.308 not enough for Sambar? Taking the piss, right?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: .308 not enough for Sambar? Taking the piss right?

Post by marksman » 26 Jul 2019, 12:10 pm

Mark wrote:Your a picky bunch. I was giving examples what can happen while hunting with any cartridge . Guess i'll be real careful next time i say something.

Fark no Mark, freedom of speech mate just say it :thumbsup: you have as much right to your views as anyone :drinks:
difference is though you dont give a fark if they dont head shoot, if the non head shooters dont want to do it that's fine
I teach my kids to head shoot as well, aim small shoot small :drinks:
they are taught ethical shooting IMHO so as to get a bang flop
and this is why

we eat the whole animal, not much waste and no hole's in skins :thumbsup:
if you cannot shoot a golf ball out to 250 from a solid rest you are not up to it :unknown:
there are a lot of different scenarios where a head shot would not work but that's where you make a decision
do l feel lucky, well do you punk :lol: :lol: :lol: love dirty harry :lol:
each to there own :drinks:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Jul 2019, 2:04 pm

How did I miss this thread. Key me come to the defense of the rem pump action guy.. and explain

It's a Remington they luhnow how to build guns...say over tikka or ruger brigade... I find the Remington name gives 50fps over any other name.

The pump action is tacticool... tacticool gives 50fps.. and the unique action of the pumping gives another 100fps. Remember newton he said for every action there is an opposite reaction. So pumping will help the bullet fly faster in the opposite direction.

So that explains how you can get 200fps increase on a 2500fps 180gr bullet in a ruger. To get the rest...

Wearing tacticool gear helps a lot, jacket is 20, trousers are 20, boots are 20... if the boots are clean and have no mud then that's extra 50fps. Lastly half fiber gloves esp in camo is 50fps. (+160fps)

Internet forums automatically add another 20% to the speeds.. this is a known fact. No one can deny

:sarcasm:
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 26 Jul 2019, 2:13 pm

What will a GT stripe do? Another 100fps?
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 26 Jul 2019, 4:56 pm

On the gun... your car or your undies... it's different

Hahaha
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 26 Jul 2019, 8:53 pm

flutch wrote:
tom604 wrote:yes rubbish, a 308 will take everything in Australia,,but everyone wants more gun

my experience only if you get a headshot, not EVERYTHING will drop from a 308 in australia...

ha ha, a thread from the past :thumbsup: a 308 will kill everything and i mean everything,,that walks, crawls, hops, skips, swims or climbs in Australia, didn't say drop on the spot just said ,take, (nicer way of saying kill :lol: ) and i have heard of people killing just about everything with a 22 headshot (not sure how true the stories are :unknown: ) with that said, everyone has differing opinions on caliber/projectile size/powder/shot placement ect ect.

didn't know that tacticool gear gave such an increase in speed,may have to get some,,only have a camo shirt so a measly 15fps at best :wtf: :thumbsup:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by mickb » 04 Aug 2019, 1:36 am

marksman wrote:
Mark wrote:Your a picky bunch. I was giving examples what can happen while hunting with any cartridge . Guess i'll be real careful next time i say something.

Fark no Mark, freedom of speech mate just say it :thumbsup: you have as much right to your views as anyone :drinks:
difference is though you dont give a fark if they dont head shoot, if the non head shooters dont want to do it that's fine
I teach my kids to head shoot as well, aim small shoot small :drinks:
they are taught ethical shooting IMHO so as to get a bang flop
and this is why

we eat the whole animal, not much waste and no hole's in skins :thumbsup:
if you cannot shoot a golf ball out to 250 from a solid rest you are not up to it :unknown:
there are a lot of different scenarios where a head shot would not work but that's where you make a decision
do l feel lucky, well do you punk :lol: :lol: :lol: love dirty harry :lol:
each to there own :drinks:

I often head shoot too mate. Its a funny world when humane meatgetting gets bad press alongside "bodyshot blasting for sport" isn't it . I feel its the fault of the american hunting magazines we all grow up reading. Their culture is based more around trophies and protecting the mount , so its 10,000 articles on magnums to the breadbasket per 1 article for head and neck shooting.
Last edited by mickb on 04 Aug 2019, 2:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by mickb » 04 Aug 2019, 2:37 am

TassieTiger wrote:Yet head shooting accounts for a large portion of painful wounds that don’t kill immediately or at all...the skull, jaw, teeth, etc can and will deflect all manner of projectiles, a very shallow angle and a 308 at some distance = a potential ricochet.

Got any figures for that?

I think it would be small next to gutshots. Also the largest portion of wounding is probably shotguns and it would be impossible to measure. Until they find a way to individually direct pellets ;) they will have shot hit incidental targets, broken legs,also animals that run or fly off likely carry wounds you will never know about. Next probably archery just because its more difficult to aim and predict range.

% wise I'd also put injuries to pigs and dogs mutually in pig hunting. QLD has the worlds highest wild pig population, about 25 mil , outnumbering humans 5:1. Both animals get an absolute hammering up here. No one likes to admit it but an owners financial situation may sometimes not meet the level to pay for the patch up jobs, so the dog gets 'home surgery' , guts poked back in and stiches and eventually a bullet if they dont pull through.

Its not my sport but I don't have a problem with any of it- headshoot, knife, arrows, tweeds and a $10,000 shotgun, you are always going to make something miserable at some point. Have at it.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by sungazer » 04 Aug 2019, 9:51 am

It is possible to shoot 185grn bullets from a 308 however I would not recommended it in a factory rifle. In a target rifle action which are much more heavy duty and in a 30 inch barrel it is possible to even go a bit further at the expense of case life. About 2900-2950 is the normal speed of this weight projectile shot in competition.
sungazer
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Other

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Aug 2019, 10:59 am

sungazer wrote:It is possible to shoot 185grn bullets from a 308 however I would not recommended it in a factory rifle. In a target rifle action which are much more heavy duty and in a 30 inch barrel it is possible to even go a bit further at the expense of case life. About 2900-2950 is the normal speed of this weight projectile shot in competition.

Perhaps, but that is just a dream for a 22" sporter barrel.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Aug 2019, 11:01 am

Oldbloke wrote:"What loading is being used to get a 180gn 308 to over 3000 FPS?"

Mr ADI says Max fps

308. 180gr. 2661
308. 200gr. 2441

3006. 180gr. 2798
3006. 200gr. 2577

30-30. 170gr. 2181

SFA in it.

And ill bet they are out of a 26" barrel
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Aug 2019, 6:30 pm

mickb wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Yet head shooting accounts for a large portion of painful wounds that don’t kill immediately or at all...the skull, jaw, teeth, etc can and will deflect all manner of projectiles, a very shallow angle and a 308 at some distance = a potential ricochet.

Got any figures for that?

I think it would be small next to gutshots. Also the largest portion of wounding is probably shotguns and it would be impossible to measure. Until they find a way to individually direct pellets ;) they will have shot hit incidental targets, broken legs,also animals that run or fly off likely carry wounds you will never know about. Next probably archery just because its more difficult to aim and predict range.

% wise I'd also put injuries to pigs and dogs mutually in pig hunting. QLD has the worlds highest wild pig population, about 25 mil , outnumbering humans 5:1. Both animals get an absolute hammering up here. No one likes to admit it but an owners financial situation may sometimes not meet the level to pay for the patch up jobs, so the dog gets 'home surgery' , guts poked back in and stiches and eventually a bullet if they dont pull through.

Its not my sport but I don't have a problem with any of it- headshoot, knife, arrows, tweeds and a $10,000 shotgun, you are always going to make something miserable at some point. Have at it.

Got any figures got yours?
Are you asking for “factual”detail to a question and then answering it with “probables” and “maybes”? Lol.

But to answer yours, no I don’t -
From what I’ve read, spoken to better shooters than me, more experienced shooters than me, pro hunters - the science behind the head shot injury as I understand it, pertaining for large roo / deer at least, is the marginal potential for deflection from a hard surface they lies directly under the skin It was further explained to me rightly or wrongly that- bone density, as it’s pressured from impact, compresses such that with the unusually angled shapes of triangular skulls, a deflection is not uncommon. I’ve witnessed it a few times personally from lighter gauge centrefires, I’ve heard all manner of conversation about the harvested roo that had a broken jaw, ear, etc etc from a final chest shot.

I’d take a further punt that most gut shots don’t live on...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Steyr Pro Varmint .223 - VX 3
CZ455 .22 & Norinco .22 (vtex 4-12, bush 3-9)
ATA 686 U/O 12g & Baikal S/S 12g.
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Howa 300 win mag. SHV 5-20/56
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mickb » 04 Aug 2019, 7:42 pm

TassieTiger wrote:Got any figures got yours?
Are you asking for “factual”detail to a question and then answering it with “probables” and “maybes”? Lol.

I was asking for factual details yes, since you made the statement. And no I don't have any myself so we are both still in the dark :D

From what I’ve read, spoken to better shooters than me, more experienced shooters than me, pro hunters

I was a 'pro' hunter or volume culler at least, but I still stand in awe of guys who can swing a shotgun, hunt ultra-long range, fire an arrow, take great running shots. Head shooting I consider easier than all four, easier to teach, with less chance of wounding for the average guy. Thats probably my point , generally refuting what we read in gun rags every day, its not as hard as people make out.

- the science behind the head shot injury as I understand it, pertaining for large roo / deer at least, is the marginal potential for deflection from a hard surface they lies directly under the skin It was further explained to me rightly or wrongly that- bone density, as it’s pressured from impact, compresses such that with the unusually angled shapes of triangular skulls, a deflection is not uncommon. I’ve witnessed it a few times personally from lighter gauge centrefires, I’ve heard all manner of conversation about the harvested roo that had a broken jaw, ear, etc etc from a final chest shot.

Agree about shallow head angles, no doubt. But its just part of the game.
mickb
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Other

Post by TassieTiger » 04 Aug 2019, 7:53 pm

mickb wrote:
TassieTiger wrote:Got any figures got yours?

I was asking for factual details yes, since you made the statement. And no I don't have any myself so we are both still in the dark :D

From what I’ve read, spoken to better shooters than me, more experienced shooters than me, pro hunters

I was a 'pro' hunter or volume culler at least, but I still stand in awe of guys who can swing a shotgun, hunt ultra-long range, fire an arrow, take great running shots. Head shooting I consider easier than all four, easier to teach, with less chance of wounding for the average guy.

- the science behind the head shot injury as I understand it, pertaining for large roo / deer at least, is the marginal potential for deflection from a hard surface they lies directly under the skin It was further explained to me rightly or wrongly that- bone density, as it’s pressured from impact, compresses such that with the unusually angled shapes of triangular skulls, a deflection is not uncommon. I’ve witnessed it a few times personally from lighter gauge centrefires, I’ve heard all manner of conversation about the harvested roo that had a broken jaw, ear, etc etc from a final chest shot.

Agree about shallow head angles, no doubt. But its just part of the game.

Thing is - a shotty is doing nothing much beyond 50...a lot of occasional hunters whom do not pa rice a hell of a lot, ppl with a large centre fire that think they are better than they are (and especially under lights) where the target is a crisp set of eyes - a lethal chest shot is a bigger target than a lethal headshot and they scale climbs with distance, wind and unprofessionalism.

Give me some of the regulars on here - and id happily back them in a headshot any day of the week...give me the guy that reckons he’s shooting 3000fps with 180’s...I’m preferring him to take a chest shot...but - at the end of the day it should go without saying, it’s the trigger mans call, vs his responsibility vs his skill set vs his ethics. Huntings a messy game - I’d prefer to not be the one telling the storey of finding half a deers cheek but no carcass as a result of my poor decision - others would be quite content...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by mchughcb » 26 Dec 2019, 12:03 am

Old thread but i would like to be a small game animal sitting broadside at 50 to 70m when someone is using #3 36gr loads. I did some pattern tests on my full choke and dropping bunnies past 50m is no joke.

https://youtu.be/NqSMtu9GAAs
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by mchughcb » 26 Dec 2019, 12:12 am

Sambar are a tough animal. Ive shot them with a 7x57R and a 416 Rem plus everything between. Sometimes they go down generally they will do a runner.

Here is a running sambar hind shot with a 9.3x74R and twice with a 458 win mag. Eventually it stopped. Would have kept running with a 150gr corelokt from a 308? Probably. Every person i know who starts with a 308 upgrades the minute they lose a sambar.

My personal bush favorite is a 30-06 using 220gr woodleigh out to 200m.

https://youtu.be/76SMWvsqJrA
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by John » 07 Apr 2020, 8:26 am

hi all if 308 isn’t enough your doing it wrong no deer will run off with a .308 hole in its brain box.
And if your harvesting the animal that’s where your shot needs to be for a quick clean kill in my opinion and that’s not based on not having bigger guns I have a tikka .270 and a sako .300mag
My favs
.22lr Brno
.22 gamo cfx air rifle
.22 Brno K hornet
.303/22 sprinter
.243 tikka
6.6x55 Swede
.270 tikka
.300 win mag sako
12g beretta
John
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by brinny » 11 Apr 2020, 10:52 pm

Have heard all this rubbish about 308s not suitable for shooting sambar for years......
After hunting sambar with the hounds for a lot of years...during that time and even now, a LOT of blokes i knew were and still are using 308s (including me) and were belting them over as good as those using cannons.....
There are a lot of sambar heads on my wall as well as a lot of reds, not to mention the countless hinds that were all taken with the 308....
But if you are trying to knock them over at 1000+m with a 308 like some blokes do...then thats another story....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 12 Apr 2020, 9:20 am

brinny wrote:But if you are trying to knock them over at 1000+m with a .308 like some blokes do...then thats another story....

And that is, of course, not a shortcoming with the cartridge, but a misuse by the shooter.

Anything "performs poorly" if you're using it wrong, or outside it's intended purpose.

.308 has obviously been demonstrated to be a potentially accurate 1,000m cartridge for target shooting, but a deer isn't a piece of paper. You don't just need to hit it, you need to hit it with enough velocity to expand the projectile to do it's work and enough energy to humanely kill the animal.

At 1,000m .308 doesn't retain anywhere near enough velocity to expand a hunting bullet sufficiently, and has bugger all energy left.

When stalking deer at up to 200m or 300m, as is the reality of deer hunting, the .308 does well with a suitable projectile. But it is not an effective, humane long/extreme-range large-game cartridge.

And having said all that, lets be honest and admit that outside of complete blind luck, 99.9% of shooters and their hunting rigs couldn't hit a deer at 1000m on their best day.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 12 Apr 2020, 9:37 am

308 is clearly an an out of date target only round. I’d be cautious trying to humanely dispatch a rabbit inside 100mins - let alone a deer.
Proper hunting rounds like the 30-06 should be the “go to” for deer.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by brinny » 12 Apr 2020, 12:32 pm

And having said all that, lets be honest and admit that outside of complete blind luck, 99.9% of shooters and their hunting rigs couldn't hit a deer at 1000m on their best day.

Got to be honest...I wouldnt even try....
A day without a hunt, is a day lost.....
brinny
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bourt » 04 May 2020, 8:06 pm

TassieTiger wrote:308 is clearly an an out of date target only round. I’d be cautious trying to humanely dispatch a rabbit inside 100mins - let alone a deer.

Alright, mate. Calm down :lol:
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Bourt » 04 May 2020, 8:06 pm

brinny wrote:

Got to be honest...I wouldnt even try....

Ditto. I wouldn't try 500m to be honest. I might get a hit, but wouldn't have any confidence in it being a clean, ethical shot.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 May 2020, 2:41 pm

TassieTiger wrote:308 is clearly an an out of date target only round. I’d be cautious trying to humanely dispatch a rabbit inside 100mins - let alone a deer.
Proper hunting rounds like the 30-06 should be the “go to” for deer.

Is that meant to be a joke. Or a mental fart day. Someone had a bit of curry and it came out the wrong end
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 May 2020, 2:49 pm

If I really have to explain it....? Geeez....
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Archie » 05 May 2020, 6:15 pm

TassieTiger wrote:If I really have to explain it....? Geeez....

Mate, as I was thinking to myself the other day while working up a custom .450 nitro express load for getting rid of some pigeons that keep crapping on the shed, some people really don’t get it.
Archie
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Sergeant Hartman » 05 May 2020, 6:24 pm

Awww have i upset you that much over the last few months, that my pisstake on you taking the p1ss rubbed your vjay like someone filled your bikini with sand.

Sorry i suppose only you can joke.
Sergeant Hartman
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by TassieTiger » 05 May 2020, 6:34 pm

Asking if something is a joke doesn’t really translate to well...a joke now does it. Maybe time for yet another name change...
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

Post by Grandadbushy » 05 May 2020, 6:57 pm

The 308 is a quiet capable round put in the right hands as like any caliber , the 308 was used consistently in the territory for shooting buffalo and it worked well for those that used it . put any of the larger calibers in the wrong hands or unethical shooters and you have a situation for someone to say it is the wrong caliber for that job because shot placement is way off . The conversation that the 308 is probably not a good caliber for sambar even though it took 4 times larger animals for decades but on saying that everyone is entitled to their opinion but it strikes me as like a question of what is the best caliber for shooting wild dogs or fox, it all depends on who is using it and for what reason , how ethical they are with shooting distances, so you see every one could be right because it's their belief and opinion don't mean to say it is correct
Grandadbushy
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by snag » 05 May 2020, 7:02 pm

Fair dinkum Archie - 450 NE is overkill for pigeons in anyone's books! I control mine with 250 grainers from my 338-06 A-Square no problem at all. Maybe you should work on your shot placement .... practice head shots maybe?
The pen may be mightier than the sword, but personally I prefer the .30/30 Winchester.
snag
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by TassieTiger » 05 May 2020, 7:30 pm

Grandadbushy wrote:The 308 is a quiet capable round put in the right hands as like any caliber , the 308 was used consistently in the territory for shooting buffalo and it worked well for those that used it . put any of the larger calibers in the wrong hands or unethical shooters and you have a situation for someone to say it is the wrong caliber for that job because shot placement is way off . The conversation that the 308 is probably not a good caliber for sambar even though it took 4 times larger animals for decades but on saying that everyone is entitled to their opinion but it strikes me as like a question of what is the best caliber for shooting wild dogs or fox, it all depends on who is using it and for what reason , how ethical they are with shooting distances, so you see every one could be right because it's their belief and opinion don't mean to say it is correct

If you read the thread - not a single person believes a 308 is too small. Not one.
Tikka .260 (Z5 5x25/52)
Adler a110 reddot
Sauer 30-06 - VX 3
Marlin SBL 45/70
TassieTiger
Colonel
Colonel

Tasmania

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey