Night visions scopes and attachments

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Night visions scopes and attachments

Post by Bood » 01 Dec 2014, 7:10 pm

Hi anyone had any experience with Night Vision Scopes / Attachments?? :evil: :twisted: :evil:
RUGER 77/17 HMR :D
HOWA M1500 .223
MARLIN .22lr
Bood
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: NIGHT VISION

Post by brett1868 » 01 Dec 2014, 7:57 pm

Yes, currently using a Pulsar N770a on my 22LR http://www.pulsar-nv.com/products/digital-riflescopes/digisight-n770a/ and awaiting delivery of the Pulsar Apex XD50 Thermal Imaging Scope which is due either late this week or next week http://www.pulsar-nv.com/products/thermal-imaging-sights-apex/apex-xd50/.

Different technologies and vastly different price ranges, I have a dealer account for Pulsar which helps a little on costs. If you're looking at any of the Pulsar range let me know and I'll do my best to beat any prices you get quoted.
What are you intending to shoot? The choice of game will determine the best technology to use.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bood » 01 Dec 2014, 9:43 pm

Would be mounting it on.my .17hmr primarily for foxes and rabbits... I like the look of the Pulsar N770a...

How much would one set me back and can it does it replace my existing scope???

brett1868 wrote:Yes, currently using a Pulsar N770a on my 22LR http://www.pulsar-nv.com/products/digital-riflescopes/digisight-n770a/ and awaiting delivery of the Pulsar Apex XD50 Thermal Imaging Scope which is due either late this week or next week http://www.pulsar-nv.com/products/thermal-imaging-sights-apex/apex-xd50/.

Different technologies and vastly different price ranges, I have a dealer account for Pulsar which helps a little on costs. If you're looking at any of the Pulsar range let me know and I'll do my best to beat any prices you get quoted.
What are you intending to shoot? The choice of game will determine the best technology to use.
HOWA M1500 .223
MARLIN .22lr
Bood
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 01 Dec 2014, 10:05 pm

They have a rec retail of $2300 but do your own price checking as there's a few vendors that'll do it much cheaper. They are a full replacement scope and would be fine on the 17 HMR though the rifle will be a bit top heavy. I'd also recommend buying the external Lipo battery pack as they can chew through the AA's. I also have an extra IR illuminator to add some additional range. YouTube is your friend so check these out there before deciding if they fill your needs cause it's a lot of money compared to a plain old spotlight.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Bood » 01 Dec 2014, 10:12 pm

Any chance u could inbox me a pic of ur set up......
HOWA M1500 .223
MARLIN .22lr
Bood
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lyam » 03 Dec 2014, 3:12 pm

Bood wrote: :evil: :twisted: :evil:

You're either really pissed because you got a dud or have some devious ideas rolling around in your head for one :lol:
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 03 Dec 2014, 4:21 pm

Been too busy to get into the back of the safe to grab the 22. I'll get some pictures over the weekend as I need to reshuffle and make space for more field artillery arriving Friday. Might take the unit off and go stalk the neighbour's cat and post some video to YouTube so you can see the output for yourself before making any decisions.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by pmomd » 05 Dec 2014, 10:11 am

Bood wrote:Any chance u could inbox me a pic of ur set up......

Post 'em on the forum here for all to see :D
CZ 550 Varmint in .308 Winchester.
Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06 Springfield.
pmomd
Private
Private

Western Australia

Post by Bood » 05 Dec 2014, 5:14 pm

pmomd wrote:
Bood wrote:Any chance u could inbox me a pic of ur set up......

Post 'em on the forum here for all to see :D

AGREED!!
HOWA M1500 .223
MARLIN .22lr
Bood
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lyam » 08 Dec 2014, 8:58 pm

brett1868 wrote:Been too busy...

Flat out with the new TAC 50 :D
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Re: Night visions scopes and attachments

Post by Aussier » 11 Dec 2014, 7:53 pm

Bood wrote:Hi anyone had any experience with Night Vision Scopes / Attachments?? :evil: :twisted: :evil:

Get some tips from Pete on making one yourself ;)

Home Made Night Vision adapter
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by brett1868 » 11 Dec 2014, 8:00 pm

Lyam wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Been too busy...

Flat out with the new TAC 50 :D

Flat out with work and accelerated project deadlines and it's been too wet of a night to get out stalking the neighbour's cat for some footage. My thermal sight is taking the long way so may not arrive till the new year :(
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Kipper » 12 Dec 2014, 12:31 pm

brett1868 wrote:My thermal sight is taking the long way so may not arrive till the new year :(

Well that sucks.
Kipper
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by brett1868 » 12 Dec 2014, 11:41 pm

Kipper wrote:
brett1868 wrote:My thermal sight is taking the long way so may not arrive till the new year :(

Well that sucks.

Sure does but the good news is that the 1000 Barrett 416 cases I've been chasing should hit Australia on the 16/12 so I'll be very busy in the new year loading.

http://youtu.be/eVIFlLL0GNs

Not the greatest video but you'll at least get an idea. Bit hard to juggle the battery, scope and mini DVR whilst fiddling with the focus. Was reasonably dark outside tonight and you can see how well it can "See" in the dark. I only used the inbuilt IR lamp on the lowest setting so there's plenty of power left for the longer ranges. The picture through the viewfinder is much clearer and generally I do a better job focusing when I've got my glasses on.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 13 Dec 2014, 7:57 am

Bood wrote:Would be mounting it on my 17MHR primarily for foxes and rabbits... I like the look of the Pulsar N770a.

How much would one set me back and can it does it replace my existing scope?

The Pulsar N770a works on a CCD IR camera system so it can be used during the daytime without damage . Unlike normal generation intensifier tube type NV.

Is it a good replacement for a normal optical day scope? Not really.

Reducing the day time light input with a cardboard objective lens baffle with a 15 mm to 20 mm hole in it helps. It makes it capable of daytime shots and you can sight in during the day without worrying about damaging the internals but it's not as good as a normal scope during the day light. It does give the ability to extend it's use somewhat.

Another thing is these scopes were made in Russia and with all the sanctions going on I'm not sure how warranty might be affected. Maybe not at all I don't know.
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 13 Dec 2014, 10:08 am

Jack - Belarus is not part of Russia (though they are very close politically) or involved in the current country level sanctions imposed by the U.S for what's going on in Ukraine. It's a fairly large company with over 800 staff in 40 countries so support should not be a problem. The scopes are more then likely made in china anyway like most things but built to a reasonably high standard and not to a price.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by greenonion » 15 Dec 2014, 2:34 pm

Jack V wrote:Another thing is these scopes were made in Russia and with all the sanctions going on I'm not sure how warranty might be affected. Maybe not at all I don't know.

Should mailing something back and forth from there be an issue? That's all you'd be doing, no?

Surely they don't stop mail coming in and out of the country...
greenonion
Recruit
Recruit

Tasmania

Post by brett1868 » 15 Dec 2014, 4:11 pm

Guys...not made in Russia and Pulsar NV isn't a Russian company. They are imported and distributed in Australia by Extravision Pty Ltd in Queensland so there's very good local support, stock and repairs.
How's my posting?
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Jack V » 16 Dec 2014, 6:20 am

brett1868 wrote:Guys...not made in Russia and Pulsar NV isn't a Russian company. They are imported and distributed in Australia by Extravision Pty Ltd in Queensland so there's very good local support, stock and repairs.

Belarus may not technically be part of Russia but I can assure you that warranty ends up being handled by people in Belarus unless some local company takes on the responsibility for their own sales which is possible . Most of Yukon Optics come out of factories in Belarus . That is not to say anything bad .

Check with the local supplier first . Posting back and forth to Belarus should not be an issue as far as getting any warranty but the postal system over there is not all that honest but I guess ours isn't either for gun stuff . If Extravision will honour the warranty locally then that would be a good thing .
Jack V
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Title_II » 25 Dec 2014, 4:14 am

I have a PVS-5 with two Thin-Filmed Gen III tubes with 72 lp, I would have to get the cards for the photoresponse or FOM. I just use the headmount or handhold it. I have a Comp-M2 on one of my ARs but it is awkward with the PVS-5 so I put a real near-IR laser aimer on it (zero visible signature).

My rifle sight is some late-90s ATN sight. The body is old and blocky but it has an excellent for period US 38mm Gen II tube, clearly with a higher effective LP than the 25mm tubes due to the geometry. Works amazingly well.
Title_II
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey