Hunting/day pack contents

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Re: Hunting/day pack contents

Post by POD89 » 03 Jul 2016, 6:16 pm

I have much to learn.....
“The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes..."
POD89
Recruit
Recruit

Western Australia

Post by sbd3927 » 03 Jul 2016, 6:38 pm

hiyoh wrote:Close enough to be confident you'll hit and surely a 150gr and that close range out of the 300wm will penetrate and just drop him?
Never shot buff/bulls before but how thick can a skull be?

A fully mature bull? considerably thick. Couple of years ago I borrowed a 30/30 (and only 3 rounds) for a 6 year old bull, front on, proper placement, it bucked its head a bit then came towards me. Second shot, not so accurately placed as it was around 10m away and closing, it deflected down the side of head and into the neck, it then took off. Third round from the side, lined up with the brain pan, again failed to do the job, but made it go down... wedged under a log, where I couldnt reach it's neck. Finished with 22wmr, 5 rounds to the top vertebrae. A fiasco I'll never repeat.
I've the skull outside, inspection showed the frontal shot went exactly the right way, just failed to penetrate, likewise the side shot which seemed to have deflected down under the brain pan.

Few weeks later I went and bought my .308. It saw a bull of the same size last October, 30m. Dropped instantly, barely twitched. 22WMR can drop a 12-18mth old steer no problem, for grown bulls, use a serious projectile.
Anschutz 1515-1516 22WMR
Steyr Prohunter 308win, Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x50
sbd3927
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 03 Jul 2016, 6:51 pm

POD89 wrote:I have much to learn.....

Learn? All trial and error.
---
https://reloadingstudio.com
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Re: What's in your hunting daypack? Pics please ;)

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2016, 7:32 am

Jesus you cart some s**t with ya mate, I don't think you've left room for the kitchen sink? :lol:
Last edited by bigfellascott on 04 Jul 2016, 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2016, 7:33 am

Lorgar wrote:This is what I'm usually carrying on me. I stock camp pretty well but travel pretty light...

hunting_pack.jpg

Rifle, 10 rounds, caribee backpack (1.5 litres of water), leatherman, knife, 30m paracord, matches.

Missing from the photo but usually there GPS, food (bars, trail mix, tin of fruit).

4.5-30x scope on the Tikka so no need for binoculars.

Lacking in first aid stuff admittedly... Need to sort that out.

That's more like it! :thumbsup:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2016, 7:42 am

No torch Steve? Might come in handy, just f*** the 10 extra knives ya carting for no reason and put one of them in the kit, oh where's the steel? Don't forget the s**t tickets either, they come in handy when you need to poke a stick down the bore :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by wrenchman » 04 Jul 2016, 8:32 am

you need to throw in a compass
wrenchman
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

United States of America

Post by Chronos » 04 Jul 2016, 8:47 am

bigfellascott wrote:No torch Steve? Might come in handy, just f*** the 10 extra knives ya carting for no reason and put one of them in the kit, oh where's the steel? Don't forget the s**t tickets either, they come in handy when you need to poke a stick down the bore :D

"In there there's also a LED Lenser head torch in its case. This is a back up for walking at night but for $20 its a great unit"

My primary light was and still is an eBay head torch. It's not in the pack because it's on my head, or at least is when I leave camp. The one in the pack as I said is a backup, weighs bugger all. Can be used as a torch in its cover as shown but is actually a streamline head torch.

I suppose all this stuff seems like overkill to someone who shoots from their ute but when you leave camp before dawn and cover a minimum of 7-10kms in the bush the odds of needing more than a pack of smokes or some extra ammo goes up exponentially. As I said in the original post this pack was designed to keep me comfy should I have to stay in the bush overnight either through injury or just because it's not safe to make it back in the dark. Remember we're talking about being self sufficient on foot in a forest not in a ute, 2ks from the house :drinks:

I don't carry more than 2 knives, one main hunting/survival knife and one small folder but the options are there. Since this thread I've developed a liking for Spyderco's and one has found its way into my pocket instead of the Buck folder.

As I also said I've changed things a bit with a new pack, a Maxpedition Condor II that can serve as a daypack or an overnight camping pack by adding a bedroll, Bivi bag and Sleeping bag and some freeze dried meals.

Chronos
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2016, 9:43 am

:lol: I wish the fish would bite as well as you do. :D
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by nords » 04 Jul 2016, 10:04 am

I like to go real minimal hunting, just take a loincloth and a sharp stick! :lol:
Norica Spider GRS Camo .22
Browning BLR Lightweight 81 .243
Browning A-Bolt Medallion 300 Win Mag. Weaver V-Series 3-15 x 42.
nords
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Western Australia

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2016, 10:18 am

nords wrote:I like to go real minimal hunting, just take a loincloth and a sharp stick! :lol:

Comes back to personal preference. But also the nature of the terain and if you know it well. Eg in summer take heaps of water. But some people seem to carry a lot of gear.
Yonks ago when I started out I carried s**t loads, take a lot less now. :thumbsup:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Old Fart » 04 Jul 2016, 10:45 am

bigfellascott wrote:Jesus you cart some s**t with ya mate, I don't think you've left room for the kitchen sink? :lol:

Doubles as the exercise routine, pump that iron.
Winchester Model 70 Featherweight - .270 Winchester Short Magnum
Uberti 1873 Short Rifle - .45 Colt
Winchester Model 70 Coyote Varmint - .22-250 Remington
Old Fart
Corporal
Corporal

South Australia

Post by bigfellascott » 04 Jul 2016, 10:58 am

Old Fart wrote:
bigfellascott wrote:Jesus you cart some s**t with ya mate, I don't think you've left room for the kitchen sink? :lol:

:lol: he might need to do the dishes whilst out huntin.
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by Gamerancher » 04 Jul 2016, 12:33 pm

Have to agree with Oldbloke on this. If you know your hunting ground, keep an eye on the weather, and have a mate with you, you can keep it to the bare minimum. "Horses for coarses" really does apply here. My brother-in-law and I used to hunt on a couple of large properties, 14,000 acres, in some pretty hard terrain and do a lot of miles. Never carried much more than our rifles,a knife and ammo. However, we did know where good water was available, we weren't after meat and were both young and fit.
"Ah, those were the days"
Gamerancher
Sergeant Major
Sergeant Major

New South Wales

Post by Chronos » 04 Jul 2016, 1:58 pm

bigfellascott wrote:
Old Fart wrote:

:lol: he might need to do the dishes whilst out huntin.

Says the guy who takes his generator and pizza oven camping :clap:

:sarcasm:

Steve
Chronos
Second Lieutenant
Second Lieutenant

New South Wales

Post by Oldbloke » 04 Jul 2016, 4:01 pm

"Says the guy who takes his generator and pizza oven camping :clap:"

He would be welcome in my camp. BYO? :drinks: :drinks:
The greatest invention in the history of man is beer.
https://youtu.be/2v3QrUvYj-Y
Member. SFFP, Shooters Union.
SSAA, the powerful gun lobby. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hunt safe.
Oldbloke
Field Marshal
Field Marshal

Victoria

Post by Baronvonrort » 04 Jul 2016, 5:25 pm

Not much in my kit I travel light for daytripping

Ammo
Water
Winnie blue or Cuban cigar + bic lighter
GPS
Phone
EPIRB
Nikon Prostaff Range finder + data for ammo
Hunting knife
Snacks or sandwich
short length of Elastoplast
LED torch
Baronvonrort
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by Aster » 05 Jul 2016, 2:07 pm

Merged the two similar topics.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by juststarting » 13 Aug 2016, 10:45 am

Not daypack content, but close enough:

First aid
http://myshootingjourney.com/2016/08/13/1475/
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by Gwion » 13 Aug 2016, 2:44 pm

All good mate... I suggest adding 2x compression bandages. Crepe bandages are best for dressing wounds, compression for break/sprain and snake bites.

PS: tampons are also good for large puncture wounds like an accidental gun shot. That's what they where invented for in the first place.
Gwion
Colonel
Colonel

-

Post by sandgroperbill » 13 Aug 2016, 3:32 pm

Wekeep a basic kit in the car which includes matches, a couple of batteries, small handheld uhf, emergency alfoil blanket, iodine free water purification tablets, aponcho and a small torch, all in a small watertight container that will fit in a large pocket. Also keep string and rope, an axe, a couple of tarps, etc in the ute.

In my backpack or bumbag I keep somesanitizer, a couple of bandages, stingose, matches, torches, some muesli bars, some needles and cotton, more water purification tablets, batteries, poncho, sunscreen, tinea cream, sunscreen, some of those charcoal hand warmers, flint and steel, a couple of firelighters and a compass with a tiny torch, flint, thermometer, fishing line and hooks inside the back of the thermometer.

Bit overkill, but very compact and takes up beugger all space and adds bugger all weight. I've never needed any of it, but if a situation arises where I ever do, I know its there
sandgroperbill
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

Western Australia

Post by juststarting » 13 Aug 2016, 11:30 pm

Gwion wrote:All good mate... I suggest adding 2x compression bandages. Crepe bandages are best for dressing wounds, compression for break/sprain and snake bites.

Ye, was thinking about that - but wanted everything in one, day trip only. If it's more than a day, then obviously there needs to be a little bit more gear in there. Though I am thinking of swapping out crepe for a compression bandage. Don't really need both for short time.

Gwion wrote:PS: tampons are also good for large puncture wounds like an accidental gun shot. That's what they where invented for in the first place.

funny and true, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVrwvMxFx1g
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by juststarting » 13 Aug 2016, 11:35 pm

sandgroperbill, my car is well stocked when I am out. Probably over stocked, but it's in the car so who cares... On me, I try to have as little as possible if it's a day trip with back to base for sleeping, which is what I've done to date. Though "tinea cream, some of those charcoal hand warmers, thermometer" is probably an overkill 8-)

That said, I was using chemical hand warmers last weekend, was okay when I started moving, but waking up - got cold pretty fast when I climbed out of the bag.
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 14 Aug 2016, 12:27 am

A little more tacticool than what id like but i've become so used to going bush like this, i can't do backpacks as i hate having to stop,and get what i want whilst having eyes down, not to mention rummaging for something. Made this little rig up to go under a large hunting jacket and ideally not to print to much to make it look like i have oddly shaped boobs lol

Otherwise it'll just be overt and it is what it is

Has a full gsw medkit with chest seal and a torniquet with some trauma shears

The big flat pouch folds down to a table like surface where i keep my maps, permits, id, licenses pen pencil and small torch,

long pouch underneath carries a boresnake and anything else i need to run the gun with that day

next to that is a general pouch which will usually contain some rations just in case along with some dunny paper and any survival kit i deem necessary at the time, next to that is a multitool

I've been running a setup like this for a while adding and removing stuff to get the balance of stuff vs size right, i can run a camel back on the back straping but usually go with what the camel back came with as it break up all the harness lines and stuff

Spare ammo gets tucked in a zippered pouch in stripper clups that runs the full length of the rig just under the front of the harness, easy to get to if need be
Attachments
rps20160814_002216.jpg
rps20160814_002216.jpg (171.42 KiB) Viewed 5886 times
Last edited by AusTac on 14 Aug 2016, 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by juststarting » 14 Aug 2016, 12:45 am

I am going to blog something on my pack selection, just need to climb into storage space and find my old backpack for a photo :)

I saw someone using similar setup, I really liked it, though I wonder how you carry stuff out (if you do)?
---
juststarting
Captain
Captain

Victoria

Post by AusTac » 14 Aug 2016, 12:59 am

Haven't really thought about that yet if i'm honest, was going to quarter up what i can and drag it back in a meat bag, mostly after deer
Certified part time hillbilly
AusTac
Warrant Officer C2
Warrant Officer C2

-

Post by juststarting » 15 Aug 2016, 12:57 am

Edited, found a more relevant thread...
AusTac, here's my though process on bag selection:
http://enoughgun.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3566&p=99512#p99512
---