New to shooting and looking for some help!!

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

New to shooting and looking for some help!!

Post by Bood » 04 Oct 2014, 11:30 am

first up, im looking for anyone who lives near or around Gisborne who can help me out a bit with my rifle, shooting bench rest i can do ok for a newbie (always room for improvement) but if i stand up i get the vertical and horizontal sways..... seems to be i try harder not to sway then screw up a shot......

Secondly im just looking for some advice on how to go about getting permission off landowners to go shooting/spotlighting for rabbits and foxes....

ANY HELP WOULD BE APPRECIATED..
RUGER 77/17 HMR :D
HOWA M1500 .223
MARLIN .22lr
Bood
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: New to shooting and looking for some help!!

Post by Noisydad » 04 Oct 2014, 2:08 pm

Welcome aboard Bood! Nearly NO ONE can hold a gun dead steady when shooting off hand. Every one moves a gun in a figure 8 pattern (either horizontal or vertical). The trick is to time your trigger squeeze with your rifle's path through the "8" lining up the target with the center x part of the 8. Start out REALLY close up - like 30 yards out and practice, practice, practise! slowly working your way out further and further. Don't spend to much time aiming - it'll only make the wobbles worse and cause eye strain. If you haven't got your shot off in a about 3 seconds put the gun down and start again. Except for using cross sticks when shooting 200 yards (plus) with big bore BPCR my black powder shooting is done off hand and ALL with open iron sights but the idea is the same.
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Bood » 04 Oct 2014, 2:20 pm

Noisydad wrote:Welcome aboard Bood! Nearly NO ONE can hold a gun dead steady when shooting off hand. Every one moves a gun in a figure 8 pattern (either horizontal or vertical). The trick is to time your trigger squeeze with your rifle's path through the "8" lining up the target with the center x part of the 8. Start out REALLY close up - like 30 yards out and practice, practice, practise! slowly working your way out further and further. Don't spend to much time aiming - it'll only make the wobbles worse and cause eye strain. If you haven't got your shot off in a about 3 seconds put the gun down and start again. Except for using cross sticks when shooting 200 yards (plus) with big bore BPCR my black powder shooting is done off hand and ALL with open iron sights but the idea is the same.

cheers mate thanx for the advice. will give it a go.....
HOWA M1500 .223
MARLIN .22lr
Bood
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Sakoh » 05 Oct 2014, 3:36 pm

Bood wrote:seems to be i try harder not to sway then screw up a shot......

That'll happen. If you're gripping too tight and trying to hold it still by brute force you usually end up shaking and twitching all over the place.

Try a few relaxing. Slow breaths, let your shoulders hang relaxed. No kung-fu grip.

You might do better.
Sakoh
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by RealNick » 05 Oct 2014, 3:39 pm

Bood wrote:shooting bench rest i can do ok for a newbie (always room for improvement) but if i stand up i get the vertical and horizontal sways.

Have a read here mate: Tips for free-hand shooting.

Just talking about the same thing for hunting with the guys :)
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by shazz » 05 Oct 2014, 3:40 pm

Bood wrote:Secondly im just looking for some advice on how to go about getting permission off landowners to go shooting/spotlighting for rabbits and foxes...

That's always a tough one mate.

I think the SSAA do some letter templates though that might help?

Does anyone remember?
shazz
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Seconds » 08 Oct 2014, 6:56 pm

This is the NSW version of the letter but might help to start you off.

http://www.huntingandconservationnsw.or ... Letter.pdf
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by tom604 » 08 Oct 2014, 7:21 pm

talk to your work mates,friends,friends of friends anyone really that you come in contact with, start of with general chat and when you get an opening start chatting about how you saw a fox/rabbit near a golf course(they are always foxes around golf courses) and go from there. they might not have anything but they may know someone with a bit of land, a few chooks ect . cant hurt unless they are wearing a "i love tofu "shirt on :lol:

with the freehand thing the wobbles lessen if your moving the barrel ,,dropping onto the target, pick a spot on the target and as its dropping past(slowly) the spot pull the trigger,it should hit the target a bit lower,use the sling as a support and practice,,or use a tree ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Bood » 08 Oct 2014, 7:52 pm

Thanx for all the advice. .. good news is ive approached a few people I know n I now have 4 properties I can use - ranging from 13 acres, 70 acres and the biggest one I have is 250acres...

Thanx to everyone for your advice...

As for the wobbles been practicing and still practicing
HOWA M1500 .223
MARLIN .22lr
Bood
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Fry » 10 Oct 2014, 1:36 pm

Bood wrote:Thanx for all the advice. .. good news is ive approached a few people I know n I now have 4 properties I can use - ranging from 13 acres, 70 acres and the biggest one I have is 250acres...

Geez that's alright.

Someone obviously has some charisma :lol:
Fry
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Bood » 26 Oct 2014, 12:23 pm

20141017_203944.jpg
20141017_203944.jpg (36.37 KiB) Viewed 3519 times

got my first bunny the other night. was bout 70-80m away and popped him just behind the shoulder..

tried a few things and seem to be more relaxed with the rifle and not wobbling as much.....
HOWA M1500 .223
MARLIN .22lr
Bood
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 26 Oct 2014, 1:02 pm

Well done mate, that's how you do it, just get out and keep asking the question. I moved to a country town 2yrs ago and within weeks I had my first property and have since picked up around 12! I just ask the question and more times than not I get yep not a problem, go for it.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusC » 27 Oct 2014, 12:17 pm

The first one is always the best ;)
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Supporter » 27 Oct 2014, 12:17 pm

Gratz Bood :)
Winchester 1894 30-30
Howa Varminter .204 Ruger
Savage Model 10/110 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06 Springfield
Supporter
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey