Hearing protection when hunting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hearing protection when hunting

Post by Patrol66 » 05 Aug 2014, 9:05 am

Depends what where shooting at the time. Rimfire - no ear protection in the field, at the range - yes.

Centre fire - ear plugs for the shooter and I plug my ears at the last moment before the shot.

If I'm holding a torch I will wear one ear plug and cover the other ear after the all clear to fire. I have only hunted with my son so far and that is generally what we do. Also helps if you can communicate with hand signals.

When I go solo I will prob try the last min approach or put them in when I close in on a likely looking spot.
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 06 Aug 2014, 10:15 am

Don't bother with my .22, usually use subs.
I bought some electronic earmuffs for .22 practice or hunting with louder stuff.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 06 Aug 2014, 3:59 pm

Never with the .22. I'm never shooting any high velocity stuff though which are significantly louder. If I was shooting stingers or something I would be wearing the earmuffs.

For the hunting rifle, if I'm stalking for deer by myself I don't wear the earmuffs because I'll either not fire a shot or fire 1-2 max. Not advising this as safe for your ears but it's the way it is for me. Would rather have the awareness and live with possibly absorbing one shot.

If moving with my regular mates, we make sure to keep a good distance between us so if someone takes a shot before the other realises there is a target no one is standing uncomfortably close to the muzzle.

(At the range always for anything)
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 06 Aug 2014, 4:50 pm

I don't wear any whilst hunting. Load testing etc where lots of shots are taken I wear electronic ones or foam push in jobs.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by tom604 » 06 Aug 2014, 8:18 pm

the ear plugs on the plastic strap when hunting ,easy to put in before shooting, pal electronic ear muffs at the range
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by mausermate » 06 Aug 2014, 9:24 pm

what?
Now that's been said, who's coming for a shot?
mausermate
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 06 Aug 2014, 10:00 pm

I SAID THAT,,,oh i see what you did there :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 07 Aug 2014, 3:09 pm

WHAT?? tom64 did you say, EH? LOL

Cheers,
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 07 Aug 2014, 8:56 pm

I bloody needed hearing protection today, I shot a bunny out of the passenger side window and didn't have the muzzle out the window and man did it hurt the ears! LOL all good now, but from now on I will make sure I have the muffs on when doing that sort of thing again.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 08 Aug 2014, 5:59 am

My son wears them when he is shooting or hunting, he is hearing impaired and has pain if he doesn't. Even with the .22.

They look just like his aids he wears most the time and they take the same batteries.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Seconds » 08 Aug 2014, 11:36 am

bigfellascott wrote:I shot a bunny out of the passenger side window and didn't have the muzzle out the window and man did it hurt the ears!

:lol:

I know I shouldn't, but I couldn't help smile at reading that :D
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Aug 2014, 2:40 pm

Seconds wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:I shot a bunny out of the passenger side window and didn't have the muzzle out the window and man did it hurt the ears!

I might need a longer barrel to make it out the passenger window hey! shooting a rifle inside the cab whilst the muzzle isn't outside isn't a good idea as I discovered! :lol: :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 10 Aug 2014, 9:15 am

I just put my fingers in my ears then I have a good excuse for missing!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 5Tom » 10 Aug 2014, 10:09 pm

No ear protection.

When your at the range, there is excessive noise and warrants protection. Likewise, if your under shelter or near walls where the sound can bounce back at you.

When your out in the field, the noise isn't as bad as it travels away from you.

Different story if you or your hunting buddy has a muzzle brake.
5Tom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 11 Aug 2014, 8:02 am

5Tom wrote:No ear protection.
When your at the range, there is excessive noise and warrants protection. Likewise, if your under shelter or near walls where the sound can bounce back at you. When your out in the field, the noise isn't as bad as it travels away from you. Different story if you or your hunting buddy has a muzzle brake.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Muzzle brakes are for Self opiated Selfish Wankers!!!Did I tell you I have one!!!!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Monty » 11 Aug 2014, 10:29 am

Westy wrote:I just put my fingers in my ears then I have a good excuse for missing!!!!

So then.... With fingers in both your ears your rifle is on the floor? :lol:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Sender » 11 Aug 2014, 10:30 am

5Tom wrote:Different story if you or your hunting buddy has a muzzle brake.

The one guy in a hunting party with a muzzle brake is always the popular one :lol:
Sender
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 11 Aug 2014, 10:40 pm

Seconds wrote:

One experience (bad) that I had, was when a friend and I were getting ready to go shooting.
Friend spotted a bunny squatting under a bush approx. 200 metres away.
He said, "Bet you can't clobber him from here".
That was like the red rag to the bull.
I leant across the tray of his ute with the 22/250, lined him up and squeezed. *Note; No hearing protection as it was only gonna be one shot.

What I failed to take into account was,,, He had a steel sided dog crate across the rear end on my right, and the steel head board was on my left.
Talk about a double whammy. :oops: :oops: :oops:

Anyway, whilst talking about hearing protection, how about this that I was told just recently on another forum.
A fella from Scotland told me that OH&S is taken so seriously nowadays, that the equivalent of the F/Arms branch over there, quite often ask registered F/Arm owners if they want the classification that enables ownership of a Moderator / Silencer.

Lucky Bugg*rs :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 11 Aug 2014, 10:52 pm

Yeah it don't half hurt the ears when something like that happens! :lol: Those Scots have got the right idea, unfortunately we are governed by F@#$wits who really have SFA idea of the real world, all their knowledge comes from moves and newspapers and TV new reporters, completely clueless the lot of em. :evil:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Hennie Dreyer » 12 Aug 2014, 5:37 am

I do not believe that not wearing any prot is going to make any difference whatsoever whilst hunting.

For culling purposes yes, and target shooting.

How many shots do you fire whilst hunting at a target and at what frequency?

Ok ok ok... see already what some of you may nail me on ..... hehehe
Hennie Dreyer
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by Pom » 12 Aug 2014, 9:24 am

Die Judicii wrote:A fella from Scotland told me that OH&S is taken so seriously nowadays, that the equivalent of the F/Arms branch over there, quite often ask registered F/Arm owners if they want the classification that enables ownership of a Moderator / Silencer.

Same in NZ. Suppressors over there are an OH&S issue (amazingly not a terrorist accessory for assassinating politicians like people here seem to think).

I've read some ranges there actually require them in fact.
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by squirrelhunter » 12 Aug 2014, 9:25 am

Hennie Dreyer wrote:How many shots do you fire whilst hunting at a target and at what frequency?

I fire 2-3 then realise my ears are hurting and put the muffs back on :lol:
Ruger Gunsite Scout in .308
Bushnell 3-9x 40mm - Multi-X
squirrelhunter
Private
Private

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey