Hunting in S.A on N.S.W license

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Hunting in S.A on N.S.W license

Post by brett1868 » 17 Dec 2014, 4:26 pm

I called the SA Firearms branch this morning to enquire about doing some hunting in S.A early next year. Spoke to Jan who was most helpful and answered all my questions and offered some good advice.

Apparently so long as I apply for a hunting permit online I can vaporise any number of feral's on private property with any calibre I see fit to use. I'm even allowed to bring my big guns into the state and use them so now I'll get serious about planning a trip to my uncles "Hobby Farm". When I say hobby farm, it's 20,000 acres with access to another 30,000 acres next door.

She did mention that in relation to 50BMG / 416 / 338 & 375 Chey that I'm fine to bring them into the state but I cannot allow them to be stored with my uncles firearms as he's not technically licensed for them.

Also in relation to shooting them I need to ensure the likelihood of the projectile leaving the bounds of the property was considered which won't be an issue on 20,000+ acres. Also, apparently they don't restrict the ownership of these calibre's but they do restrict their purchase and possession. The hunting permit seems easy enough to apply for so I'll get that sorted in the next few days.

They have a list of feral animals that can be hunted which is mainly goats, pigs, deer, rabbits & foxes. No mention of camels in that list but I did find camels listed elsewhere as being feral so I'll need to clarify that as one of the main ferals on the farm are camels.

http://www.environment.sa.gov.au/managing-natural-resources/plants-and-animals/Permits_licences/Native_animals_in_the_wild/Hunting_Permits
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Re: Hunting in S.A

Post by sbd3927 » 17 Dec 2014, 6:41 pm

If your uncle was to hand all keys to the firearm safe to you, then technically he would not have access to them. Might be the easiest way to ensure they are stored properly.

Sounds like it must be up north a bit, near the Simpson or some such for the camel problem. Anywhere near opal country? There has even been finds near fencepost holes.

Re Camels, heard a story from a friend about a cattle station out of Alice Springs somewhere. The property owner used to occassionally cull camels, and on one occassion he spotted a pair of camel necks rising above a hill near a waterhole. So he proceeds to drop them both with a couple of well placed head shots. A big surprise for the camels. An even bigger surprise for the operator and tourists on a camel tour :o .... the operator of the tour insisted he had been bringing tourists onto the station for years! But he had never bothered to seek permission, let alone inform the station owner when he would be there. :shock: Supposedly this happened decades ago, but its a good story and lesson anyhow.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Patrol66 » 17 Dec 2014, 7:15 pm

Sounds like all boxes ticked and your set for a good trip , looking forward to pics and a good yarn ;)
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by Monty » 21 Dec 2014, 6:43 am

brett1868 wrote:When I say hobby farm, it's 20,000 acres with access to another 30,000 acres next door.

He takes his hobbies seriously :lol:
Obligatory moderator signature: If you can't play by the rules, don't let the door hit you on the way out.
Monty

New South Wales

Post by Vati » 21 Dec 2014, 6:47 am

brett1868 wrote:No mention of camels in that list but I did find camels listed elsewhere as being feral so I'll need to clarify that as one of the main ferals on the farm are camels.

Read through this? Helpful hopefully....

Standard Operating Procedure: ground shooting of feral camels. SA.

Also listing on SA Government department here naming them feral...

Biosecurity SA : Weeds and pest animals. Feral camels.

Link in the middle there.
Reach out and touch...
Vati
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Re: Hunting in S.A on N.S.W license

Post by Seconds » 21 Dec 2014, 6:50 am

brett1868 wrote:She did mention that in relation to 50BMG / 416 / 338 & 375 Chey that I'm fine to bring them into the state but I cannot allow them to be stored with my uncles firearms as he's not technically licensed for them.

That's a bugger.

His cat B doesn't just cover him for them? Guess it works differently in SA...
Sako 85 Hunter
.308 Winchester
Seconds
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by Korkt » 21 Dec 2014, 6:53 am

brett1868 wrote:Also, apparently they don't restrict the ownership of these calibre's but they do restrict their purchase and possession.

:lol:

WTF is that supposed to mean.

Only an Australian government could say with a straight face "you're completely free to own one, we just may not let you purchase or possess one"

Korkt
Corporal
Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 21 Dec 2014, 4:51 pm

Korkt wrote:
brett1868 wrote:Also, apparently they don't restrict the ownership of these calibre's but they do restrict their purchase and possession.

WTF is that supposed to mean.

Only an Australian government could say with a straight face "you're completely free to own one, we just may not let you purchase or possess one"

Thanks Korkt, I'm glad you explained that; makes it clearer now.... :mrgreen:
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by brett1868 » 21 Dec 2014, 6:51 pm

Vati wrote:Read through this? Helpful hopefully....

Standard Operating Procedure: ground shooting of feral camels. SA.

Also listing on SA Government department here naming them feral...

Biosecurity SA : Weeds and pest animals. Feral camels.

Link in the middle there.

Thanks for the links, I didn't realise how small a camels brain was so if I come across any I'll avoid the head and go the heart shot if not %100 confident.

Probably won't get there till May or June at this stage, too friggen hot in summer so I've got time to get the permits organised and plan the trip a little better.

I have a mate in Cobar so I'll stir him up about seeing who he knows with places to shoot so might stop over for a few days on the way to S.A.
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by roob » 22 Dec 2014, 10:36 am

I know camels are big but surely nothing will stand up to a boiler room shot from a .338 and .416 and the toys your using.

The bastards must have ribs made of steel! :lol:
7mm-08 Tikka T3 Varmint and a .22-250 Tikka T3 Varmint
roob
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by subatom » 22 Dec 2014, 10:45 am

brett1868 wrote:Probably won't get there till May or June at this stage, too friggen hot in summer so I've got time to get the permits organised and plan the trip a little better.

Tell me about it.

Already a few 30 degree days here and it's only going up for the next few months.
Remington VTR .308 Winchester. Marlin 336 .35 Remington. Mossberg 185 20 gauge.
subatom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by keen » 21 Jan 2015, 8:23 am

How's the trip coming, Brett?

Wondering if I'll hear all those big booms in the distance soon :lol:
Henry .22LR Lever Action
.308 Howa Sporter
keen
Private