Shot placement in the chest

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Shot placement in the chest

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Oct 2014, 7:14 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:With aerial culling the target is the heart/lungs, the NSW FAAST training and reference manual says heart/lung shots are preferred with headshots only in ideal situations.

It says neck shots and spinal shots are undesirable because they can result in a prolonged death, page 75 Part II.

If you get the heart and lungs they will never take another breath or another heartbeat, death is almost instant.

Considering 99.9% of us won't ever do aerial culling I think we can ignore that bit of advice! :lol:

I'll stick with what I know works best for me, mind you I do heart/lung type shots, head shots, neck shots, chest shots and all of em are effective when done right, just use whatever you feel comfortable doing and know works for you.

It ain't rocket science and you don't need a manual to work it out! :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 23 Oct 2014, 8:23 pm

Not to many heart shots here!!!!!! Tell me what you think????

http://youtu.be/sx66ys4JG5o

Man I love this Clip
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Oct 2014, 5:35 am

Yep you'd be an awesome shot to do heat/lung shots with any consistency from a helicopter at small moving targets like pigs, those manuals always crack me up, great in theory, not so much in reality.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Blackened » 24 Oct 2014, 9:59 am

veep wrote:If it's cool to do so, mods could add that to the download shooting targets topic.

I'm sure lots would appreciate it, and it wouldn't get overlooked there.

Done.
Blackened

New South Wales

Post by Baronvonrort » 30 Oct 2014, 4:18 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Considering 99.9% of us won't ever do aerial culling I think we can ignore that bit of advice! :lol:

I'll stick with what I know works best for me, mind you I do heart/lung type shots, head shots, neck shots, chest shots and all of em are effective when done right, just use whatever you feel comfortable doing and know works for you.

It ain't rocket science and you don't need a manual to work it out! :lol:

The Farmers assist manual from the SSAA only has head and heart shots, there are no manuals that say spine shots are ok, the antis whinge about spinal shots which take much longer to kill.

Old video of aerial culling in QLD, going by the pump action 223 i would say he is only Cat B, he should not have shot the pig in the water, i suppose you don't need a manual to say rotting carcasses left in the water are not a good thing, no chance of picking them up in a R22.

Under the new rules in QLD this guy could probably get Cat D.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82826103
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 30 Oct 2014, 4:47 pm

The shooter in that video is a good shot , got his lead worked out well. The pilot on the other hand was a bit of a cowboy .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2014, 5:35 pm

Old video of aerial culling in QLD, going by the pump action 223. I'm a little surprised. I have been under the impression that a 223 was under gunned for pigs?

Wonder what the load was?

I have 223 but never considered using it on pigs. In the past I have always used much bigger stuff.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Jack V » 30 Oct 2014, 5:44 pm

I'm not so sure it is a 223 , Seems to a have a bit of recoil and the dust cloud it throws up seems more than a 223 usually does , more like a 243 dose . Hard to tell really but it seems to have more knock down than any 223 I ever used . Maybe it's the good shooting doing the job .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 30 Oct 2014, 6:03 pm

R U Guys on Drugs???? Obviously you have never handled a Semi Auto in your lives he's walking it in in a few of those shots????? If you watch the last boar he gets a clean threw and threw twice???? The level of dribble here amazes me sometimes!! I shoot pigs regularly with a 223 -70Grn speer 24grns of 2208H and a CCI primer and no one gets out alive!!!!! Yep even the big boys and shot placement is critical!!!!!!! My moneys on a 30 Cal and I'm guessing 300AAC by the length of the cases Where did you ever get the idea it was a remmington, didn't see a warranty card on the chopper floor did anyone else???? :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 30 Oct 2014, 6:34 pm

Thats why I asked the question. 223 seemed a bit of a stretch.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 31 Oct 2014, 12:44 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Thats why I asked the question. 223 seemed a bit of a stretch.

The video Westy posted and the one i posted both are using .223 rem.

The range would be less than 150 yards, the pigs appear to be bigger in the Aussie video which meant some had to be double tapped and i think there was one near the end which was shot multiple times before it fell, a little cloud appeared just above the shoulder on a couple of shots so perhaps the projectile wasn't suitable,that said a .223 works well on smaller-medium sized pigs at closer ranges.

The shorter barrel on the AR15 clone probably loses some velocity compared to the pump action remington which might not help.

The R22/R44 helicopters are not allowed to be used for government aerial culling in Australia due to their piston engines, the rules state a turbine engine must be used so the R66 would be ok.
We must also use 7.62 and double tap everything, typical of the government to take something that could be cheap and make it more expensive due to excessive regulations.

I prefer to use a .243 for pigs, a GAP-10 chambered in .243 would be great, a friend in the USA has a GAP-10 in .308 it shoots 0.25 MOA with a 20 inch barrel.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 31 Oct 2014, 1:19 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:I prefer to use a .243 for pigs

.243 with 95gr bullets.

One of my fav rounds.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Oct 2014, 1:43 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:I prefer to use a .243 for pigs, a GAP-10 chambered in .243 would be great, a friend in the USA has a GAP-10 in .308 it shoots 0.25 MOA with a 20 inch barrel.

Tell em the price son! FMD $3k plus - a lot of $$ just to shoot a few pigs etc. (nice rifle but)

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision ... p-10-.html
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Baronvonrort » 31 Oct 2014, 2:05 pm

It's still cheaper than any new Cat D in Australia, far more accurate as well, most production Cat D are only good for 1 MOA.

There is about a 10 month wait for delivery, i suspect that might be because Bartlein barels have a long wait due to backlog of orders.
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by mahna » 31 Oct 2014, 2:21 pm

I guess there is probably a "Cat D tax" on them, right?

One more bit pricing people out of it.
.270 Savage Axis XP
Weaver 40/44 3-10x44
mahna
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Oct 2014, 2:39 pm

Baronvonrort wrote:It's still cheaper than any new Cat D in Australia, far more accurate as well, most production Cat D are only good for 1 MOA.

There is about a 10 month wait for delivery, i suspect that might be because Bartlein barels have a long wait due to backlog of orders.

Mate they are pigs not little black dots on a target! :lol: so long as it goes bang it will be good enough for pigs. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 31 Oct 2014, 8:24 pm

MAN I MISS THE GOOD OLD DAY WHERE YOU GOT A SKS FOR UNDER A 100 BUCKS AND A 1000 ROUNDS FOR ANOTHER 100 BUCKS AND AWAY YOU WENT OR A SLR FOR UNDER A 1000 BUCKS AND A 1000 ROUND BOX OF 308 FROM THE TARAGINDI GUNSHOP AND PRECIDED TO BANG AWAY ALL DAY!!!! 10 f***ing MONTHS WE COULDN'T WAIT 10 f***ing MINUTES BACK THEN,NO f***ing PTA'S AND INTO THE BOOT THEY WENT AND OUT FOR A SHOOT.NOW THOSE WERE THE DAYS!!!AND I'M AS SURE AS s**t THATS NO 223 HE BANGING AWAY WITH IMHO!!!!!! MY MONEYS ON A 308
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 31 Oct 2014, 8:47 pm

I liked the mini 14 myself :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 01 Nov 2014, 6:36 am

You musta been a rich Bastard to be able to afford one of those they were like $300-00!!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Nov 2014, 7:50 am

And worth every cent! :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by agentzero » 01 Nov 2014, 11:11 am

bigfellascott wrote:Mate they are pigs not little black dots on a target! :lol: so long as it goes bang it will be good enough for pigs. :lol:

What about hunting teacup pigs?

See! You didn't think about that!
agentzero
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Tasmania

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey