Topographic Maps - Vic

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Topographic Maps - Vic

Post by oohsam » 10 Oct 2013, 12:05 pm

Hey guys,
Just thought I'd share this with you blokes.
I am known in my group of mates to be a 'map whore'. I like to be well mapped wherever we are going. I have quite a collection at home, but lately my life has become easier.

Normally I would go to the Vic State Bookshop in the CBD at lunch and pick my maps off the grid before any hunting/camp trip.
Now its all online, and its much cheaper, $4 for an A3 topo map, cheaper for a4.
And here' s the kicker.

You can use teh PDF in a map app on your phone with your GPS (no data connection required) to locate yourself on the map and browse it digitally.
I have not yet used this before but its very interesting.

Anyway, this is the link. Enjoy.

http://services.land.vic.gov.au/maps/im ... 0Front.jsp
http://gunhunter.com.au
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Topographic Maps - Vic

Post by RealNick » 10 Oct 2013, 12:12 pm

$5 for an proper A3 map is a winner.

I'm forever printing of chunks of google maps or DSE forest maps and sticky taping terrible collections of paper together :lol:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by oohsam » 10 Oct 2013, 12:20 pm

RealNick wrote:$5 for an proper A3 map is a winner.

I'm forever printing of chunks of google maps or DSE forest maps and sticky taping terrible collections of paper together :lol:

haha Thats $4.00 mate, not $5.00! lol
Its $2.00 for an A4 map, you get less of a map area, but it's heaps of info still.

The best part is, there's no risk of you accidentally going into National Park, or stepping out of the state forest, as its marked clearly.
Google maps has been wrong before (for me) with some state forest lines....I don't trust it at all, but great to survey an area.
I've also found their terrain to be not always correct. These are proper, topographic maps!
Email alerts for used guns, Get an email when a gun/rifle you're looking for is listed. Instantly.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 10 Oct 2013, 12:47 pm

oohsam wrote:The best part is, there's no risk of you accidentally going into National Park, or stepping out of the state forest, as its marked clearly.
Google maps has been wrong before (for me) with some state forest lines....I don't trust it at all, but great to survey an area.

I've found the same. You look up the same map in 3 places - Google, DSE, DPI - and you get 3 difference sets of lines :(
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by lole » 10 Oct 2013, 2:18 pm

Want one of these for NSW :(
lole
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by maxi » 10 Oct 2013, 3:21 pm

PDF version of all your maps on your phone is definitely handy.
maxi
Recruit
Recruit

South Africa

Post by VICHunter » 11 Oct 2013, 7:51 am

Awesome.

Thanks mate.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Aster » 11 Oct 2013, 8:21 am

RealNick wrote:I'm forever printing of chunks of google maps or DSE forest maps and sticky taping terrible collections of paper together :lol:

I was using a set traced in pen for a while :roll:
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by oohsam » 14 Oct 2013, 1:31 pm

I used these over the weekend in Woods point, where I was hunting and I must say, they were great. I have a Garmin GPS, so I turned that on, and I was using the maps on my phone with GPS turned on (no data) and they worked flawlessly, when comparing the two maps/gps capability.
oohsam
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Grated » 14 Oct 2013, 2:58 pm

lole wrote:Want one of these for NSW :(

And for SA too.
Thin out their numbers, Ned!

Mmm, thin out their numbers!
Grated
Lance Corporal