.308 not enough for Sambar? Taking the piss, right?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: .308 not enough for Sambar? Taking the piss right?

Post by mchughcb » 06 Jun 2021, 8:09 pm

Here's an entry wound in the top of the chest cavity using a 165gr Ballistic Tip at 135m from a 308 Win and the bullet exited. Deer ran 15m dropped dead.
I'm finding the 165gr BT are creating huge wound cavities and if the deer don't drop straight away they are making huge blood trails.
Attachments
Entry_Wound.jpg
Entry_Wound.jpg (376.96 KiB) Viewed 2341 times
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: .308 not enough for Sambar? Taking the piss right?

Post by mchughcb » 18 Jun 2021, 10:26 pm

And here's the exit wound of my 9.3x74R using 286 grain interlocks. Not much difference if you ask me on a small running sambar at 135m but it killed it.

https://youtu.be/76SMWvsqJrA
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Re: .308 not enough for Sambar? Taking the piss, right?

Post by AussieMadman » 12 Mar 2023, 9:16 pm

.308 will take sambar any day of the year with the right shot placement. if you hit it in the arse you'll need a tank shell to kill it. you could kill a deer with a pointy stick if it'd let you get close enough. shot placement is everything (also what bullets you're using, match is no good for hunting)
AussieMadman
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Re: .308 not enough for Sambar? Taking the piss, right?

Post by mickb » 12 Jul 2023, 12:00 am

Sambar are a grand animal but keeping it in perspective blokes from other states are mopping up horses and camels, up to twice the weight of sambar with 308's all day. Lets not even get into scrub bulls...
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey