Weekend Grand Slam

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Weekend Grand Slam

Post by Westy » 24 Nov 2014, 7:39 am

Well last Wednesday Night got phone call from Blakey to let me know we were going to pick up a Molasses pump from Whyalla feed lot on Thursday at Yelarbon and could we drop off a the uncles place for a few days for a spot of shooting?

I guess he had to ask me to come along :lol: :D :lol: anyway we hit the Grand Slam after doing the right thing we settled down to some real hunting. In total 4 William Goats ,2 nice fallow does for meat deer ,3 hogs 2 good ones 70kg plus 10 rabbits give or take a few and on the way out we hit a fox with the Hilux if that counts?

Best hunting trip in ages and I mean bloody years. We saw over 50 deer but left them for next time even saw a huge fallow stag on his own and he's got 12' of velvet already in late November going to be huge had him in the sight 3 times at 50 meters over a period of 30 min but we left him till the rut as he's going to be a cracker!!!!!

There feeding cattle at present so everything is traveling miles to feed at night and that's were the hogs are swarming in big numbers!!!! the temps were way up out there though 40 on Thursday dropped down to a barmy 38 on Friday with 1/2' of rain and then came Saturday36 @ 12pm at 5.30pm it was 40 and by 7pm it was 43 ,Blakey ended up with heat stroke and so Saturday night was a bust ,I had no one to hold the light and so I managed one hog and 1 deer on my own before hitting the hay. I Saw some awesome hogs 3 well over 100kg but they don't get big because their stupid... Already planning on heading up next week after my birthday for 4 nights might take a Shotgun with ssg's for the feed lot..

Anyway here's some of the pics of the goats and the others will be coming as soon as Blakey e-mails them to me from the phone!!!!!!!

Cheers and good hunting Westy :) ;) :P
Last edited by Westy on 24 Nov 2014, 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Re: Weekend Grand Slam

Post by Westy » 24 Nov 2014, 7:43 am

P:S forgot the Cat that won the 17hmr lotto at the shearing shed!!!!!LOL well it's 2 cats now!!!!
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by cruze82 » 24 Nov 2014, 8:18 am

Dinner at your place will be good for the next couple weeks

I suppose this hunt makes up for the naked guy on the last one

Good work weary can't wait to see the pics
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Vati » 24 Nov 2014, 12:28 pm

Westy wrote:Anyway here's some of the pics of the goats and the others will be coming as soon as Blakey e-mails them to me from the phone!!!!!!!

No pictures showing?
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 24 Nov 2014, 1:12 pm

Westy wrote:Blakey ended up with heat stroke and so Saturday night was a bust

It's a real bastard heat stroke.

3 mates and I went on a camping/fishing trip years ago. I don't remember what the temperature was but it was hot, no shade on the water, and we were busting our asses paddling for about 4 hours. We all had a few beers on the trip too instead of water which was probably only making things worse as well.

When we finally got to the site I was cooked. Borderline headache, nausea and the like. Everyone started setting up and I said I needed half an hour break to cool down before doing any more work. Two mates were sympathetic as they were feeling the same way but one got a bit peeved saying I was slacking off when it came time to set up camp.

I took my rest anyway, after 10 minutes the other two joined me as they were feeling the same but peevy pushed on to show us all up. Sure enough the rest of us were in decent shape by that night with a rest and some water. Peevy was wrecked after continuing to work on in the heat without having a break. He wasn't back on his feet until about lunchtime the next day.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Westy » 24 Nov 2014, 2:43 pm

Goats out of the Shearing shed window!!!!! It was around 1430 Friday arvo and I was having one of those eye half open moments when I see something black moving across the :?: :?: :?: ?Lamb holding paddock near the dam about 700 M out watched for a while say 15 minutes and realise they are slowly moving away from me and picking up pace. I jump up and find the bino's scan the paddock to realize more are coming down from the dam a mob of 30 goats at least with no time to lose I wake up sleeping beauty and say "GOATS" 22-250 and 223 loaded were off and they now have 1.5 klicks head start.

As we start to walk in on them the heavens open up and were getting drenched first rain in 2 months and it coming from 1 dirty big grey clad above us. The great thing about this the goats decide to stop and shelter under some tree's Bad Bloody Move that one>>> :lol: :lol: :lol: Were following the creek down and I'm on the top of it while Steve is in the dry creek bed some 30" below me he creeps in for a closer look and climbs the bank to almost stick his head up a Goats ass :D ,he's like 1 m from the mob. He climbs back down and walks back a 120m next to me and asks which ones are you going to shoot like I wasn't going to say the Bloody Biggest ones!!!!! :) :lol: :D

The little 223 with 70 grain sierras fires first followed by the 22-250 with 55 gr hornadys White goat drops and never moves so onto the next black and white leading the charge he stands on his head at 200m and then grey beard who's 1/2 way between gets a 70 grner in the head for good measure!!!! 3 down and blakey's 2 ment there were still almost 30 still running for next months trip I have to say those 70 grn serrieas still amaze me how well they work on larger game like goats ,pigs and deer were they aren't great on smaller game as they just pass straight through but as the picks show very effective on Goats :D ;) :shock:
The red ring indicates the shearing shed
Attachments
004.JPG
004.JPG (437.52 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
Last edited by Westy on 24 Nov 2014, 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by VICHunter » 24 Nov 2014, 2:49 pm

Westy wrote:The great thing about this the goats decide to stop and shelter under some tree's

Rookie mistake :lol:
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 24 Nov 2014, 3:46 pm

more pics!!! :lol:
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Westy » 24 Nov 2014, 3:48 pm

Yer there coming!!!!!!
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 24 Nov 2014, 6:39 pm

Well done Westy, bloody near cleaned up 3 goats on the Mt Victoria pass this arvo :lol: I couldn't believe it, rounded one of the bends and heres these 3 goats feeding on the edge of the road, jammed the brakes on to avoid em, not sure how the semi went that was following not far behind, would have been touch and go so to speak :lol:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 24 Nov 2014, 7:01 pm

bigfellascott wrote:Well done Westy, bloody near cleaned up 3 goats on the Mt Victoria pass this arvo :lol: I couldn't believe it, rounded one of the bends and heres these 3 goats feeding on the edge of the road, jammed the brakes on to avoid em, not sure how the semi went that was following not far behind, would have been touch and go so to speak :lol:

Might be road kill curry tonight :lol: :D :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Ariat » 25 Nov 2014, 1:35 pm

That'll keep the freezer full for a while :D
Ariat
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by RealNick » 25 Nov 2014, 1:36 pm

Nice to just look out the window and have some game wandering buy :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 25 Nov 2014, 3:38 pm

RealNick wrote:Nice to just look out the window and have some game wandering buy :lol:

Doesn't always happen like that!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brisb » 26 Nov 2014, 9:57 am

I feel like I'm the only person here who doesn't know who Blakey is :oops:

:lol:
brisb
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Westy » 26 Nov 2014, 4:06 pm

brisb wrote:I feel like I'm the only person here who doesn't know who Blakey is :oops:

:lol:

Well that might be right????? :geek: :mrgreen: :ugeek:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey