Bow Hunting

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Bow Hunting

Post by Timb0 » 08 Nov 2014, 8:04 am

When I was a teenager I put my savings into a Bear compound bow. I shot a few hay bails, shot a hole in my paddock basher, made a few flaming arrows and even managed to get a few bunnies, but it pretty much ended there. Guns seemed easier to use and being an impatient teen the bow became more of a novelty.

I have been thinking about bow hunting again. Bows seem to have come along way since I bought the bear 20years ago and I think it would be quiet an interesting but rewarding challenge to take up.

Visiting an archery store 2 things dawned on me, I know sweet FA about bows and they are quite an expensive investment to know FA about!

I was leaning towards getting one of the Matthews bows, but then a bloke I work with from the states recommended I get a Bowtech, Then the guy in the shop told me they are crap and I should look at a Bear ( he didn't sell Bowtech bows :roll: ).

I take it Bows would be like guns - you get what you pay for and most or the big popular names aren't really that bad? They might have different features for different people and situations? Maybe a few quirks in there?

So I'm open to suggestions
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Re: Bow Hunting

Post by Westy » 08 Nov 2014, 8:49 am

Hi Timbo you could start by doing a little recon on what you like and don't like.

As you stated most bows are very expensive and you normally only get what you pay for!!! I see you live in Queensland are you in Brisbane??? IMHO you should steer away from Bowtect/Blowtech not because there a bad bow but getting parts is a real pain in the ass here in Oz.

Your on the right track with a Mathews or the other good choice is a Hoyt, I'm a huge fan of both and each has it's advantages and disadvantages.Hoyt make the better bows for comp shooting by far and their hunting bows are also second to none where the Mathews hunting bows a re good strong a little heavy but robust bows and shoot all so sweet.

I see your in Queensland the 2 best shops I would recommend are Eagle archery and ask for James or Abbey Archery and ask for Michael AKA Welky for short and tell them Westy sent you or you might get the luke warm reception most people get at Archery stores when they just roll up. LOL

They get a lot of d**kheads in there and after a while they seem to give up caring about customer service, I mean how many times a day can you hear I'm off to find and shoot a Tasmanian Tiger????LOL If you purely want a hunting bow look at a Mathews Heli-m or a Hoyt Matrix both very capable bows for use up to Red Deer, Scrub bulls and even Buff. Yer their a little bit more expensive but you will always get your coin back when and if you sell it.

Also try getting onto the Australian Bowhunting forum and ask a lot of Questions but like all forums only listen to the guys with the most posts next to their names and they will set you straight, you'll know who's who in a matter of day/weeks!!

Most importantly don't rush out and buy the first Bow you see take your time as unlike rifles you can't learn to live with them either they fit you or they don't and the wrong bow will s**t you to tears and you'll give up !!!

As for Bear bows again some of them are not to bad and priced the same way but in the last few years the composite limbs have been a problem and have been delaminating ,many will say it was just a few but it seems everyone who has had one I know has had issues ,so just a word of warning
hope this helps and P.m Me anytime
Westy
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Aussier » 10 Nov 2014, 1:38 pm

Timb0 wrote:Guns seemed easier to use and being an impatient teen the bow became more of a novelty.

I won't speak for anyone else but I can say I'm to slow and noisy to have any chance of getting with in bow range of anything, that's why I'll take a rifle :lol:
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Westy » 10 Nov 2014, 4:58 pm

This I just had to share here!!!!!

http://youtu.be/wrWYuh_s1RQ
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Timb0 » 11 Nov 2014, 10:54 am

Thanks Westy,
I am based north of bris and have been to Eagle Archery. They weren't too bad.
I was doing a lot of road trips to Gladstone for a while and used to drop into Sioux Archery north of Gympie. They re-strung my old bow ( yes I still have it) and i bought a sight for it. They said they couldn't put a release aid loop on it for some reason. I might give my old bow a go for a while until I know whats what. Its quite large and i'm a bit annoyed about not being able to use a release aid. At Eagle Archery they let me shoot some there. i was quite surprised at the accuracy even from my shooting, I would have trouble doing that with my old one.

That clip looks like they have one of those new LED nocks, It really stands out!
Marlin XT22 .22lr, Ruger M77/22 .22wmr, Rem 7615 .223, Ruger M77 .223, Weatherby MarkV .243, Rem 700 VLS .243, Kimber Montana .270, Weatherby MarkV .270Wby mag, Rem 700 .308, Khan ATac 12ga.
Timb0
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Kipper » 12 Nov 2014, 9:53 am

Aussier wrote:I won't speak for anyone else but I can say I'm to slow and noisy to have any chance of getting with in bow range of anything, that's why I'll take a rifle :lol:

That's two of us.

I'm relying on distance, not stealth :lol:
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Westy » 13 Nov 2014, 7:15 pm

Timb0 wrote:Thanks Westy,
I am based north of bris and have been to Eagle Archery. They weren't too bad.
I was doing a lot of road trips to Gladstone for a while and used to drop into Sioux Archery north of Gympie. They re-strung my old bow ( yes I still have it) and i bought a sight for it. They said they couldn't put a release aid loop on it for some reason. I might give my old bow a go for a while until I know whats what. Its quite large and i'm a bit annoyed about not being able to use a release aid. At Eagle Archery they let me shoot some there. i was quite surprised at the accuracy even from my shooting, I would have trouble doing that with my old one.

That clip looks like they have one of those new LED nocks, It really stands out!

Yep that's a lume nock on that there arrow , sure is fun shooting those compounds in the tunnel at Eagle!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 13 Nov 2014, 7:26 pm

Westy wrote:This I just had to share here!!!!!

bloody hell mate, i've seen vids of rifle shot stags that took longer to fall than that, let's just say that broadhead hit the right spot :lol:

I like the red light, is that something like an accunock unit?

Bow hunting is not something i've done yet. i did attend a presentation by the guys from abbey archery in castle hill here in sdney, bloody interesting and a good way to keep the interest alive for guys who've shot it all with rifles

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Bennybigbores » 13 Nov 2014, 7:37 pm

I only 12 months ago purchased a compound bow, gear, upgrades etc absolutely loved it in the backyard with a 50m range drawn up in 10m steps, kept me sane whilst 2nd new born at home and didn't venture to far from home, but now I'm out at it again I can easily say I have not once picked my bow up in preference to my rifle, especially for hunting. Paper punching a different story, I could see it being a more rewarding style of hunting if I persevered that and I'm to lazy i'd say more to the point!
Howa axiom varmint .243
C.Gustav 6.5x55 (sporterised)
Savage mkII T.hole varmint 17hmr
Chiappa lever action 12g
Baikal S.Shot .308
Mossberg plinkster .22
Norinco lever .22
E.T.C
Bennybigbores
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 13 Nov 2014, 7:38 pm

Chronos wrote:
Westy wrote:This I just had to share here!!!!!

bloody hell mate, i've seen vids of rifle shot stags that took longer to fall than that, let's just say that broadhead hit the right spot :lol:

I like the red light, is that something like an accunock unit?

Bow hunting is not something i've done yet. i did attend a presentation by the guys from abbey archery in castle hill here in sdney, bloody interesting and a good way to keep the interest alive for guys who've shot it all with rifles

Chronos

Great fun Chronos but you can feel alittle exposed to animal attacks (Boars Mostly) at times. have hunted with both the bow and rifle and as I get older I'm leaning toward the rifle more!!! Although in this flick you can see that there still very effective at close range and the older I get the slower I seem to run!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Best trick is to stay dead still after making the shot and normally they don't know what hit them!!!Ouchhhhhh :x :) ;)
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Chronos » 13 Nov 2014, 7:47 pm

LOL, i heard a mate tell a story of shooting a scrub bull in the NT, put a second arrow in it and just "became" the tree he was standing against while the bull searched for him, i think a nervous wait was the price he had to pay :lol:

my nephew is doing a fair bit of 3D and hunting with the bow, yet to get him motivated for a bit of rifle shooting :(

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 13 Nov 2014, 9:50 pm

I must say I was into it big time but I'm pursuing metal Silhouette at present!!! Here's what the shed used to look like!!! I just went through the photos and there were over 40 bows in the last 5 years!!!Yep I've got problems alright!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Now I've just got the 1
Attachments
more bows.jpg
more bows.jpg (168.94 KiB) Viewed 3707 times
bows 2.jpg
bows 2.jpg (106.86 KiB) Viewed 3707 times
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by roob » 15 Nov 2014, 10:40 am

Doesn't know what hit it that elk!
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales