Polarizing lenses all they're cracked up to be?

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Polarizing lenses all they're cracked up to be?

Post by Khan » 12 Jan 2015, 7:47 am

greyghost wrote:
Polarized lenses contain a laminated filter that allows only vertically oriented light to pass through.

How many people read this then turned their head sidewards wearing their glasses :lol:

I haven't tried this but it would/should make a difference actually.

If you were looking at a flat surface like a lake reflecting towards you, the polarizing would be filtering out a large amount of the glare.

If you turned your head sidewards it would let in that additional glare so there would be a difference.

That's situational of course, if you did it inside or in an evenly light day without any glaring objects reflecting in view there wouldn't be a difference.
44 Rem. Magnum Marlin Model 1894
.280 Rem. Browning X-Bolt Hunter
Khan
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Gwion » 12 Jan 2015, 9:32 pm

Melanie, sunnies are awesome. Buy good ones.

Lent a pair of sunnies to a mate last week, paddling down a local river after trout. He lost them.

Anyway, it didn't bother me too much. I bought them in 2004 and they were still perfectly usable. They cost me $290 but had well and truely done their service! I wore them at work every day for 5 years, they took the impact of stone chips while shaping stone, dust from all manner of crap (structural landscaper so plenty of abuse). They were glass, polarised and photochromic (adjust to light intensity from bright to dull).

After about a year they flung off my head, folded themselves up and landed on there end, folding them in half, like, lens to lens. I folded them back out and kept wearing them. The pretty colour had come of the nose piece and i was devastated but the glass lenses had not a sign of damage. Good excuse to by some more for "out and about" and down grade those to the "hack" pair. I have dropped those glasses, lens first, on rocks in the river and not a scratch or mark on them. SInce that first pair i have bought 5 other pairs of the same brand. They are one of the most optically correct lenses you can buy with no peripheral distortion what so ever, which is something that will give you eye strain from long use. As mentioned before, polarised glasses are great for glare reduction. No doubt about it. When you wear sunnies all day, staring at water for fish and forget you're wearing anything at all it is fantastic!!!

These glasses do not come cheap. The brand is Serengetti. Full retail is between $250-400. I used to buy them from a clearance outlet in Melbourne. Cheapest i payed was $120 for polycarb/polarised/photochromic, most expensive is my current pair at $360. The only pair of these glasses that hasn't lasted me more than 6 years is a pair that were 2 years old when my puppy ate them (another set of polycarb lenses), oh, and a pair i left behind somewhere once (d'oh!).

Your eyes are worth looking after and good glasses last as long as you look after them (wouldn't leave your rifle behind, would you???).... doesn't hurt to have a bit of style while you're out and about as well.

Have fun shopping.

Cheers from the sunglasses fanatic.

:D
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by Pom » 12 Jan 2015, 9:41 pm

Gwion wrote:Lent a pair of sunnies to a mate last week, paddling down a local river after trout. He lost them.

Anyway, it didn't bother me too much. I bought them in 2004 and they were still perfectly usable.

Geez you're easy going.

I'd be livid.
Remington 700 VTR in .308 WIn
Winchester Model 1873 in .44-40
Sako A7 in 243 Win
Pom
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Queensland

Post by Gwion » 12 Jan 2015, 10:37 pm

Well, i looked at him getting snagged and casting his heart out about 1/2 into the trip (he is new to trout fishing, really a free diving spear fisher) and thought to myself; "there's a good chance those sunnies are going to the bottom of the river".

I'd still prefer him not to have lost them but sort of accepted it before it happened. He has offered to give me money for them but at 11 years old and having taken so much abuse i couldn't really ask for replacement cost.

He'll make it up some how. Maybe he can buy me another keg for my home-brew set up or something. He has also helped out a lot on the property, so....

Ordinarily I work under the principal of "you broke it you bought it".

Cheers.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by teedo » 13 Jan 2015, 9:42 am

For real protection get 2 lenses and put them over each other at a 90degree angle ;)
teedo
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by bigfellascott » 13 Jan 2015, 10:09 am

sbd3927 wrote:Work safety glasses. Grey tint for strong sun, yellow tint for pretending its a sunny day but actually miserable.
Australian standards for safety glasses assure far more impact protection than any "sunglasses" will provide and only cost $10-$20 typically.

Ooops I left them on a tree stump when I gutted that critter, oh well stuff it. Ditto scratches and whatever else. I've a pair of Raybans in my wifes car, everywhere else its safety glasses. At that price you can have a few pairs all over the place, shooting bag, nice car, paddock bomb, workbench etc (still have trouble finding a pair when i need them though 8-) )

I like wearing my safety glasses everywhere too :D they are tinted and cost me $1 from a Garage Sale
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by BBJ » 13 Jan 2015, 2:10 pm

teedo wrote:For real protection get 2 lenses and put them over each other at a 90degree angle ;)

It'll definitely filter the light.

Expect to trip over often but your eyes will be well cared for :lol:
Weatherby Vanguard .223 Remington
Tikka T3 Varmint Stainless .243 Winchester
R.I.P. M1 Garand .30-06 Springfield

Leupold VX-R 4-12x40
BBJ
Corporal
Corporal

Northern Territory

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey