Run in with wild dogs

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Run in with wild dogs

Post by Press » 02 Oct 2013, 11:18 am

So my mate and I had a bit of an experience yesterday...

He has a property north of Melbourne where he keeps cows and sheep, and we normally shoot rabbits and foxes.

We'd camped out after a day of shooting and had set up tent in the nook of a small hill to shelter us from the wind. In the morning we heard some muted growls from the other side of the hill and went to check it out and found 3 feral dogs in a stand off with one of this cows about 20 meters away.

He's never seen dogs on his property before so we weren't expecting them at all. He had his rifle slung over his back just so he didn't leave it unattended but had no ammo, luckily I had mine and a magazine handy because when the dogs saw us they went off the cow and turned their attention towards us.

We had an unspoken moment of panic between us as we weren't sure if a shot this close might shock them into having a go at us. Taking the remaining 2 out of 3 sprinting dogs down as they close the 20 metres between us with a bolt action isn't something I'd like to test my luck over...

After a minute it didn't look like they were backing down so I shot the first of the three and luckily the other two legged it.

Scary couple of minutes though... He's very happy that they came across a cow first that had some size to intimidate with too, and not some of sheep.

Just something for anyone with a property in north VIC to keep in mind.
Last edited by Press on 14 Jun 2016, 2:48 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Run in with wild dogs

Post by Hercl » 02 Oct 2013, 1:07 pm

Press wrote:I tell ya, we have a moments panic between us as we weren't sure if a shot this close might shock them into having a go at us. Taking a 2/3 sprinting dogs down in 20 metres with a bolt action isn't something I'd like to test my luck over...

Rough story mate :(

Glad to hear it worked out. They can be amazingly aggressive some of those feral dogs.

You'd think something the size of a cow would be reasonably proof against dogs, but there was a farmer a while ago who had a group of of alpacas who were there for stock protection killed by wild dogs. You never know :(
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Hercl » 02 Oct 2013, 1:08 pm

After thought... Good excuse to buy yourself a sweet lever action now ;)
What is this "too many rifles" you speak of?
Hercl
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by steyroy » 02 Oct 2013, 1:11 pm

Hercl wrote:After thought... Good excuse to buy yourself a sweet lever action now ;)

Way to find the silver lining :lol:
Tikka T3 Battue in .308 Win
Savage Model 12 BTCSS .223 Rem
CZ 455 Special in .17 HMR
steyroy
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Harts » 02 Oct 2013, 1:20 pm

Press wrote:I tell ya, we have a moments panic between us as we weren't sure if a shot this close might shock them into having a go at us. Taking a 2/3 sprinting dogs down in 20 metres with a bolt action isn't something I'd like to test my luck over...

I can imagine the adrenaline pumping there :lol:
Harts
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by AusC » 02 Oct 2013, 1:26 pm

Press wrote:We'd camped out after a day of shooting and had set up tent in the nook of a small hill to shelter us from the wind. In the morning we heard some muted growls from the other side of the hill and went to check it out and found 3 feral dogs in a stand off with one of this cows about 20 meters away.

He's never seen dogs on his property before so we weren't expecting them at all. He had his rifle slung over his back just so he didn't leave it unattended but had no ammo, luckily I had mine and a magazine handy because when the dogs saw us they went off the cow and turned their attention towards us.

Good outcome.

Give your mate a slap though for not taking ammo with him to the "mystery growls" on the other side of the hill :lol:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by brisb » 02 Oct 2013, 2:39 pm

AusC wrote:Give your mate a slap though for not taking ammo with him to the "mystery growls" on the other side of the hill :lol:

Damn right. I'd have been s**ting myself :lol:
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 9:36 pm

Glad you are both ok!
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Press » 02 Oct 2013, 9:41 pm

mel wrote:Glad you are both ok!

We are, thanks.

Not ashamed to say I was s**ting myself at the time though. Ha.
Howa 'bout it?

Howa Hunter 308
Marlin 444
Howa Talon 25-06
Winchester 1900 22LR
Press
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by mel » 02 Oct 2013, 10:15 pm

I can imagine!! I don't think I would of waited that long to start shooting!! Lol
mel
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by Klem » 03 Oct 2013, 7:26 am

mel wrote:I can imagine!! I don't think I would of waited that long to start shooting!! Lol

No kidding. I'd have been straight at it too.
Klem
Private
Private

South Australia

Post by Humir » 04 Oct 2013, 11:04 am

I wonder if many people have run ins when hunting wild dogs?

Not my area of expertise, but I suppose it's safe to say a shot will send them running most times? If you came across a large pack they might be bold enough to attack after a shot is fired though?
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by Hardcast » 05 Oct 2013, 7:44 pm

A mate has a large property up in The Flinders and during the Drought several years back, they were alerted to wild dogs by some campers
who were walking the Heysen trail and staying over night in the cabins provided.
They had heard dogs calling all through the night and had actually seen a pair outside the cabin early one morning.
Anyway the owner soon realised he had a major problem when he started loosing more and more sheep.
As he said, in the old days there were 16 people working this Station, always out and about on horseback or motor bikes.
Now there's me and the wife and so the dogs don't see anyone for months on end, if ever.

It turns out that they are a bit niave (the dogs) and at this stage will come to a fox whistle, as he found out one morning.
A pair, and three pups came up close enough to shoot with a Shotgun, (pump) which he did, leaving only one pup to dispatch later.

He hasn't had a problem with them being aggressive at this stage, but are getting smarter having been shot at quite a bit.
He has seen small packs of up to 6 dogs. This is the problem with wild dogs, they don't necessarily leave home like other wild animals, and don't
hunt alone like a fox or Dingo, even though there may be a pair of foxes working the same area, they don't often stay close together.

I've been up there several times now and believe me there are some large, beautifull animals there at the moment.
Seriously, cross bred what appeared to be a Rotty or Mastiff / Husky. Blue and white longish hair with a pug nose and a big chest, probably 40 + klgs.
Another one was tall like a Wolf hound, but a really goldy colour like a Lab.

Just saying.
Hardcast
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by inspector » 05 Oct 2013, 10:09 pm

I'm sure there are some fine specimens of dog out there.

When your in a situation like Press was in though, I'm thinking it's tough to appreciate when they are 40kg of aggressive teeth...
inspector
Private
Private

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control