Best all round hunting rifle for Australia

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Best all round hunting rifle for Australia

Post by mchughcb » 26 Dec 2021, 10:11 pm

Lawyer Daggett wrote:I have hunted with single shots, bolt actions, pump actions, double rifles, double-barreled shotguns and combination guns, and semi-automatics over fifty plus years of active involvement in our sport ( I started aged 9 and am now 62). I currently own two combination guns. A .222/12 CZ, a .12/308 Merkel and have a .223/12 Merkel barrel on order. The low magnification 1-4 type scope with an electronic dot has revolutionised this type of firearm as a hunting gun, particularly if you hunt in two scenarios- fox- up close, with the possibility of a longer shot- say to 100-200 M, and on pig- the .308 being ideal for a stationary pig and the 12 for short-range fast-moving shots. I would argue that a combo with two barrels- 222 or .223 / 12 and a second in 12 or 20 gauge in a larger chambering, would, unless you are shooting game at ranges well beyond which they are normally taken, a near-perfect outfit.

I got a combo 7x57R 12G and a 7x65R 12G drilling.

The 7mm are good compromise for recoil vs range vs hitting power. Both have low powered scopes and aimpoint red dots. I've shot bucket loads of everything from rabbits to sambar. 1-4 is no slouch dropping goats and pigs well past 200m.
mchughcb
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

Victoria

Post by northdude » 27 Dec 2021, 7:37 am

when I lived there I just used a m96 sporter. seemed to do the job..
22 hornets and most things 6.5
northdude
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New Zealand

Post by bigrich » 27 Dec 2021, 7:51 am

if i had to hunt all around with one rifle , my 7-08 with 150 bt's would do it . with shot placement and 95gn partitions my 243 could probably do it . but for peace of mind and getting energy right out there , it'd have to be my 30-06 with 165gn accubonds or partitions .

:roll: decisions , decisions :lol: truth of the matter is different reigions in the country need different calibers for game and enviroment . a bag of golf clubs for different shots is the best analogy . mind you, those guys with combination guns have versatility :D 7x57 and 12ga covers a lot of uses :thumbsup:
bigrich
Brigadier
Brigadier

Queensland

Previous

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey