Hunting/day pack contents

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

What's in your hunting daypack? Pics please ;)

Post by Chronos » 29 May 2014, 6:31 pm

Hi all.

I'm madly packing for a weekend of hunting pigs, goats and hopefully deer and am laying out my stuff and it got me thinking what do others carry on a hunt ( or more accurately what have I forgotten :shock: )

So here's what I have so far, I'm notorious for taking too much stuff so here goes.

Firstly my pack, a crooked horn pack I bought second hand for a hundred bucks at a gun show I visited in Adelaide a couple of years ago. I've added a 2l hydration bladed with an insulated hose and upgraded bite valve

Inside I have a couple of soft cube bags. These help when you're unpacking stuff during the day.

In the first one is spare batteries for the range finder, torch and GPS. Then there's some duct tape and cable ties for running g repairs. There's a Buck three blade folder and a cheap sharpener. There's a magnesium and flint fire starting kit with some vasoline soaked cotton wool. There's also a lense cleansing cloth for cleaning scopes or binos. In there there's also a LED Lenser head torch in its case. This is a back up for walking at night but for $20 its a great unit.

Also in the pack is a US issue poncho for those days when the rain sets in or you want to set up a hoochie. There's a roll of cord in the pack which can be cut to length when required.

There's also electronic ear muffs, bino's, range finder and mapping gear (silva compass and romer card copy)

Edit: forgot to add the red thing is a pack cover, if it's real wet i can cover the pack but it could also be used to highlight a trophy head so no other hunters mistake me for a goat or deer while hiking back to camp :lol:

Not shown here is my main knife, a svord I usually wear on my belt and any spare ammo. I will be shooting .308 this weekend so I'll have 2 5 shot mags loaded in my pocket and maybe another 10 rounds in the pack.

So the question is what have I forgotten?

Feel free to discuss what I have here or shot pics of your own gear

Chronos
Last edited by Chronos on 29 May 2014, 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Re: What's in your hunting daypack? Pics please ;)

Post by MeccaOz » 29 May 2014, 6:40 pm

Nice pack Chronos , noty sure you have forgotten anything, but I think I'll use it as a basis for mine :)
MeccaOz
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by cruze82 » 29 May 2014, 6:40 pm

I think I see a flint but no lighter ?
cant hurt to throw one in and can come in handy
cruze82
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by on_one_wheel » 29 May 2014, 7:28 pm

Day pack as below, a lighter in my pocket and knife by my side.... don't forget your ammo.

Ok .... perhaps some water during the warmer months ;)
Gun control requires concentration and a steady hand
on_one_wheel
Colonel
Colonel

South Australia

Post by Chronos » 29 May 2014, 7:32 pm

on_one_wheel wrote:Day pack as below, a lighter in my pocket and knife by my side.... don't forget your ammo.

Ok .... perhaps some water during the warmer months ;)

:lol: nah mate, I'm old and fat. Don't need the trifecta of hill climbing handicaps.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 30 May 2014, 10:24 am

I feel under prepared now :lol:

Will post something tonight when I can take pics.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by VICHunter » 30 May 2014, 12:04 pm

I'll put something up in due course.

Prepare for s**ty phone pictures.
VICHunter
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Noisydad » 30 May 2014, 1:23 pm

Muesli bars, first aid kit?
There's still a few of Wile. E Coyote's ideas that I haven't tried yet.
Noisydad
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 30 May 2014, 1:38 pm

Crikey ND how many muesli bars and first aid kits do I need? :lol:

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by petemacsydney » 30 May 2014, 1:41 pm

where's the Bourbon Chronos?
_________
Are you ready for the Zombie apocalypse?
petemacsydney
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 01 Jun 2014, 12:18 pm

This is what I'm usually carrying on me. I stock camp pretty well but travel pretty light...

hunting_pack.jpg
hunting_pack.jpg (79.95 KiB) Viewed 8449 times

Rifle, 10 rounds, caribee backpack (1.5 litres of water), leatherman, knife, 30m paracord, matches.

Missing from the photo but usually there's a GPS, food (bars, trail mix, tin of fruit).

4.5-30x scope on the Tikka so no need for binoculars.

Lacking in first aid stuff admittedly... Need to sort that out.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Hunting/day pack contents

Post by wild goose » 11 Jan 2015, 1:53 pm

i am sure this may have been covered, and apologies if I am repeating old topics, but what is everyone currently packing in their hunting day pack?

Hunting accessories...
Survival gear...
Electronics...
Treats!!...

Minimalist or prepared for everything?
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Hunting/day pack contents

Post by North East » 11 Jan 2015, 2:16 pm

EPIRB, GPS, maps and compass, mobile phone, binoculars, bone saw, knives, wet weather clothing, food and water....and a pack of 180gn Rem Core Lokt .30-06 ammo.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 11 Jan 2015, 2:43 pm

North East wrote:EPIRB, GPS, maps and compass, mobile phone, binoculars, bone saw, knives, wet weather clothing, food and water....and a pack of 180gn Rem Core Lokt .30-06 ammo.

Totally off subject but being in a rush yeaterday I accidentally grabbed the green box with 150 grain soft points instead of the 180 core lokts.

The job at hand was a 10 year old bull in a very pissed off state that the vet couldn't get close enough to dart and had been destroying fences and charging employees.

I grabbed the Ruger .300WM and if it had been the 180 core lokts it would have been easy, however the 150 soft pointers just didn't penetrate well enough and put me in danger. In hindsight I should have gone home and got the right ammo. I have a lot of respect for the el cheapo(in some people's minds) core lokts.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by North East » 11 Jan 2015, 3:02 pm

Warrigul wrote:
North East wrote:EPIRB, GPS, maps and compass, mobile phone, binoculars, bone saw, knives, wet weather clothing, food and water....and a pack of 180gn Rem Core Lokt .30-06 ammo.

Totally off subject but being in a rush yeaterday I accidentally grabbed the green box with 150 grain soft points instead of the 180 core lokts.

The job at hand was a 10 year old bull in a very pissed off state that the vet couldn't get close enough to dart and had been destroying fences and charging employees.

I grabbed the Ruger .300WM and if it had been the 180 core lokts it would have been easy, however the 150 soft pointers just didn't penetrate well enough and put me in danger. In hindsight I should have gone home and got the right ammo. I have a lot of respect for the el cheapo(in some people's minds) core lokts.

Were you doing a heart/lung shot or somewhere else? I've used the 150's before without any problems.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by Warrigul » 11 Jan 2015, 3:19 pm

North East wrote:Were you doing a heart/lung shot or somewhere else? I've used the 150's before without any problems.

Heart lung at <50m, took a couple to really slow him down, the first one looked like it dribbled a few fragments in but nothing major. The second one broke a rib. Only found pieces of both, but I wasn't looking too hard. Took a neck shot to really pin him(shock value I reckon) and a finisher in the head.

I reckon I was too close for the Winchester soft points going full belt out of the WM.
Warrigul
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by cuvy » 11 Jan 2015, 3:29 pm

In addition to the usual stuff you would keep in your pack when out for a bush walk (water, snackfood, suitable outerwear for the climate/weather, flashlight, firestarter), I usually also carry:

- first aid kit with a trauma bandage
- garmin rino (GPS, topo maps, UHF CB radio)
- s-hooks, hoochie cord for hanging while gutting
- disposable nitrile gloves
- alcohol wipes for cleaning knives etc
- a knife just for gutting, and a portable sharpener
- baby wipes and alcohol hand sanitiser
- tubular gauze for wrapping carcass to carry back to camp
- folding saw to cut saplings for carrying carcass, and also any track clearing
cuvy
Recruit
Recruit

Queensland

Post by headspace » 11 Jan 2015, 4:43 pm

I wear an ex Army bum bag rather than a backpack. it's hooked up to an issue pistol belt. as well as the bum bag the belt also carries an all purpose knife, a water bottle 1lt, A camo pouch with 10rounds and a snake bit elastic bandage plus my GPS. Another 9rounds are on the other side in an elasticised ammo thingy. In side the bum bag is some tucker, a couple of nut bars, a bone saw and a poncho or raincoat. My bino's are around my neck or strapped to one of those bino harnesses. my fox whistle is also around my neck. I always wear clothes with plenty of pockets so the phone and glasses are in the shirt pockets and my camera is in one of the cargo pockets. It's all about weight distribution.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by wild goose » 11 Jan 2015, 5:00 pm

Cheers headspace. I recently purchased the ridgeline 5 pocket bum bag (for shorter trips) and was looking along similar lines to what you have mentioned. The ridgeline seems to be a decent bit of kit which will be useful.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by tom604 » 11 Jan 2015, 7:22 pm

pretty much the same, i have the ridgeline bumbag that ive put a harness on so that it can hang like a back pack, handy if you put a bit of weight in it, ;) first aid kit(two wound dressings,two triangle bandages,compression bandage, bandaids ect) gps, two way radio, ammo, lollies/bars,knife,water(two 600mil bottles) fire stick compass(cheapie), if its going to be hot i carry a backpack with a 2.5 ltr bladder plus i put another 2 ltr bladder in there as well with a bit of para cord so that i can hang it from a tree on the way in, i like to drink when i get thirsty :D
i also carry a couple of meat bags(pillow cases) and a large plastic bag, not a fan of blood running down my backpack or me ;)
tom604
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

South Australia

Post by headspace » 11 Jan 2015, 8:49 pm

wild goose wrote:Cheers headspace. I recently purchased the ridgeline 5 pocket bum bag (for shorter trips) and was looking along similar lines to what you have mentioned. The ridgeline seems to be a decent bit of kit which will be useful.

I reckon that if you get the balance right on a bum pack, it can be easier than a back pack, and quicker to get rid of if you need to. The secret is to have the right belt and to have it properly adjusted. I also think that some of us carry way too much for a day out. There is always going to be the "what if" thing but you simply cant prepare for everything. For instance I never take a sharpener with me because the knife should be sharp enough to do the job. However I may take a spare knife usually a folding lock blade, also very sharp. To lessen weight try looking for food that's high in energy but low in weight. Water is more important than food too. I like to have more than one use for everything in my camp. I learnt a long time ago that carrying light is what you need to strive for, and time in the field and experimentation is the only way. As far as ammo is concerned, how much do you really need? in deer hunting you may only get one shot, so why carry 20 rounds. Not saying you shouldn't carry spare ammo but most rifles will have 4-5 in the mag, so do you really need more than that on the belt? Priorities are important; water, food and first aid.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by brett1868 » 11 Jan 2015, 9:18 pm

I only carry ammo cause carrying anything else takes away the capacity to carry more ammo... :D :D :D
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by Lorgar » 12 Jan 2015, 6:41 pm

wild goose wrote:Minimalist or prepared for everything?

Minimalist.

I run with a Caribee "hydration pack" (that's marketing talks for a backpack which just hold a few litres of water and has a few small pockets).

• 2L water in the backpack.
  • Medium size fixed blade.
  • A few muesli bars and maybe an UP&GO - Not enough food for a meal, but enough that if the day runs long I won't be starving at the end of it.
  • Map - depending on how large and how unfamiliar the territory I am in is.
  • 3 in the magazine, maybe half a dozen more rounds in the pack.
  • GPS/emergency beacon should be on this list... Except I haven't gotten to it yet.
Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by hiyoh » 12 Jan 2015, 9:45 pm

Warrigul wrote:Heart lung at <50m, took a couple to really slow him down, the first one looked like it dribbled a few fragments in but nothing major. The second one broke a rib. Only found pieces of both, but I wasn't looking too hard. Took a neck shot to really pin him(shock value I reckon) and a finisher in the head.

At sub 50m would it not be best to just go straight to the headshot?

Close enough to be confident you'll hit and surely a 150gr and that close range out of the 300wm will penetrate and just drop him?

Never shot buff/bulls before but how thick can a skull be?
hiyoh
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Chronos » 12 Jan 2015, 10:04 pm

brett1868 wrote:I only carry ammo cause carrying anything else takes away the capacity to carry more ammo... :D :D :D

And when your ammo weighs 500gr per round you can't carry too many anyway :lol:

Most of my hunting lately has been from a vehicle...and more shooting than hunting but mid last year i set up my day pack for a day hunt, that is leave camp pre dawn and expect to be out most of the day but it allows for an unplanned overnight stay. Not shown is snacks like allens snakes, museli bars, 3l water bladder, a warm layer that i usually wear when leaving camp, ammo, bushmans, mobile phone and either my Svord or Fallkniven main knife.

the thread is here viewtopic.php?f=16&t=1894

Chronos

Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by wild goose » 12 Jan 2015, 10:54 pm

Cheers Chronos, great set of kit there. Appreciate the photo and detail mate.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lorgar » 14 Jan 2015, 7:39 am

Forgot I posted a pic in the other thread (thanks for reminder Chronos).

Here's mine WG.

Lorgar
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

Victoria

Post by wild goose » 14 Jan 2015, 12:28 pm

Lorgar wrote:Forgot I posted a pic in the other thread (thanks for reminder Chronos).

Here's mine WG.

Thanks Lorgar, nice and simple yet everything you need.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Aussier » 15 Jan 2015, 9:21 am

Much the same as above for me plus a few.

Small torch in case its dark sooner than expected.

Also have a 1.5m square tarp and roll of paracord that gets kept in the car. Can easily be tied onto the pack if it looks like the weather might turn. Basic as it gets but provides just enough shelter if the weather suddenly turns. Just...

A lighter and a couple of firestarter too, just in case.
Aussier
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Australian Capital Territory

Post by RealNick » 15 Jan 2015, 9:22 am

cuvy wrote:- first aid kit with a trauma bandage

Still missing a first aid kit :|

Really need to get off my ass and do that.
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Next

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey