Hunting ducks on your own land

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting ducks on your own land

Post by jennageit » 13 Aug 2014, 11:00 am

Hi Guys,

I have a question regarding hunting ducks on your own land.

After the 2009 bushfires, we went from having about 15 ducks (wood ducks) on our dam, to having in excess of about 80. at one stage, there was standing room only on there, and they fouled the water really badly, so much so that I lost 8 immature sheep to salmonela (sp?) poisoning. My dam water now stinks, and I can't let any stock drink out of it. I'll be buying calves soon, and I dont' want to lose them either!

I know you need a shotty for ducks, but during duck season, are you allowed to shoot them on your own property?
I've got to do something to get rid of them. My dogs try hard, but as soon as the dogs are away, the ducks just land again. Foxes seem to take one or two a season, but it isn't enough, and after taking a very slow walk (I'm still struggling to walk with my back the way it is) I found another 11 ducklings on my dam.

So, can I shoot them on my own property? Do I have to wait for duck season to do it?

Are there any other ways I could get rid of them without shooting them? I'm not that interested in buying a shotty at this stage.

Any adivce would be greatly appreciated guys

Jenna
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Hunting ducks on your own land

Post by Fozzy » 13 Aug 2014, 12:38 pm

Should be able to get a gas banger/cannon a lot of orchards use them for birds
Fozzy
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Ade » 13 Aug 2014, 1:21 pm

Mate if your in WA. I'll gladly help you get rid of as many as you need
Brno model 2 .22
Beretta silver pigeon 12 bore
I.Hollis and Sons 12 bore side by side hammers sidelock 2,5
Ade
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 13 Aug 2014, 1:24 pm

"Hunting ducks on your OWN land.

Just a slight technicality here in case you've just shot yourself in the foot.
Didn't you say in a previous post that it isn't your land, and that you were renting ??

If that is the case, that also could have implications with your F/arms license, as in you would have to get a letter of authority from a land owner giving you permission to shoot on his land, to be able to legally get a F/arm license in the first instance. (Not sure of state by state regs, you would be wise to check)

As for shooting ducks on "your own land" ,,,,,,,, I think that you would still have to abide by all the usual "Duck Hunting" rules and regulations.

Suffice to say,,,, that unless you can go through the proper channels and obtain a permit to cull or destroy (which you may or may never get) you would be stuck with having to abide by the rules like everyone else.
:| :|
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by jennageit » 13 Aug 2014, 1:37 pm

Yep, we're renting, so it's not our land.

Permission to shoot on this place is on its' way from the owner, at least that's what she's told me.

I was wondering if I'd have to abide by duck hunting laws.

Hadn't thought of Gas banger/canon - might look into that one.

Thanks guys
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by AusC » 13 Aug 2014, 4:12 pm

jennageit wrote:Are there any other ways I could get rid of them without shooting them? I'm not that interested in buying a shotty at this stage.

You could look at getting another duck hunter in to do it for you if you don't want to pony up for a shotty yourself and do the waterfowl identification test and the rest.

You don't always have to pay someone, some blokes who are keen to hunt do it in exchange for access to the property so it's win-win. Inviting a stranger onto your property to shoot isn't something to take lightly, but if you find the right person that could be an option for you.

It's a thought anyway.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Vati » 13 Aug 2014, 4:12 pm

C'mon, you know deep down you do want a shotgun yourself :lol:
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 13 Aug 2014, 4:36 pm

AusC, might look at finding a hunter who wants to come and do it for me.

Might have a chat to the guys at the gun club tonight.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 13 Aug 2014, 7:00 pm

Die Judicii wrote:"Hunting ducks on your OWN land.

Just a slight technicality here in case you've just shot yourself in the foot.
Didn't you say in a previous post that it isn't your land, and that you were renting ??

If that is the case, that also could have implications with your F/arms license, as in you would have to get a letter of authority from a land owner giving you permission to shoot on his land, to be able to legally get a F/arm license in the first instance. (Not sure of state by state regs, you would be wise to check)

As for shooting ducks on "your own land"... I think that you would still have to abide by all the usual "Duck Hunting" rules and regulations.

Suffice to say,,,, that unless you can go through the proper channels and obtain a permit to cull or destroy (which you may or may never get) you would be stuck with having to abide by the rules like everyone else.
:| :|

Go easy on the girl (lady)...
The lessee has practically all the rights and responsibilities as the legal owner of the land. Indeed, if the firearm licence is issues for the reason of PP then it will be issued to the applicant as the owner, manager or lessee of the land...

As far as controlling ducks, get a shotty and go for it.. of course you'll need a permit to destroy the duck :roll: I would never suggest contravening the righteous laws of this great state of mexico..... never....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by MeccaOz » 13 Aug 2014, 7:05 pm

like 1290 said, you should be able to get a permit to destroy them (don't use the word hunting) because they are damaging your dam and killing your livestock.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by AusC » 14 Aug 2014, 1:57 pm

jennageit wrote:AusC, might look at finding a hunter who wants to come and do it for me.

Good luck with it. If I get into duck hunting I'll send you a message :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 15 Aug 2014, 8:55 am

if you lived here there would be hunters looking to lease your hunting rights they would pay you to let them hunt over that pond.
wood ducks are a very prized here they build nesting boxs for them to try and bring the numbers up
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by 1290 » 15 Aug 2014, 12:46 pm

wrenchman wrote:if you lived here there would be hunters looking to lease your hunting rights they would pay you to let them hunt over that pond.
wood ducks are a very prized here they build nesting boxs for them to try and bring the numbers up

We have practically plague proportions of Pacific blacks, even in the burbs where ever there's a pond or water..... don't even consider grabbing the 12g- freaking greentards
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by scrolllock » 16 Aug 2014, 6:38 pm

Ditto.

I often see ducks walking around the local streets. Just needs wet grass and a couple of puddles.
scrolllock
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by crush » 16 Aug 2014, 6:39 pm

1290 wrote:don't even consider grabbing the 12g- freaking greentards

All that free dinner going to waste :(
crush
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by 1290 » 16 Aug 2014, 7:14 pm

crush wrote:
1290 wrote:don't even consider grabbing the 12g- freaking greentards

All that free dinner going to waste :(

You could look at it that way, but a select minority within the community, a VOCAL minority would prefer that the resource, and it is an immense resource of the most natural free ranging wild meats go to waste for the sake of 'humanity', wild ducks, roos, wallaby, pigs deer, goat.... etc would die a natural and in times of drought, slow painful death rather than, perish the thought, feed humans..

Personally, I believe that hunting of any species, whether conveniently labelled as 'game' or not, should not be regulated by the 'government'. Either a species is 'threatened' and therefore protected or its on like ron. This BS where you need to pay for a game permit....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by whert » 18 Aug 2014, 8:40 am

1290 wrote:This BS where you need to pay for a game permit....

Yep. I'd like to see some results of what they're doing with that money other than paying themselves as a fee for taking the money...
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 18 Aug 2014, 11:32 am

Most animals populations are influenced by man now days threw crops bird feeder and well cared for lawn

And animals can get diseased or starve I have seen how disease can wipe out a population of deer its not not nice.

I think we should manage animals let the tree hugger see dead animals layng on there law or hurt there kids or pet then they become vermin and that should never happen.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by 1290 » 18 Aug 2014, 7:15 pm

whert wrote:
1290 wrote:This BS where you need to pay for a game permit....

Yep. I'd like to see some results of what they're doing with that money other than paying themselves as a fee for taking the money...

Paying the inspectors to check that we've paid the fee..... lots of sense there....

I find it frankly offensive, if the game is a public resource then the public should be able to access that public resource....

Oh but the state government 'manages' the game..... right, they seem to be reproducing without the gov doing to them what their doing to the human part of the community.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by whert » 19 Aug 2014, 10:49 am

1290 wrote:Oh but the state government 'manages' the game..... right

Exactly.

Dunno about anyone else but I've never seen hide nor hair of anyone from the gov out there.

Magically managing the forests from an office in the city somehow I guess...
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Vati » 19 Aug 2014, 10:51 am

wrenchman wrote:I think we should manage animals let the tree hugger see dead animals layng on there law or hurt there kids or pet then they become vermin and that should never happen.

Good in theory except you can't use common sense with these people.

Half off them refuse to acknowledge there is a problem at all. The other half acknowledge the problems of overpopulation, disease etc. but won't accept the only solution for them. Oh they'll talk about it for ever and say something needs to be done, but you can never pull the trigger and actually do anything.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by jennageit » 19 Aug 2014, 11:07 am

Well guys, I've been lax and haven't read through all of the posts above this one.

I believe if it's on your own land, destroying something, you've got every bloody right to shoot it. I've seen whole herds of cattle wiped out because of ducks spoiling the dam water, and it's not a quick death either. We've lost countess sheep, I tried to sort out the numbers the other night but it was too depressing.

If it's on your land, and poses a threat to your livestock, your living, your own health, then shoot the damned thing. Permits, permission, red tape, black tape, green tape, who gives a s**t. all that paperwork isn't going to make your dying cow feel better, is it?

It's not as if we're the only ones with water around here!

Of course, I will abide by the law, whatever the greentards might choose it to be at the time, but it doesn't mean I have to like it.

I say "Give Australia back to Australians, and bring back our old way of life and traditions". The country didn't implode beofre the greentards got involved, so why would it now?!
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by joojoobeans » 20 Aug 2014, 8:25 am

jennageit wrote:The country didn't implode beofre the greentards got involved, so why would it now?!

It will be all the Greens rubbish that does it if anything.

The road to hell is paved with good intentions as they say, and the Greens are leading the way.
joojoobeans
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by FuzzyM » 20 Aug 2014, 8:48 am

How big is your dam? Would bird netting be possible, like they use in orchards. I know it is a big operation, but it sounds like these ducks are causing a real problem for you.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 20 Aug 2014, 12:30 pm

I've given up guys, I've had enough.

We've sold the last of the livestock, so I don't have to worry about them getting sick. The ducks are making a real mess of the water, and crapping all over the banks. I can't let the dogs near it any more because they always end up with the squirts after coming back.
I thought about the netting idea but the dam is too bloody big to make it worthwhile. I'm going to shoot the ducks, or should I say, get someone in to shoot them, and we'll just keep shooting until the bastards are gone.

I'm thinking we wont be living here much longer now anyway, at least, no more than about twelve months. If that's the case, why bother. I'm over it.

In about two months (say, around late october early november) i'll be looking for someone in the area to come and shoot. I want to start using the water again over summer, as I may be getting some lambs for the freezer. It's during this time that we can get anywhere up to 50 on the water, and about the same on the banks around it.
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by wrenchman » 06 Sep 2014, 8:59 am

once you start shooting them off the pond they git smart and go some were else but it will take more then once.
are they nesting by you you can oil the eggs or shake them it helps bring numbers down in areas were you dont want them we do it to geese some time.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Lorgar » 07 Sep 2014, 11:18 am

A neighbour of mine had ducks in his pool.

Wanting to do the humane thing he caught them and drove them half an hour away to a local river.

Dropped them off, drove home... Meanwhile they're flying above him and beat him back to his pool :lol:
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Herdsman » 07 Sep 2014, 11:19 am

Lorgar wrote:Wanting to do the humane thing he caught them and drove them half an hour away to a local river.

Eat 'em all I say.
Shepherding bullets down range.

Tikka Hunter Stainless Fluted 300 Win Mag
Tikka Battue Lite .308 Win
Tikka Varmint Stainless .222 Rem
Herdsman
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey