Fox Whistles

Varminting and vertebrate pest control. Small game, hunting feral goats, foxes, dogs, cats, rabbits etc.

Fox Whistles

Post by Westy » 04 Nov 2014, 9:32 pm

Hey Scott you seem to bang on pretty well on the foxes is there something your using to lure them in and can you share your secret ,I 'm still using my tin whistle and it works A.O.K but do you have any pointers for newbies here????? :) :P ;)
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: Fox Whistles

Post by North East » 04 Nov 2014, 9:42 pm

Probably called .204 Ruger….that caliber rocks.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Nov 2014, 9:53 pm

Shhhh, sounds like westy needs a few tips but doesnt want to admit it. ;)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by North East » 04 Nov 2014, 10:11 pm

.204 Ruger is the speed machine. If you want close to or above 4000' per/sec on small game then this is it. Forget a .223, the .204's are way more fun.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Nov 2014, 10:24 pm

I use all sorts of whistles, callers etc Westy - I have a few diff Tenterfield Whistles I use, Scotch Predator Caller, a Fox Pro Caller, Styrofoam (rub that on the window/mirror , wet it with some spit a rub away madly) they seem to respond to that one well.

Keep the wind in your face is also important when whistling - although every now and again one proves ya wrong and sneaks up behind ya :lol: had one a while ago that came right up next to me :lol: . I usually stay in one spot for a good 20mins upto 30mins at times, then if nothing shows I move on to the next spot and try again.

Foxes love gullies and creek lines, bracken ferns they love sleeping in so pay attention to those, they love fruit too so if you have any blackberries and they are in season and ripe give them a good going over too as the little buggers love em - I had 6 or 8 pile out of one mountain side that was covered in blackberries last year :lol: :lol: I've never seen anything like it before in my life, just like a rabbit warren only with foxes :shock: the time of day doesn't seem to matter greatly, I've called em in at all times of the day, if they are there and hungry or inquisitive they will come.

When I use the Fox Pro I use all sorts of diff sounds, I try one and if nothing shows I try another, I vary the volume too, I also mix up the Tenterfields with the Fox Pro too (I start out with the Tenterfield at a high volume then switch the caller on.

The Scotch predator caller I use like a 13yr old whos just discovered his ol fella, I go flat out on that one :lol: seems to get their attention well for the most part.

I was out last week testing a whistle I made for a mate and it worked fine I called 2 in but they wouldn't come any closer than a 100m or so so I switched over to the Styro and they responded well to that, I also tried the scotch Predator caller and they didn't come in using that.

So as you can see I use a large variety of diff things to get em coming in, one thing might not interest em but another might hence the variety. I use all those things when I'm spotlighting too.

Thats about all I can think of right now, if I remember anything else I'll add it later.

Cheers
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 6:44 am

Oldbloke wrote:Shhhh, sounds like westy needs a few tips but doesnt want to admit it. ;)

Ohhh Wank Wank oldfella like we all don't need some advice at times!!!Here's some for you f*** Off!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Last edited by Westy on 05 Nov 2014, 6:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 6:49 am

Thanx Scott never heard of the Styrofoam rub on glass before As I say I use the tin whistle but lately we've been getting no love from it might give a few of the others a crack

Thanx Westy
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 6:52 am

North East wrote:.204 Ruger is the speed machine. If you want close to or above 4000' per/sec on small game then this is it. Forget a .223, the .204's are way more fun.

I did a comparison on the ADI charts last night and there's not a hell of a lot of difference between a 223 with 40grn pills and the 204 with 40 grn'ers well not enough for me to change right at the moment!!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :geek:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 7:13 am

From memory my 39's are travelling around 3800fps and the 26's are around 4200-4300fps - to be honest I couldn't give a rats arse how fast they go so long as they are accurate, that is the important part as its not much bloody good if a bullet keeps missing is it. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 7:16 am

bigfellascott wrote:From memory my 39's are travelling around 3800fps and the 26's are around 4200-4300fps - to be honest I couldn't give a rats arse how fast they go so long as they are accurate, that is the important part as its not much bloody good if a bullet keeps missing is it. :lol:

Your right on the money there Scott :P :) :P
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 7:17 am

Westy wrote:Thanx Scott never heard of the Styrofoam rub on glass before As I say I use the tin whistle but lately we've been getting no love from it might give a few of the others a crack

Thanx Westy

The styrofoam works well, sounds real squeaky which I guess is supposed to replicate a mouse - not that I've ever heard a mouse make any noise before :lol: either way the foxes respond to noise and movement so if you're whistling a decoy of some sort can come in handy to distract them from looking at you as you use the whistles etc, gives you those few seconds to line them up and plug em.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 7:21 am

bigfellascott wrote:
Westy wrote:Thanx Scott never heard of the Styrofoam rub on glass before As I say I use the tin whistle but lately we've been getting no love from it might give a few of the others a crack

Thanx Westy

The styrofoam works well, sounds real squeaky which I guess is supposed to replicate a mouse - not that I've ever heard a mouse make any noise before :lol: either way the foxes respond to noise and movement so if you're whistling a decoy of some sort can come in handy to distract them from looking at you as you use the whistles etc, gives you those few seconds to line them up and plug em.

Well I must say it seems to be working for you old son!!!!! :lol: :D :lol: cutting up some as we type LOL
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 7:21 am

What's the whistle you are using Westy, one of those button whistles? make a Tenterfield, more volume and very effective.

How to make a Tenterfield Whistle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uELBprCGGI

http://huntandshoot.com.au/audio-video/ ... x-whistle/

Here's a Tenterfield Whistle my mate Maxy made using a Jam Tin Lid
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TEz7XK2htE8

How to use a Tenterfield
http://huntandshoot.com.au/audio-video/ ... x-whistle/
Last edited by bigfellascott on 05 Nov 2014, 7:44 am, edited 2 times in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 7:24 am

your right that Styrofoam makes a bloody awful noise !!!LOL
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 7:33 am

Thanx will go down the shed after work today and make a few!!!Thanx Scott
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 7:49 am

Westy wrote:your right that Styrofoam makes a bloody awful noise !!!LOL

Sort of a squeaky noise hey? I used it the other day in conjunction with the Tenterfields and Scotch Predator Caller, I got the fox to come in using the Predator Caller, it came within about 100m or so then stopped and wouldn't budge even tried the Tenterfield and still was hesitant, then used the styrofoam and it started to run in then, got to with 30m or so.

Foxes are funny buggers, some will come running in no matter what you use, others will be more weary (older wiser ones usually) they tend to want to circle round you testing the wind, the young ones are dead easy as they haven't learn't lifes lessons as yet and often never do! :D

Have fun making ya whistle mate, have a fiddle with the gap in the tin as that will change the pitch,
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 7:56 am

Oh yeah another thing to listen out for when fox whistling is the birds - often you will hear birds going off their tit when you've been whistling for a few seconds/mins that can often be a sign a fox is about as birds will carry on to warn other birds that danger is about. I love hearing or seeing birds dive bombing etc I instantly know a fox is about.

That's what gave that fox I shot the other week away, I heard the bird squawking and carrying on then saw em dive bombing etc then soon after ol foxy came screaming into view - then I was out of the ute as quick as a flash with the 222 Howski to put a hole in it. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by harlow » 05 Nov 2014, 8:13 am

bigfellascott wrote:I use all sorts of whistles, callers etc

Someone posted a picture a while back with 10 (however many) different ones but I couldn't find it.

Was that you?
Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 Rem
Savage Model 25 LVT .17HMR
harlow
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by harlow » 05 Nov 2014, 8:14 am

Nevermind, found it. It was on_one_wheels whistles.

Hunting foxes
Savage 25 Lightweight Varminter .223 Rem
Savage Model 25 LVT .17HMR
harlow
Private
Private

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 8:28 am

Yeah got most of those too. In all honesty just about anything can be used to attract them, anything that makes a squeaky type noise will usually work, kids squeaky toys work well too.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusC » 05 Nov 2014, 10:15 am

You can do worse than having the smell of a splattered rabbit around as well ;)
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 11:25 am

AusC wrote:You can do worse than having the smell of a splattered rabbit around as well ;)

Haven't noticed them helping me - we had around 20 splattered all round us the other day and not a single fox seen. :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by AusC » 05 Nov 2014, 1:17 pm

Not saying it's a sure fire thing.

I've had a few times busting bunnies looking down from a hillside where I'd be tough to spot to anything on the ground, and had foxes dart across to pick up a rabbit body.

No whistling, just the rabbits themselves drawing them in.

Just an observation anyway.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 4:28 pm

AusC wrote:Not saying it's a sure fire thing.

I've had a few times busting bunnies looking down from a hillside where I'd be tough to spot to anything on the ground, and had foxes dart across to pick up a rabbit body.

No whistling, just the rabbits themselves drawing them in.

Just an observation anyway.

That reminds me of a trip where I was shooting some bunnies, I'd no sooner knocked one over and a fox came racing out from some blackberries and tried to grab it. :lol: They are opportunists alright.

I'd say a fair few of those bunnies my mate and I shot the other day would have gone that night.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 5:19 pm

So Scott do you carry a mirror around with you to rub the Styrofoam on or do you just use the windscreen????
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 5:46 pm

Westy wrote:So Scott do you carry a mirror around with you to rub the Styrofoam on or do you just use the windscreen????

I mainly use it when in the Vehicle Westy, but a glass bottle works fine too if your away from the vehicle.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 5:47 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Westy wrote:So Scott do you carry a mirror around with you to rub the Styrofoam on or do you just use the windscreen????

I mainly use it when in the Vehicle Westy, but a glass bottle works fine too if your away from the vehicle.

Cool
Thanx Scott ;) :oops: ;)
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 05 Nov 2014, 5:51 pm

I forgot to mention Westy use the broken part of the styrofoam (hope that makes sense?) :lol: when rubbing it, it seems to make a better sound from my experience (real squeaky)
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 05 Nov 2014, 6:45 pm

bigfellascott wrote:I forgot to mention Westy use the broken part of the styrofoam (hope that makes sense?) :lol: when rubbing it, it seems to make a better sound from my experience (real squeaky)

Yer Scott worked that one out today can't stop it like the 13 yr old with the scotch thingo!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 05 Nov 2014, 7:15 pm

Thanks Scott. Some of that is new to me and Im sure plenty of other readers.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Varminting and vertebrate pest control