Pigs, skin, gut and cut. Whats your method..

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Pigs, skin, gut and cut. Whats your method..

Post by petemacsydney » 19 Dec 2014, 7:39 pm

Hi Guys, Just got back from my first hunting trip. Although the take was very small (1 out of season easter bunny, sans eggs), i learnt a bucket load about a lot of different hunting things as well as personal hunting choices. Unfortunately the condition of the bunny was not good enough for pelt and meat use, so she was a throw away, but none the less, lessons were learnt.

The good news for me is that i found pigs on the property and that is my next target... ahhhh, i love the smell of bacon in the morning!!

In anticipation of the next hunt i have been reading and watching up on skin, gut and cut methods for pigs.

So my question is... whats your favorite method for pigs and why does it work well for you?
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Re: Pigs, skin, gut and cut. Whats your method..

Post by Westy » 20 Dec 2014, 6:43 am

I first like to shoot them and then leave the stinking swine's to rot down to nothing in the paddock as a Warning to their other friends out there!!! :o :shock: :o

I wouldn't eat wild pork here in oz for anything in the world check this out peter

http://apdha.org.au/index.php?page=feral-pig-disease

Enjoy your Pig :lol: :lol: :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Dec 2014, 8:47 am

I tried it about 30 yrs ago. Didnt tast great but we ate it in various stir fries. Would try agin if it looked healthy, other wise leave it alone. Gotta cook well, to kill the bugs.
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by petemacsydney » 20 Dec 2014, 9:42 am

Westy wrote:I first like to shoot them and then leave the stinking swine's to rot down to nothing in the paddock as a Warning to their other friends out there!!! :o :shock: :o

I wouldn't eat wild pork here in oz for anything in the world check this out peter

http://apdha.org.au/index.php?page=feral-pig-disease

Enjoy your Pig :lol: :lol: :lol:

thanks for the tip mate, my research hadn't got that far yet. i had just assumed that you could check the pig various ways (like bunnies), to see if it was safe to eat. given my knowledge and skill on disease detection is limited, i don't think i'll be eating them now!
cheers mate
p
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 20 Dec 2014, 2:43 pm

why must you ruin it for us westy....

a couple of diseases or mites or a bit of bacteria..... whatever....nothing a good cook wont fix.

I've never shot a wild pig, but the farmed variety we didnt skin..... only clean the hair and bobs your uncle, skins the best part (maybe not the best).

From the sound of the mites and bity thing, may need to skin them??
In Italy and probably most other boar roaming nations, prosciutto other cured meats, sausage etc are up there in flavour....when hunted they are usually inspected for Brucellosis and other ailments.
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 20 Dec 2014, 6:25 pm

take a few choice cuts, wear gloves and cook well,,and when you get back "if you feel the need" take a worm tablet :lol: all good ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by Die Judicii » 20 Dec 2014, 7:26 pm

What WESTY said,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

But I would add to the suggestions from others about "well cooked"
There is one bug / microbe / parasite, found in Aussie feral pig that is best killed by FREEZING.

So,,, Kill, Butcher, Quarter etc then freeze, and then well cook.

Even after all that, I personally wouldn't eat it.

In saying so however,,, Ever wondered where the feral porkers in Aussie that go to the Chillers finish up ????????????

Quite possibly back in Aussie on your table in Mettwurst etc.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I do not fear death itself... Only its inopportune timing!
I've come to realize that,,,,, the two most loving, loyal, and trustworthy females in my entire life were both canines.
Die Judicii
Colonel
Colonel

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 20 Dec 2014, 7:35 pm

My understanding is that the meat is safe to eat if treated well and kept clean during the butchering. All the bad bugs and worms are in the gut, organs and the skin.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by petemacsydney » 20 Dec 2014, 7:44 pm

hhmm, maybe there is hope yet for the bacon i found!
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Westy » 21 Dec 2014, 7:55 am

I don't know if any of you guys have ever had Q-Fever we just to let you know it Sucks BIG Time!!!! Ohh and it never goes away either, and it comes back to visit you every 10 yrs or so !!!! So Chow down and enjoy ,also most pigs that go to the chillier end up in Dog food but ehhhh it was cheap right!!!!! :lol: :D :lol:
I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 21 Dec 2014, 8:43 am

probably end up in those things the butchers call sausages....the ones they sell out front of bunnings that smell like crap, mystery bags, arse and ears and feral pig perhaps......
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Patrol66 » 21 Dec 2014, 11:00 am

Grats on getting out in the field for a hunt, and learning new skills . Even if you don't eat the meat from any wild pigs you may shoot. Butchering the beast would be good practice. That's what we are going to do with all kills this year. We are beginners to hunting. My sons attempt to cape a goat head didn't work out so good last year, lol
Rem 700- 223, Marlin xt 22, Rem 700 - 30-06 ( not mine , but in my safe )
Patrol66
Private
Private

Victoria

Post by 1290 » 21 Dec 2014, 12:28 pm

probably more likely to get infected or climbed upon by a small thing when butchering than eating (after cooking!)
Example is foxes... the old hold up by the tail (with bare hands) for photo op will potentially transfer a parasite to you...either use the tip of the rifle :? your boot, gloved hand..
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 21 Dec 2014, 9:01 pm

Oldbloke wrote:My understanding is that the meat is safe to eat if treated well and kept clean during the butchering. All the bad bugs and worms are in the gut, organs and the skin.

I am a qualified meat inspector and have also done a lot of pig hunting. This is quite correct. Most parasites are found in the gut and most diseases are dealt with through hygiene, cooking and correct dressing. A good start is to only take parts like hind legs that can be removed without opening the gut. . I have eaten a lot of wild pig and am not concerned. Hygiene during dressing and good storage procedures are the most important. You will have just as many parasites as the pig.

Dean
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by deanp100 » 21 Dec 2014, 9:01 pm

Oldbloke wrote:My understanding is that the meat is safe to eat if treated well and kept clean during the butchering. All the bad bugs and worms are in the gut, organs and the skin.

I am a qualified meat inspector and have also done a lot of pig hunting. This is quite correct. Most parasites are found in the gut and most diseases are dealt with through hygiene, cooking and correct dressing. A good start is to only take parts like hind legs that can be removed without opening the gut. . I have eaten a lot of wild pig and am not concerned. Hygiene during dressing and good storage procedures are the most important. You will have just as many parasites as the pig.

Dean
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by petemacsydney » 21 Dec 2014, 9:15 pm

deanp100 wrote:

Dean

thanks mate, appreciate the advice!
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by AusC » 22 Dec 2014, 4:55 pm

Westy wrote:I wouldn't eat wild pork here in oz for anything in the world check this out peter

Look for clean looking meat and cook in a slow roast dish for couple of hours and IMO you're right.

I'm not an inspector or anything but I've done it with no ill-results.

Stew, goulash, that kind of thing. A crockpot in the oven at 180c for 5 hours is going to kill anything.
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by AusC » 22 Dec 2014, 4:56 pm

1290 wrote:a couple of diseases or mites or a bit of bacteria..... whatever....nothing a good cook wont fix.

:ugeek: :mrgreen:
300 Win Mag Tikka T3 Lite.
4-12x42 Zeiss Terra.
AusC
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 22 Dec 2014, 4:57 pm

Whatever you do don't just take the legs and leave the rest.

Shoulder and the neck, best bits of an oinker. (Off topic but same for deer).

Wasted by too many on lots of game hunting to just take the easy bits.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2014, 7:05 pm

Just for good hygiene reasons a pair of latex or rubber gloves along with a P1 mask will greatly reduce the risk of you catching any bacteria, virus or parasite.

And if you avoid opening up the gut even better.

edit : correction. P1 will prevent the vapours. A P2 for the bacteria
Last edited by Oldbloke on 24 Dec 2014, 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by deanp100 » 22 Dec 2014, 7:08 pm

Lorgar wrote:Whatever you do don't just take the legs and leave the rest.

Shoulder and the neck, best bits of an oinker. (Off topic but same for deer).

Wasted by too many on lots of game hunting to just take the easy bits.

Certainly take the whole pig, but this then requires full dressing out and that might be a bigger step than you are ready to take first up.
Deano
deanp100
Corporal
Corporal

Queensland

Post by petemacsydney » 22 Dec 2014, 8:19 pm

Oldbloke wrote:Just for good hygiene reasons a pair of latex or rubber gloves along with a P1 mask will greatly reduce the risk of you catching any bacteria, virus or parisite. And if you avoid opening up the gut even better.

what is a p1 mask?
cheers
p
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by 1290 » 22 Dec 2014, 8:22 pm

Particulate..... for real??? It's not ebola season is it?? :lol: :lol:
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 22 Dec 2014, 8:41 pm

Q fever is transmiited by breathing the contaminated gut vapors. A P1 (particulate ) mask is suprisingly effective in protecting you from that hazard. As mentioned earlier q fever can be very nasty. Not sure about pigs but plenty pf goats carry that bacteria.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 23 Dec 2014, 5:49 am

Oldbloke wrote:Q fever is transmiited by breathing the contaminated gut vapors. A P1 (particulate ) mask is suprisingly effective in protecting you from that hazard. As mentioned earlier q fever can be very nasty. Not sure about pigs but plenty pf goats carry that bacteria.

bulls**t Oldbloke!!!It is also transmitted via the blood and all bodily fluids!!It also is active for over 2 weeks outside the body and when pissed on the ground and dry's out becomes airborne in the dust... Q Fever is a bloody awful thing to catch and this I know as I've had it!!!! :x :cry: :evil: :roll:
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by Oldbloke » 23 Dec 2014, 7:04 pm

Westy, If u breath the gut vapours are your lungs exposed to contaminated bodily fluids? And if you prevent that exposure, would tbe risk be reduced? Yes, lm sure the other fluids are a potential risk. However my understanding is that the gut vapours is how people dressing out animals are most likely to be exposed to the bacteria. The skin, unless broken, usually provides a barrier for the other fluids.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Westy » 24 Dec 2014, 6:07 am

As your name states that is the "OLDSKOOL " train of thought, back in the Day!! but you win I'm Wrong!!!!What the hell would I know :cry: :( ;)
Westy
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by 1290 » 24 Dec 2014, 6:46 am

Westy wrote:As your name states that is the "OLDSKOOL " train of thought, back in the Day!! but you win I'm Wrong!!!!What the hell would I know :cry: :( ;)

come on get with our modern society, you need to be fully prepped for the hunt!

Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 24 Dec 2014, 7:25 am

Mearly offering a suggestion on how reduce the likely hood of catching q fever if they are concerned. Not telling people what to do.
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by petemacsydney » 24 Dec 2014, 9:31 pm

1290 wrote:
Westy wrote:As your name states that is the "OLDSKOOL " train of thought, back in the Day!! but you win I'm Wrong!!!!What the hell would I know :cry: :( ;)

come on get with our modern society, you need to be fully prepped for the hunt!

lol, 2bsure, 2bsure
_________
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey