Best all round hunting rifle for Australia

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Best all round hunting rifle for Australia

Post by sarki » 20 Oct 2014, 10:13 am

Not calibre this time, actual rifle.

Curious to see what's the most popular option of the different opinions people will have here.

What do you think?
Dear Santa,
Please bring me a Desert Tactical Arms SRS-A1 Rifle in .338 Lapua Magnum.
I'll be good with it, I promise!
sarki
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Best all round hunting rifle for Australia

Post by Westy » 20 Oct 2014, 10:22 am

6.5x55 Swede IMHO load it down to 85grns and load it up to 160 grns and 1/2 the recoil of a 308
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Combat_Wombat » 20 Oct 2014, 10:29 am

To cover all conditions here synthetic stainless bolt action with detachable mags so you can have 3 rounds for deer and 10 for pigs.
Remington 700 CDL .270
Rossi M92 44mag
CZ 452 deluxe .22LR
Howa 1500 .204
Savage FVSR 22
Combat_Wombat
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by North East » 20 Oct 2014, 10:29 am

Generally you don't want to be carrying a heavy rifle while hunting, I certainly don't. The lighter the better but it still has to be accurate.

I use a T3 Lite which weighs in at 6.9 Ibs with the scope. Easy to carry and accurate.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Juganort » 20 Oct 2014, 10:36 am

Don't seem to hear the Browning X bolt mentioned much in forum chit chat, I don't own one but I've been looking at one in a synthetic stock and stainless steel to handle the rough stuff. Does this fall into anyone's category for a good all rounder?
If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.
Juganort
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by Deco » 20 Oct 2014, 12:16 pm

I'm too busy shooting mine to talk about it :D

I've got the X-Bolt chambered in .270, not too heavy, shoots great. +1 from me.

)I've got the 'Hunter' which is timber/blued, not synthetic)
Browning X-Bolt Hunter in .270 Winchester
Deco
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Lyam » 20 Oct 2014, 12:18 pm

Combat_Wombat wrote:To cover all conditions here synthetic stainless bolt action with detachable mags so you can have 3 rounds for deer and 10 for pigs.

Synthetic, stainless... but I was going to say semi-auto and 5 round mag to cover all situations :)
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Oct 2014, 12:52 pm

So far I've managed to hunt successfully with the Howso's so no point in me changing em now.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Bennybigbores » 20 Oct 2014, 2:16 pm

I'm agreeing with big fella, howa's are great build it to suit your requirements, but if I was going back to a one rifle job would be an option of 3 calls depending on what I was expecting to hunt .223/.243/.308, 10 shot mags available for all three in a Remington 7600 with a Burris eliminator range finding scope, muzzle brake, laminate thumbhole or synthetic pistol grip
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by stevy » 20 Oct 2014, 2:29 pm

I'm going to say a suppressed .458 Socom with sub-sonics in semi-auto.

Sorry, I've been watching too much TV.
CZ 527 VARMINT 223 REM
CZ 555 308 WIN
stevy
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by hoofit » 20 Oct 2014, 2:30 pm

He said Australia Stevy, not Sons of Guns :P
hoofit
Recruit
Recruit

South Australia

Post by North East » 20 Oct 2014, 2:44 pm

The OP wasn't after a caliber debate…just which rifle and why.

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 20 Oct 2014, 5:57 pm

howa in anything, bit heavy for walking
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Lorgar » 20 Oct 2014, 6:10 pm

Something Stainless. Light. I went with timber stock as not a fan of synthetic, but with a roll-over cheek piece.

I mixed and matched Tikka parts to do (IMO) this. Hunter fluted action in a Forest stock.

Chambered in... anything that will take game size animals humanely.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by chacka » 20 Oct 2014, 6:12 pm

tom604 wrote:howa in anything, bit heavy for walking

Not picking on Howa here, but on the weight...

I've been out twice since a mate bought a new varmint rifle. I dunno how it does it.

I've only carried the thing for about 10 minutes total while he was sorting his jacket out and things like that and carrying it gives me the s**ts :lol:
More Than Just The Gun
chacka
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by MeccaOz » 20 Oct 2014, 6:42 pm

Personally I went down the Ruger Gunsite Scout road. But unless your taking the big stuff on a regular basis a good quarterbore and up should suffice ( I'd Love a 257 Weatherby myself, but I'd like someone else to buy the ammo,lol. ) Rifle type wise, Stainless/ Synthetic , personally I'd go for a 22 inch barrel ( only because I shoot I some tight'ish bush sometimes ) but a anything up to a 26-28 is fine if you live or shoot on flat ground and at range. I dont think there is 1 perfect rifle, it's all a tradeoff, but my Ruger does everything I need it to do when push comes to shove :)

EDIT **

I'd prefer a detachable mag that holds at least 3
I'd also go for a barrel countour of about 5, again that depends on how much your going to fire in the time that it takes to cool down, 5 is is my tradeoff contour.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by Bennybigbores » 20 Oct 2014, 6:46 pm

Howa offer more than varmint barrels! Light, ultra light, sporter, varmint 24", varmint 20", fluted varmint, long or short actions, many stock options including aftermarket to many to list, I'm almost talking myself out of my Remington 7600 pump action, second to the 7600 I'd go full camo axiom stock with camo 20" barrel, ten shot detachable mag
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 20 Oct 2014, 8:18 pm

chacka wrote:Not picking on Howa here, but on the weight...

I've been out twice since a mate bought a new varmint rifle. I dunno how it does it.

I've only carried the thing for about 10 minutes total while he was sorting his jacket out and things like that and carrying it gives me the s**ts :lol:

Ya mates a bit of a d**khead for buying a Varmint rifle for a walkaround outfit in the first place! (made the same mistake myself as a newbie) :lol: Varmint rifles aren't designed to be shot off the shoulder, they're designed to be shot off some sort of rest. Mind you it didn't hinder me at all as I could handle the weight no dramas at all (young fit and healthy then) and would often carry a rifle/shotgun at any one time and still do on occasion.

My Howa 204 weighs 4.1kg with scope etc, so not overly heavy but not my idea of a carry round rifle for shooting off the shoulder, perfect for smacking varmints but. My lightest rifle Sako L461Ai 222 weighs 3.1kg with scope etc. Actually those weights don't include the bolt, so say another 200 -300g or there about to those weights.

All I can say is they are all light compared to humping the M60! - that thing weighed around 11kg plus belts of ammo, carry that 20k's and you know your alive :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by North East » 20 Oct 2014, 8:32 pm

Yep…the Varmints are usually way to heavy for a walk about hunting rifle. Some people may disagree.

A light sporter type hunting rifle is easy off hand or leaning against a tree…but they can kick a bit in the bigger .30 cals…even the non magnums. But a bit of recoil will not kill you..

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 20 Oct 2014, 9:41 pm

I'm surprised how good howa's shoot and look for a cheaper
rifle I'd recommend them to anyone although I'm a Tikka Tart myself!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Really off American ( supposed ) made rifles at present. have bought 2 Remington's this year both were pieces of s**t, poorly made and 1 of them only lasted 5 weeks in my safe and the other has had a trigger replaced ,the stock replaced and a lot of hours spent on it to make it shoot and it's not yet a year old. :evil: :cry: :twisted:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by MeccaOz » 21 Oct 2014, 2:36 am

bigfellascott wrote:Ya mates a bit of a d**khead for buying a Varmint rifle for a walkaround outfit in the first place! (made the same mistake myself as a newbie) :lol: Varmint rifles aren't designed to be shot off the shoulder, they're designed to be shot off some sort of rest. Mind you it didn't hinder me at all as I could handle the weight no dramas at all (young fit and healthy then) and would often carry a rifle/shotgun at any one time and still do on occasion.

My Howa 204 weighs 4.1kg with scope etc, so not overly heavy but not my idea of a carry round rifle for shooting off the shoulder, perfect for smacking varmints but. My lightest rifle Sako L461Ai 222 weighs 3.1kg with scope etc. Actually those weights don't include the bolt, so say another 200 -300g or there about to those weights.

All I can say is they are all light compared to humping the M60! - that thing weighed around 11kg plus belts of ammo, carry that 20k's and you know your alive :lol:

LOL a friend of mine said the advantage of carrying the big gun was that you didnt have to dig the dunnies when you setup camp at night .... But s**t, carrying all that really would let you know your alive.
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Oct 2014, 5:49 am

Yes not the most pleasant thing to cart around but it sure was fun :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Timb0 » 21 Oct 2014, 6:33 am

Westy wrote:Really off American ( supposed ) made rifles at present. have bought 2 Remington's this year both were pieces of s**t, poorly made and 1 of them only lasted 5 weeks in my safe and the other has had a trigger replaced ,the stock replaced and a lot of hours spent on it to make it shoot and it's not yet a year old.

What might they have been Westy ?
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 21 Oct 2014, 7:13 am

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
a Rem 700 in 300 AAC keep this rifle but had to change the trigger ,stock and magazine floor plate. To Remington's credit they came up with the trigger and the stock and I added a Wild dog Magazine well and magazine's it now shoots like stink but it has been a effort.....

The second was a rifle that I'd wanted since a teenager a Remington 572 Field Master Pump in.22,this was the longest wait for the most disappointing rifle I've ever owned and I have owned a lot through the years!!!! Between bits falling off it and it only shoot 3" @ 50m it could of been mistaken for a Sterling not a $1000 plus gun, we tried a lot of different ammo and other things to get this monster to work in the end I flicked it as a trade on a Leopold Mark 4 8.5-25 scope for one of the Super varmints!!!
Yep I really had a soft spot for Remington's since my Sunday school teacher was the head rep in Oz for them way back in the Boustead days and he taught us guys to shoot and handed out a lot of freebies, but things Ain't what they used to be I guess
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 21 Oct 2014, 7:44 am

Westy wrote:^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
a Rem 700 in 300 AAC keep this rifle but had to change the trigger ,stock and magazine floor plate. To Remington's credit they came up with the trigger and the stock and I added a Wild dog Magazine well and magazine's it now shoots like stink but it has been a effort.....

The second was a rifle that I'd wanted since a teenager a Remington 572 Field Master Pump in.22,this was the longest wait for the most disappointing rifle I've ever owned and I have owned a lot through the years!!!! Between bits falling off it and it only shoot 3" @ 50m it could of been mistaken for a Sterling not a $1000 plus gun, we tried a lot of different ammo and other things to get this monster to work in the end I flicked it as a trade on a Leopold Mark 4 8.5-25 scope for one of the Super varmints!!!
Yep I really had a soft spot for Remington's since my Sunday school teacher was the head rep in Oz for them way back in the Boustead days and he taught us guys to shoot and handed out a lot of freebies, but things Ain't what they used to be I guess

That's the part that upsets most I reckon, they used to be excellent mass produced rifles once upon a time, sadly as you point out its now a game of "Remington Roulet" as to whether you get one that shoots well or not. I remember a fella who bought a brand new one and his first outing at the range and the bloody thing wouldn't fire a round or eject it! needless to say he was mighty pissed about it.

There is no way known I would bother buying a new Rem, older one's not a prob.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Wes » 21 Oct 2014, 1:27 pm

MeccaOz wrote:LOL a friend of mine said the advantage of carrying the big gun was that you didnt have to dig the dunnies when you setup camp at night .... But s**t, carrying all that really would let you know your alive.

Tell him he might have the strength left to do it at the end of the day if he wasn't lugging around a heavy pipe all day :D
Wes
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by bigrich » 04 Dec 2017, 8:08 pm

i see a lot of comments on rifle weight with this subject. from my own perspective light weight is good for a hike, but more weight is good for recoil and i find a weighty rifle is a bit steadier to aim. my own all rounder is a mod 70 winchester in 6.5x55. not heavy for me with a good sling. for my own uses i think this is spot-on .some of our grandfathers climbed mountains in new guinea with full wood 303 and brens. then again some peoples grandads woulda been hiking with k98's and mg42's in europe. i'm thinking my preference for a lightweight hunter would be a tikka t3 in 243. but a mod 70 featherweight does look nice. i think if i lived further north or west with the possibillity of buff or bull camels a 30-06 would be my go to in a mod 70
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Post by marksman » 04 Dec 2017, 8:47 pm

an old brno 30-06
because, I like them and they work
I dont care about the weight I eat weetbix for breaky :drinks:
and if Oldbloke is listening I have a bag of cement :lol: :lol:
I dont need 10 mags I'm a good shot :allegedly:
“If you do not read the newspapers you are uninformed. If you do read the newspapers you are misinformed”. Mark Twain
marksman
Colonel
Colonel

Victoria

Post by fxol » 04 Dec 2017, 9:32 pm

Steyr Scout Ranger, 308.

2 x 10 shot mags, built in bipod, adj cheekpiece and butt, light and accurate.
fxol
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 04 Dec 2017, 9:42 pm

A freaking Blunderbuss. Shoot shot, slugs, pebbles, forks... I mean, really, this needs no explanation!
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey