Where do these idiots think deer live?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Where do these idiots think deer live?

Post by 1sikxt » 28 Aug 2014, 11:46 am

FuzzyM wrote:
1sikxt wrote:Well I'm yet to see one :( maybe looking in the wrong bush

I see a few around, problem is I tend to see them where I can't hunt them.... Like bushes on the side of the road, yep, three in the last month :?

We had a fallow deer hanging around the family farm until about 1 week before I got my firearms license, then he bailed! :roll:
Was funny though, he was butting heads with Mum's stallion through the fence :lol:

To be honest I have seen them on the side of the road but that doesn't count
Howa 204 varmint
Anschütz 1530 222
Savage 12 223
Weatherby 22-250
Savage custom 10 243
Savage 10 308
Savage 12 308
Savage 110 338 lap fcp
Lithgow 22
Brno 1 22
Webley and scott 12g
1sikxt
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by handofcod » 28 Aug 2014, 6:08 pm

Had a similar conversation with a friend whose boyfriend didn't believe she'd seen a deer as they were driving through the Otways. I told them there are probably 100K deer in VIC alone and they were completely blown away.
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by jennageit » 28 Aug 2014, 7:58 pm

Off topic slightly.

I remember my dad having a bumper sticker on his old HQ once.

"Bang Bambi for the Venison" it was either that or "Bang Bambi for the Meat", can't quite remember. I know it pissed a lot of people off, but he left it on the car anyway lol

No idea where he got it from, but it was over 20 years ago.

Although I don't recall ever seeing deer when I've been horseriding, we were probably making too much of a racket to see them anyway. I do know of a guy who wrote his car off when he hit one, somewhere up near Dargo.
Back from a break, and ready to shoot again :)
jennageit
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Pilch » 29 Aug 2014, 5:57 pm

jennageit wrote:Bush to the GREENS is a "shrubbery". Never thought a Monty Python quote would come in handy!

Ni!
Pilch
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by gherx » 29 Aug 2014, 5:58 pm

jennageit wrote:I do know of a guy who wrote his car off when he hit one, somewhere up near Dargo.

That's one way to do it :lol:
gherx
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by keg » 04 Sep 2014, 11:42 am

Believe it or not in the States we have deer living in many urban areas. I live near Fort Wayne Indiana and in that city of 300,000 there are tons of deer. The city is established as an urban deer zone and you cannot kill a buck until you check a doe. Because most of the hunting is so close to the populated areas it is archery only. I lived behind the local university in an apartment complex and regularly seen deer cutting through to the river bottom. Getting a spot to hunt is hard but the guys that have them can clean up if they are into killing does.
keg
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by Norty_Country_Bloke » 04 Sep 2014, 1:12 pm

Deer live at the north pole with that jolly bloke in red, don't they? He'll wanna be careful that animal rights groups don't find out about him making them pull a sleigh! :o
.22LR, .222 Remington, .12g. But it's not the same when they don't live in your safe :P
Norty_Country_Bloke
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 04 Sep 2014, 1:39 pm

We have plently of deer coming in to towns around the outer metro, in fact, the roos are, over the last 3 or 4 years coming onto my property and about 50 to 100m from our home, and this had never happened until the recent drought.... no food so they move in.... and we are within the out metro suburbs of Melbourne, not bush....
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by lole » 04 Sep 2014, 4:00 pm

Norty_Country_Bloke wrote:He'll wanna be careful that animal rights groups don't find out about him making them pull a sleigh! :o

Animal labour laws? :D
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey