Getting the solvent etc out.

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Getting the solvent etc out.

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Dec 2014, 2:04 pm

Does anyone have any nifty tips on getting unwanted cleaning solvent etc out of the trigger mechanism and similar places when cleaning a rifle/gun ?

Although you try not to overload the cleaning patch, invariably you get a drop or three,, that finds its way into the aforesaid areas as the patch gets compressed into the chamber.

Better yet,, how to prevent it before it gets where you dont want it.

Is there a gun vice that allows longarms to be held upside down whilst cleaning ie: scope down and trigger up ?????
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Re: Getting the solvent etc out.

Post by Westy » 07 Dec 2014, 2:10 pm

Hey Die I use these little buggers Problem solved!!!!

http://www.hss.net.au/index.php?cPath=2 ... 69a3e7d7ea
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by KWhorenet » 07 Dec 2014, 2:58 pm

You could make a simple rifle holder using MDF board. Flat base, two verticle end boards with U shaped cut outs at top to sit rifle grip & barrel in. have barrel end much lower to have barrel angled down. Maybe use felt, rubber or old towelling to line the cut outs to protect rifle.

Also stuffing cloth in the action below the chamber entrance can catch unwanted drips and gunk.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by KWhorenet » 07 Dec 2014, 3:02 pm

As far as solvent removal goes, when I bought 7.62 sweets solvent I was told to run a few patches dripping in metho to remove it, dry patch out then oil patch straight after to protect.
KWhorenet
Sergeant
Sergeant

-

Post by Chronos » 07 Dec 2014, 3:33 pm

Use a bore guide for bore cleaning then a mop and nylon brush to clean the chamber, there's no reason to have gallons of solvent going down through the trigger

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Die Judicii » 07 Dec 2014, 9:54 pm

Thanks Guys,,,,,,,,, and Westy.

I've ordered one of the little suckers to try.

:D :D
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 08 Dec 2014, 5:51 am

A Bore Guide will sort that prob out well and truly, I wouldn't be without one now. Also once you've finished with the solvent, put a patch of shelite or metho through the bore to remove any solvent which should help neutralise it also, then oil em if storing away or leave em dry and go shooting.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Mich » 08 Dec 2014, 2:58 pm

McDonald's straw as a guide and cotton tips for the bit of unavoidable spill.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Aussier » 13 Dec 2014, 8:54 pm

Die Judicii wrote:Although you try not to overload the cleaning patch, invariably you get a drop or three,, that finds its way into the aforesaid areas as the patch gets compressed into the chamber.

You using a loop or a jag to patch through?

Best I've found is to use a jag, put the square of cloth on and drop a bit of solvent in the centre only. Leave the outside edges dry.

Push it through and the tailing dry patch catches any that might have otherwise squeezed out.

Easier to do the bigger patches without getting stuck with the jag.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by Die Judicii » 16 Dec 2014, 6:09 pm

Thanks heaps Westy and Big Fellah,,,, the one that I purchased as a starter turned up yesterday.

Absolute simplicity in design, and functional to boot

Love it. Can see one for each caliber I've got being ordered very soon.

Thanks again Mate.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey