.410 shotgun for hunting backup

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

.410 shotgun for hunting backup

Post by samf » 24 Sep 2014, 12:27 pm

Hi guys,

Shotgun newbie here. I'd like a shotgun just to have one.

To have some fun with clays and as a backup for shooting a rabbit or fox if one springs up close, instead of destroying it with the rifle at closer range.

I think a .410 would be good. 12 gauge is more than I'd like to shoot regularly.

How would that go as a hunting backup and for some clay fun? Is it the same range but with less pellets to hit than a 12 gauge. Should still be plenty for a rabbit or fox right?
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Re: .410 shotgun for hunting backup

Post by Die Judicii » 24 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm

I hear what you are saying / asking...

But in the long run you'd probably end up going for a 12g anyway, so maybe buy once and cry once.

I had two 410 s as a teenager, and then when I got my 1st 12g, I've never looked back.

410 is ok for close range bunnies etc and wrigglers (in a shed),,,,,,,,, but you can do so much more with a 12g

If recoil is your worry, there are lighter recoil shells available, (I'm fairly sure)

A good quality gun usually doesn't have felt kick as much as the cheap and nasty ones do.

:D
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Warrigul » 24 Sep 2014, 2:32 pm

If it is close enough to hit with a shotgun it is close enough to head shoot with a rifle. Even a .410 often wrecks a rabbit. If I want eaters I use the rifle.

A .410 is expensive to run, limited in shot size and pretty much useless for 98% of the shots you will want to take.

But you really sound like you want one and whom am I to say other wise.

Just my humble opinions
Last edited by Warrigul on 24 Sep 2014, 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Mr.x » 24 Sep 2014, 6:24 pm

Why not a 20g ?
Mr.x
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Sep 2014, 6:45 pm

Just go a cheap 12g mate, the 410g are ok but as Warrigul alluded to the 410g ammo is expensive ($25 per box) or there abouts verses $8 for the 12g (clay ammo). I've got a $60 Single Barrel that I use to bust clays and shoot foxes and bunnies with, does a fine job and didn't require a bank loan to buy so all good.

I often carry it and my rifle when it country where its scrubby/open, I've had the little buggers come stand right next to me and the 12g is real handy for quick shots like that.

bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Warrigul » 24 Sep 2014, 7:15 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Just go a cheap 12g mate, the 410g are ok but as Warrigul alluded to the 410g ammo is expensive ($25 per box) or there abouts verses $8 for the 12g (clay ammo). I've got a $60 Single Barrel that I use to bust clays and shoot foxes and bunnies with, does a fine job and didn't require a bank loan to buy so all good.

I often carry it and my rifle when it country where its scrubby/open, I've had the little buggers come stand right next to me and the 12g is real handy for quick shots like that.

I've used #7 clay cartridges on rabbits before when using a dog to drive, cheap shooting.

Some of the best shoots I have had were with a 12ga single barrel.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Sep 2014, 7:39 pm

I use 1 oz 12g loads if I want to reduce meat damage, seems to help.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Timb0 » 25 Sep 2014, 8:02 am

I bought my only shotgun a while back for completely different reasons. Its a coach gun I mainly use to shoot solid slugs out of for hunting pigs in thick scrub.

When I was looking to buy one I wanted something that my partner could shoot also, just for a bit of fun nothing really serious. She is about 5'2" and 50kg and doesn't like a lot of recoil. A .410 would have been useless for me and a 12ga to big for the missus.

The bloke in the gun shop showed me something called a LittleSkeeter. They are an alloy insert to change 12ga to .410. I thought they were expensive at about $100 but they kept us both happy. I don't know what effect they have on shot pattern, but I don't really care as I don't take them too serious.

They might be of interest. http://www.littleskeeters.com/products.htm
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by samf » 25 Sep 2014, 1:25 pm

Warrigul wrote:A .410 is expensive to run

bigfellascott wrote:Just go a cheap 12g mate, the 410g are ok but as Warrigul alluded to the 410g ammo is expensive ($25 per box) or there abouts verses $8 for the 12g (clay ammo).

Ok I've got a wired crossed somewhere there then, didn't realise it was anywhere near that expensive to shoot.

Not worth getting for that factor alone.

$60 for a single barrel 12 gauge... can't go wrong with that price :D
samf
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by samf » 25 Sep 2014, 1:28 pm

Thanks Timbo. Good reading.
samf
Private
Private

Victoria