Tips for free-hand shooting while hunting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Tips for free-hand shooting while hunting

Post by RealNick » 01 Oct 2014, 1:33 pm

Like the title says...

What do you guys do for your free-hand shots when hunting (Other than point and shoot :lol:)

I find I'm good to about 70-80m and then the wobbles start to get the best of me.

I'd have to say I have bugger all confidence in doing a 150-200m shot.

You can't always drop for a prone shot so that leaves me with getting better and free-hand :D

Keen to hear any advice people have.

Thanks.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Re: Tips for free-hand shooting while hunting

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Oct 2014, 1:43 pm

Ive found using a sling for setting up a more stable position on the fly can help heaps. I'm about to invest in a safari ching sling, let you know how that goes
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 01 Oct 2014, 6:45 pm

as with most things practice is the key. practice raising the rifle, getting the rifle into the same place every time and not standing there trying to get it right and getting tired, the muzzle starts doing circles and the longer you stand there the bigger the circles get.

learn how to shoot with a double point sling, most hunters have them but few know how to use them effectively. shooting service rifles is great for practicing using the sling in standing, sitting/kneeling and prone positions.

metallic silhouette is a good way to help you practice shooting off hand standing but they don't use a sling.

on a hunting gun i would stay away from single point, match (turner) or tactical style slings and just use your carry sling. i tried to find a video of how to use a double point webbing or carry sling but all the vids are of 3 point slings

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Oct 2014, 6:56 pm

if you only have two swivel points on your gun, this guy makes a special sling http://www.andysleather.com/ A Rhodesian sling, which is similar to a ching sling, but made for tow swivel points. Also Galco make a 2 pointed ching sling..

heres one video of looping up with a ching sling in the kneeling position, but it will give you the idea ( and I stole the video idea off Chronos lol )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A_1CZcGT-ig
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Chronos » 01 Oct 2014, 7:01 pm

OK here's another for using a loop sling. fine for target shooting and it's how i learned to shoot but not practical for hunting......or battle LOL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTsUaujfiB8

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Bennybigbores » 01 Oct 2014, 7:15 pm

Definetly sling technique helps stabilise, also I found just through practise the longer I dwell or try to hold the more I move or shake, just using my .22lr I experimented and found I consistent hit better firing fast with a steady fluid movement over the target over taking time and trying to hold on target, this is just me others will no doubt be different, try it yourself it may work for you aswell.
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by MeccaOz » 01 Oct 2014, 7:36 pm

Bennybigbores wrote:Definetly sling technique helps stabilise, also I found just through practise the longer I dwell or try to hold the more I move or shake, just using my .22lr I experimented and found I consistent hit better firing fast with a steady fluid movement over the target over taking time and trying to hold on target, this is just me others will no doubt be different, try it yourself it may work for you aswell.

Yup same here mate. Breathe in as you lift up exhale slightly, fire.. All in a fluid movement, if you hold on to long and try to sight it you will start the shakes and you need to start again, well I do anyway
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by wrenchman » 02 Oct 2014, 8:21 am

I like a walking stick that can be used like shooting sticks any thing to help you are not alone some guys are just to proud.
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by bigfellascott » 02 Oct 2014, 9:50 am

I just wrap the sling around my forearm and around my elbow type thing, works fine for me, but most of my shooting is done via a bipod or vehicle rest these days.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by VICHunter » 02 Oct 2014, 2:02 pm

I don't know where you're hunting, but honestly I find the easiest thing to do if possible it walk a few steps to a tree or something else for support.

Unless I'm spotted and the games about to leg it I'll take a quiet steps to support myself on something better.

At 200m you've often got time to do this and common VIC forests there is usually support nearby. Don't risk the wobbly free-hand shot if you have the other option.

IMO.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Vati » 02 Oct 2014, 2:04 pm

Most people I've seen sway up and down with their breathing. Breath out, anticipate the movement, then time the trigger pull with your 'up' swing that goes along with your breath. Rather than trying to stay rock still.

That's what I was taught and it's worked for me.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by handofcod » 02 Oct 2014, 2:20 pm

You'd be lucky to get a shot in past 40m where I hunt and even less in parts, it's that dense. Still, I practice offhand shooting every time I go to the range. Practice, practice, practice!
CZ452 22lr | Remington 5R Milspec in .223 | Tikka Hunter in 300wsm | Ruger Scout in .308
handofcod
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Rippah » 03 Oct 2014, 11:55 am

Vati wrote:That's what I was taught and it's worked for me.

A mate of mine was in the Danish army and I heard from him that's how they teach it too.

A bit of trivia there just FYI.
Remington 700 CDL 35 Whelen
Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x50
Remington Model 12 .22LR
CZ Ring neck 12G
Rippah
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by RealNick » 03 Oct 2014, 11:55 am

MeccaOz wrote:I'm about to invest in a safari ching sling, let you know how that goes

Please do Mecca :)
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 03 Oct 2014, 11:56 am

Thanks to all for replies too.

I've got some things to try next time out.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 06 Oct 2014, 8:03 am

metallic silhouette is a good way to help you practice shooting off hand standing but they don't use a sling.

x2 ;) ;) ;)
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Norton » 06 Oct 2014, 9:44 am

This is just what I did as it seemed to make sense, not based on professional advice or anything.

You're always going to have some misses, so can't expect 100% hits.

I just set a target at 50m and once I was hitting 4 out of 5 went out to 100. 4 out of 5 on that out then to 150 and so on.

Practice, practice, practice.
CZ 550 American Safari Magnum in .416 Rigby

Other puny calibre rifles... What man would want you now?
Norton
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 06 Oct 2014, 2:17 pm

I found this video very helpful in using a sling and shooting from field positions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-lzvjGP ... 84&index=2

If i can't find or get to a good rest, i'll get down into the kneeling position as shown in the vid; if there's time, i'll get into the more stable kneel but if i've been spotted, i'll just drop to one knee with my sling tight. Trick is to 'point your stance' (even kneeling is a stance) at the target and not the rifle.

Under 50m i might shoot standing but not if much further than that, maybe out to 80m. I will shoot from kneeling out to 100m, maybe 150m but anything past that i'll take time to find a rest or somewhere to get prone, or pass on the shot.

Standing, i've found that keeping elbows into your centerline (close to body as you can; not chicken wings) helps a lot. Look at the target and raise the rifle to your eye. The target should be in the scope now. Breath out and lean into the rifle (no chicken wings). I find i reach the end of my breath as i lean in and am very stable and on target. As soon as i've reached the end of this movement i touch the shot off.

I'm not the most experienced shooter but have found since shooting like this (whist standing) my accuracy has gone through the roof and percentages way up. By the way, also practiced & taught kung fu for years so know a little bit about training, stance, stability and bio-mechanics.

Also, as mentioned by others, get your 22 out and shoot shoot shoot. I set up empty cans out of the recycling, 3 or 4 at various distances and practice repeating the above. Squeeze the trigger as soon as the sights hit the target. Practice 'stepping into' the shot as the rifle comes up while you have the target firmly in your view. What i mean by this is allow your body to align so that when the rifle comes up you are already mainly on target and not searching for aim point with the scope or open sights.

Hope that helps. It has done for me. Take or leave what ever you want from it all.

Cheers

Here's an article i also found very helpful: http://www.chuckhawks.com/off-hand_shooting.htm
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by RealNick » 08 Oct 2014, 9:04 am

Appreciate it, Gwion.

Thanks.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria