Hunting/day pack contents

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting/day pack contents

Post by wild goose » 11 Jan 2015, 5:00 pm

Cheers headspace. I recently purchased the ridgeline 5 pocket bum bag (for shorter trips) and was looking along similar lines to what you have mentioned. The ridgeline seems to be a decent bit of kit which will be useful.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 11 Jan 2015, 7:22 pm

pretty much the same, i have the ridgeline bumbag that ive put a harness on so that it can hang like a back pack, handy if you put a bit of weight in it, ;) first aid kit(two wound dressings,two triangle bandages,compression bandage, bandaids ect) gps, two way radio, ammo, lollies/bars,knife,water(two 600mil bottles) fire stick compass(cheapie), if its going to be hot i carry a backpack with a 2.5 ltr bladder plus i put another 2 ltr bladder in there as well with a bit of para cord so that i can hang it from a tree on the way in, i like to drink when i get thirsty :D
i also carry a couple of meat bags(pillow cases) and a large plastic bag, not a fan of blood running down my backpack or me ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by headspace » 11 Jan 2015, 8:49 pm

wild goose wrote:Cheers headspace. I recently purchased the ridgeline 5 pocket bum bag (for shorter trips) and was looking along similar lines to what you have mentioned. The ridgeline seems to be a decent bit of kit which will be useful.

I reckon that if you get the balance right on a bum pack, it can be easier than a back pack, and quicker to get rid of if you need to. The secret is to have the right belt and to have it properly adjusted. I also think that some of us carry way too much for a day out. There is always going to be the "what if" thing but you simply cant prepare for everything. For instance I never take a sharpener with me because the knife should be sharp enough to do the job. However I may take a spare knife usually a folding lock blade, also very sharp. To lessen weight try looking for food that's high in energy but low in weight. Water is more important than food too. I like to have more than one use for everything in my camp. I learnt a long time ago that carrying light is what you need to strive for, and time in the field and experimentation is the only way. As far as ammo is concerned, how much do you really need? in deer hunting you may only get one shot, so why carry 20 rounds. Not saying you shouldn't carry spare ammo but most rifles will have 4-5 in the mag, so do you really need more than that on the belt? Priorities are important; water, food and first aid.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 11 Jan 2015, 9:18 pm

I only carry ammo cause carrying anything else takes away the capacity to carry more ammo... :D :D :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 12 Jan 2015, 6:41 pm

wild goose wrote:Minimalist or prepared for everything?

Minimalist.

I run with a Caribee "hydration pack" (that's marketing talks for a backpack which just hold a few litres of water and has a few small pockets).

• 2L water in the backpack.
  • Medium size fixed blade.
  • A few muesli bars and maybe an UP&GO - Not enough food for a meal, but enough that if the day runs long I won't be starving at the end of it.
  • Map - depending on how large and how unfamiliar the territory I am in is.
  • 3 in the magazine, maybe half a dozen more rounds in the pack.
  • GPS/emergency beacon should be on this list... Except I haven't gotten to it yet.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by hiyoh » 12 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm

Warrigul wrote:Heart lung at <50m, took a couple to really slow him down, the first one looked like it dribbled a few fragments in but nothing major. The second one broke a rib. Only found pieces of both, but I wasn't looking too hard. Took a neck shot to really pin him(shock value I reckon) and a finisher in the head.

At sub 50m would it not be best to just go straight to the headshot?

Close enough to be confident you'll hit and surely a 150gr and that close range out of the 300wm will penetrate and just drop him?

Never shot buff/bulls before but how thick can a skull be?
hiyoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 12 Jan 2015, 10:04 pm

brett1868 wrote:I only carry ammo cause carrying anything else takes away the capacity to carry more ammo... :D :D :D

And when your ammo weighs 500gr per round you can't carry too many anyway :lol:

Most of my hunting lately has been from a vehicle...and more shooting than hunting but mid last year i set up my day pack for a day hunt, that is leave camp pre dawn and expect to be out most of the day but it allows for an unplanned overnight stay. Not shown is snacks like allens snakes, museli bars, 3l water bladder, a warm layer that i usually wear when leaving camp, ammo, bushmans, mobile phone and either my Svord or Fallkniven main knife.

the thread is here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1894

Chronos

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by wild goose » 12 Jan 2015, 10:54 pm

Cheers Chronos, great set of kit there. Appreciate the photo and detail mate.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 14 Jan 2015, 7:39 am

Forgot I posted a pic in the other thread (thanks for reminder Chronos).

Here's mine WG.

Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wild goose » 14 Jan 2015, 12:28 pm

Lorgar wrote:Forgot I posted a pic in the other thread (thanks for reminder Chronos).

Here's mine WG.

Thanks Lorgar, nice and simple yet everything you need.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 15 Jan 2015, 9:21 am

Much the same as above for me plus a few.

Small torch in case its dark sooner than expected.

Also have a 1.5m square tarp and roll of paracord that gets kept in the car. Can easily be tied onto the pack if it looks like the weather might turn. Basic as it gets but provides just enough shelter if the weather suddenly turns. Just...

A lighter and a couple of firestarter too, just in case.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by RealNick » 15 Jan 2015, 9:22 am

cuvy wrote:- first aid kit with a trauma bandage

Still missing a first aid kit :|

Really need to get off my ass and do that.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by lowb » 15 Jan 2015, 9:24 am

Quite the spread there Chronos :thumbsup:

Not leaving anything to chance.
lowb
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 03 Jul 2016, 1:24 pm

First aid also has alan key from rings and mounts.
Earplugs are gone. There's a pair in first aid kit, thats about it.

I am in two minds about the GPS and UHF. On one hand, I like both of them, on the other, I could replace both with Garmin Rino - GPS and UHF in one. What I really should have done in the first place, but I will write that off to experience (anyone wants to by my Etrex - let me know :) ). Maybe it could be a present from me to me when I land a stag :oops: $500 though, seems excessive, maybe not, will reevaluate next winter.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: What's in your hunting daypack? Pics please ;)

Post by juststarting » 03 Jul 2016, 1:27 pm

---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Oldbloke » 03 Jul 2016, 4:26 pm

IMG_1439 Kit Small.jpg
IMG_1439 Kit Small.jpg (255.59 KiB) Viewed 6650 times

NOTE: It is unusual these days for me to go out more than 4 hrs morning or evening. * indicates items in the plastic bottle beside the knife and cannot be seen. The white item between the knife and mobile is the ammo holder. (just a piece of foam with 2 holes drilled in it & tape wound around it.
Knife
2 Bandaids
2 Panadol/asprin
Fox Whistle (s)
Pill bottle with styro foam
Puffer bottle
Head light
Ear plugs
Face mask & gloves
Tape
Mobile ph with compass
Shooting sticks
Water bottle
Shears for blackberries
Ammo holder 2 -3 rounds
* 2 mtrs string
* Lighter
* 1 Birthday candle
* Small fishing kit- hooks & sinkers
* 2 Safety pins
* Small oil stone

PS Also a short length of toilet paper not shown. ( must have used it. LOL)
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 03 Jul 2016, 5:51 pm

juststarting wrote:Image

First aid also has alan key from rings and mounts.
Earplugs are gone. There's a pair in first aid kit, thats about it.

I am in two minds about the GPS and UHF. On one hand, I like both of them, on the other, I could replace both with Garmin Rino - GPS and UHF in one. What I really should have done in the first place, but I will write that off to experience (anyone wants to by my Etrex - let me know :) ). Maybe it could be a present from me to me when I land a stag :oops: $500 though, seems excessive, maybe not, will reevaluate next winter.

Stick with seperate GPS and UHF mate. Lots of guys complain about the radios in the Rhino being substandard.

I've changed a few things about my pack and equipment so I'll update it soon

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by juststarting » 03 Jul 2016, 6:07 pm

Chronos, I have heard that too, that they are hit and miss with mic. I really like the team tracking feature though, but you're right, probably a bad compromise.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by POD89 » 03 Jul 2016, 6:16 pm

I have much to learn.....
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by sbd3927 » 03 Jul 2016, 6:38 pm

hiyoh wrote:Close enough to be confident you'll hit and surely a 150gr and that close range out of the 300wm will penetrate and just drop him?
Never shot buff/bulls before but how thick can a skull be?

A fully mature bull? considerably thick. Couple of years ago I borrowed a 30/30 (and only 3 rounds) for a 6 year old bull, front on, proper placement, it bucked its head a bit then came towards me. Second shot, not so accurately placed as it was around 10m away and closing, it deflected down the side of head and into the neck, it then took off. Third round from the side, lined up with the brain pan, again failed to do the job, but made it go down... wedged under a log, where I couldnt reach it's neck. Finished with 22wmr, 5 rounds to the top vertebrae. A fiasco I'll never repeat.
I've the skull outside, inspection showed the frontal shot went exactly the right way, just failed to penetrate, likewise the side shot which seemed to have deflected down under the brain pan.

Few weeks later I went and bought my .308. It saw a bull of the same size last October, 30m. Dropped instantly, barely twitched. 22WMR can drop a 12-18mth old steer no problem, for grown bulls, use a serious projectile.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 03 Jul 2016, 6:51 pm

POD89 wrote:I have much to learn.....

Learn? All trial and error.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2016, 7:32 am

Jesus you cart some s**t with ya mate, I don't think you've left room for the kitchen sink? :lol:
Last edited by bigfellascott on 04 Jul 2016, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2016, 7:33 am

Lorgar wrote:This is what I'm usually carrying on me. I stock camp pretty well but travel pretty light...

hunting_pack.jpg

Rifle, 10 rounds, caribee backpack (1.5 litres of water), leatherman, knife, 30m paracord, matches.

Missing from the photo but usually there GPS, food (bars, trail mix, tin of fruit).

4.5-30x scope on the Tikka so no need for binoculars.

Lacking in first aid stuff admittedly... Need to sort that out.

That's more like it! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2016, 7:42 am

No torch Steve? Might come in handy, just f*** the 10 extra knives ya carting for no reason and put one of them in the kit, oh where's the steel? Don't forget the s**t tickets either, they come in handy when you need to poke a stick down the bore :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 04 Jul 2016, 8:32 am

you need to throw in a compass
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Chronos » 04 Jul 2016, 8:47 am

bigfellascott wrote:No torch Steve? Might come in handy, just f*** the 10 extra knives ya carting for no reason and put one of them in the kit, oh where's the steel? Don't forget the s**t tickets either, they come in handy when you need to poke a stick down the bore :D

"In there there's also a LED Lenser head torch in its case. This is a back up for walking at night but for $20 its a great unit"

My primary light was and still is an eBay head torch. It's not in the pack because it's on my head, or at least is when I leave camp. The one in the pack as I said is a backup, weighs bugger all. Can be used as a torch in its cover as shown but is actually a streamline head torch.

I suppose all this stuff seems like overkill to someone who shoots from their ute but when you leave camp before dawn and cover a minimum of 7-10kms in the bush the odds of needing more than a pack of smokes or some extra ammo goes up exponentially. As I said in the original post this pack was designed to keep me comfy should I have to stay in the bush overnight either through injury or just because it's not safe to make it back in the dark. Remember we're talking about being self sufficient on foot in a forest not in a ute, 2ks from the house :drinks:

I don't carry more than 2 knives, one main hunting/survival knife and one small folder but the options are there. Since this thread I've developed a liking for Spyderco's and one has found its way into my pocket instead of the Buck folder.

As I also said I've changed things a bit with a new pack, a Maxpedition Condor II that can serve as a daypack or an overnight camping pack by adding a bedroll, Bivi bag and Sleeping bag and some freeze dried meals.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2016, 9:43 am

:lol: I wish the fish would bite as well as you do. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by nords » 04 Jul 2016, 10:04 am

I like to go real minimal hunting, just take a loincloth and a sharp stick! :lol:
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2016, 10:18 am

nords wrote:I like to go real minimal hunting, just take a loincloth and a sharp stick! :lol:

Comes back to personal preference. But also the nature of the terain and if you know it well. Eg in summer take heaps of water. But some people seem to carry a lot of gear.
Yonks ago when I started out I carried s**t loads, take a lot less now. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Old Fart » 04 Jul 2016, 10:45 am

bigfellascott wrote:Jesus you cart some s**t with ya mate, I don't think you've left room for the kitchen sink? :lol:

Doubles as the exercise routine, pump that iron.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey