Adding hunting to licence (VIC)

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Adding hunting to licence (VIC)

Post by HallyD79 » 21 Aug 2014, 5:28 pm

Hey all,

I have just got my AB long arm licence in Victoria. I am a member of the local target club and that is listed on my licence.

but...I want to add hunting to my licence as I have crown land nearby and wouldn't mind picking off a few pests. Do I have to write to the proper government department? can I just join SSAA and request hunting be added to my licence? is there anything specific to look up for just shooting pests? (not looking at hunting deer)

I looked up registration for hunting pests on crown land but came up with nothing.

as it says in subject I am in Victoria, so local help would be great.

Hally
HallyD79
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Adding hunting to licence (VIC)

Post by Bourt » 21 Aug 2014, 7:45 pm

The SSAA is an approved hunting club.

Just get them to put it on your membership and that's enough to have it added to your license :)

You'll just need to send the updated SSAA membership paper to the VIC licensing dept for them to update your shooters license.
Bourt
Sergeant
Sergeant

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 21 Aug 2014, 7:47 pm

Bourt is right in one instance.

You can also get a 'Registration of Interest to Hunt Pest Animals on Crown' from the DSE and send that as supporting documentation for adding hunting to your license. Costs $13 or something.

Same as above, get the paperwork and send it to Licensing & Regulation Division with an updated license application to add hunting to your license and you're all good.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by HallyD79 » 21 Aug 2014, 11:37 pm

Thanks guys,

I think the SSAA membership is the way to go. then I can get some practice time on the ranges they are affiliated with too.

Hally
HallyD79
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by whert » 22 Aug 2014, 10:17 am

That'll do it.

Just get them to put target shooting and hunting on your membership and you're covered for everything :)
Weatherby Vanguard S2 .270 Winchester
Mossberg M464 30-30
Gamo Maxima .177
whert
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 22 Aug 2014, 10:19 am

Adding to whert's comment... covered for everything except game hunting.

'Hunting' on your license here in VIC only covers you for pests, not deer by itself.

If you want to go deer hunting you need a game license as well which is a separate thing.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by beerhog » 22 Aug 2014, 8:11 pm

Do we need separate permissions for hunting and target shooting in Vic? When I got my licence I used the intention to hunt on crown land as my genuine reason but have shot at littleriver with no hassles.I have joined the ssaa now for the cheaper range fees, so do I need to get my licence updated to avoid any legal hassles that ay arise?
beerhog
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 22 Aug 2014, 8:53 pm

Check your local laws, ask your Registry and/or ask at the Range but I think you will find that like here in NSW "Target" is only required to enter into a Registered Target Competition. What you are doing at your Range is "Sighting In" which comes under your "Hunting" Licence.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 23 Aug 2014, 2:20 pm

sorry, disregard ^

You can hunt pests on crown land in VIc with a sport/target endorsed licence.

.....you dont need to sign up to the double ess double aye (unless you really want to of course) neither do you need to get your longarm licence changed.

Just go shoot those vaaaaarmints.

Of course if your not convinced, refer to schedule 2 of your firearms act, all respect to the police, if you ask them they will possible misguide you either purposefully or not...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by bhs » 23 Aug 2014, 5:16 pm

bhs
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Apollo » 23 Aug 2014, 5:24 pm

That puts a different aspect on the "1290" story.
Apollo
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey