Snake bit my waders

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Snake bit my waders

Post by veep » 01 Dec 2014, 10:21 am

I went fishing around Lake Eildon area yesterday and was wearing waders for the day.

You know snakes are about but don't often see them which I think makes people complacent. I realise now it did for me.

Was walking through a knee-high paddock of grass along the river when something impacted my waders. Startled me and I looked down to see a snake curling into the grass. You should have seen me run then!

No idea what kind of snake it was or if it was venomous. It would have been 2 feet maybe and black and yellow scales towards the bottom if that tells anything?

After checking it out I have 2 holes in my water. Blind luck that it got caught in the folds of the plastic and they're a big oversized for me.

Feeling lucky I'll tell you!
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Snake bit my waders

Post by Chronos » 01 Dec 2014, 1:10 pm

Lucky I'd say too. Glad you're ok mate.

I did hear of one bloke down your way that had a tiger snake lash out at him from the reeds in waist deep water. Bugger got its fangs stuck in his mesh vest.

That would put my off fishing for good.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Humir » 01 Dec 2014, 1:36 pm

Lucky break taking it on the waders mate.

Who know how bad it could have been.
Humir
Private
Private

Tasmania

Post by veep » 01 Dec 2014, 1:37 pm

Chronos wrote:That would put my off fishing for good.

Problem was I still had to get out of the field after the hit :lol:

The heart was pumping on the way out.
veep
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 01 Dec 2014, 2:55 pm

Yup. Waders are good snake protection. Had a brownie stuck on mine years back up in that area.

Glad you were ok. Probably a little tiger. Hard to say. Copperhead maybe but never seen then that dark in colour.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by 1290 » 01 Dec 2014, 3:06 pm

Dont worry about what type.... if it went for you theres a good chance it meant you toxic harm!!

At Eildon I've had a close encounter with a Brownie.... I didnt know I could fly until I almost stepped on it...

It could have been a tiger, Brown or Copperhead (also had an encounter with a copper east of Melbourne) Colors can vary for all, Brown can be light tan to almost Black...
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Grated » 01 Dec 2014, 3:24 pm

Good to hear it didn't go worse mate.
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Westy » 01 Dec 2014, 5:51 pm

Gwion wrote:Yup. Waders are good snake protection. Had a brownie stuck on mine years back up in that area.

Glad you were ok. Probably a little tiger. Hard to say. Copperhead maybe but never seen then that dark in colour.

I think I would have had a brownie in my waders!!!!Pure dumb luck and glad your o.k. My brother Ben was stung by a red belly black when we were kids what a huge ordeal that was, he lived to give me the s**ts the rest of my life :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by tom604 » 01 Dec 2014, 6:00 pm

buy a lotto ticket ;) i would of been kacking myself, glad your okay :)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 01 Dec 2014, 7:29 pm

Hows the sphincter mate, still puckered up! :lol: you were indeed very lucky, it could have been a lot worse, I should start wearing long pants when out shooting (I get around in shorts, t-shirt and thongs most of the bloody time). :oops:

mind you I don't go walking through long grass as such as I know what can be lurking around em, my biggest concern is when I'm around blackberry bushes.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Westy » 01 Dec 2014, 9:07 pm

What's in the blackberries MATE???

yowies???lol
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 01 Dec 2014, 10:14 pm

I caught a tiger in the back yard a few weeks ago and let him go down the local creek. Thats 3 ive cought now, all tigers. Lol. I must have encounterd 40 or so snakes over the yrs , yet to get bit. Touch wood. Just watch out for the hoop snakes on the hills, they will get you evary time. :lol:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 02 Dec 2014, 8:45 am

Definitely a good idea to wear waders even when it's warm enough not to need them in the water. It might be stinking hot and uncomfortable but it's better than being snake bit out in BFN by yourself. I'm a bit of a snake magnet, so i have had quite a few VERY close encounters with them.

While they are mostly harmless and more likely to bugger off than strike unless there is no other choice (possibly brownies being the exception; in Vic anyway), i'd rather be hot and bothered than inching my way back to mobile range over 3 hours while trying to stem the flow of venom in my system. Would kinda screw up the days fishing. Sneaking around water ways trying not to spook fish is not conducive to warning snakes of your approach.

I've told some blokes i wear waders every time i go fishing and they say i'm just soft; generally guys whose closest encounter with a snake has been from shot gun distance. Well, i'd rather be soft and alive than hard and dead!
Last edited by Gwion on 02 Dec 2014, 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by 1290 » 02 Dec 2014, 9:55 am

Oldbloke wrote:I caught a tiger in the back yard a few weeks ago and let him go down the local creek. Thats 3 ive cought now, all tigers. Lol. I must have encounterd 40 or so snakes over the yrs , yet to get bit. Touch wood. Just watch out for the hoop snakes on the hills, they will get you evary time. :lol:

Come on, Pantero mysticus, AKA Black Panther I'd believe....But 3 Tigers??!!
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 02 Dec 2014, 11:13 am

This is the s**t that makes me worry when I want to take the dog camping or fishing.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey