declined, he normally uses 150gr bonded bullets for deer but wanted more power for buff so bought 180gr coreLOKT for his 300WM. Doesn't use 180 normally because they drop too much, tried explaining a) if using coreLOKT you may as well just load up Barnes varmint grenades and b) drop isn't an issue when you never shoot over 200 m (which he doesn't) and at any rate compensating for drop at moderate ranges whether dialling or using hold over is as easy as point blank but he knew better. Can't fix stupid.

7x57 is a great round :thumbsup:

i'm thinking about a 9.3 buildup at the moment too....... ;)
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by Hatchet Jack » 16 Feb 2021, 4:59 pm

bigrich wrote:

If i could only own one gun it would be my 275 Rigby, kill anything from foxes to elephants and mild enough a kid can shoot it comfortably.

The 9.3 in any variation is a great round, it realistically is one of the best all rounders in existence I believe for performance and shootability.
Hatchet Jack
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 27 Feb 2021, 9:37 pm

Hatchet Jack wrote:
bigrich wrote:

If i could only own one gun it would be my 275 Rigby, kill anything from foxes to elephants and mild enough a kid can shoot it comfortably.

The 9.3 in any variation is a great round, it realistically is one of the best all rounders in existence I believe for performance and shootability.

First sambar I shot was with a 7x57R using 175gr interlocks. Dropped it stone dead with an offhand neck shot at 80m. Its a great calibre that doesn't boot. I've used the 175gr for years but I"ve just bought a box of 140gr Nosler Ballistic Tips and I'll see how they go with the faster velocity.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Blr243 » 27 Feb 2021, 10:06 pm

This topic been going forever. Somebody please chase a sambar stag up my way so I can shoot it and see what all the fuss is about
Blr243
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by mchughcb » 27 Feb 2021, 10:29 pm

Blr243 wrote:This topic been going forever. Somebody please chase a sambar stag up my way so I can shoot it and see what all the fuss is about

:lol: Rusa have bigger antlers so I wouldn't worry.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey