Garmin Etrex 20 GPS

Game hunting and large prey. Deer stalking, hunting with hounds. Boar, pigs etc., large prey, culling, hunting large feral animals.

Garmin Etrex 20 GPS

Post by wild goose » 12 Jan 2015, 6:21 pm

Hi all,

Was on the look out for a basic, does the job, gps recently and settled with the garmin Etrex 20. I must say, after using it for the past 2 weeks I have been really happy with this little unit. I am currently overseas on holiday and was able to download maps from openstreetmaps of Indonesia. The automotive mode has been really helpful whilst riding around on a scooter.

No it doesn't have all the bells and whistles on it that an actual automotive gps would have, but it tells me when I need to turn left and right and the correct time. For a gps designed for predominately recreational use and not automotive use, I was quietly surprised.

Recreational profile has also been great and the unit is east to operate. Previous to this I had no experience with handheld Gps units and was able to work it out and operate immediately.

Getting maps from the tinterweb onto it for the first time takes a bit of getting used to but once you have one map the rest is easy.

Looking forward to getting out into the middle of no where for a shoot and give this thing a run there. If it has the ability to tell me where my car is, where camp is, where downed game is, and how to get home, then it has everything that I need.

Other things I like about the unit:

- Micro sd card compatible and able to store multiple maps and switch between them with a simple click.
- joystick is easy to use (even in today's world of touchscreen) especially with gloves or in cold/wet conditions.
- u it is small and fits into pocket easily.

The garmin etrex 20 is a product I would recommend to anyone thinking of buying from my limited experience so far.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Re: Garmin Etrex 20 GPS

Post by North East » 12 Jan 2015, 6:38 pm

Until the batteries go flat...take a compass, maps and PLB as well.
Browning BL-22 lever action...open sights
T3 Varmint .204 Ruger...Meopta Meostar 4-16X44
T3 Lite .30-06 Sprg...Aimpoint Hunter 1X red dot

....that will do me
North East
Sergeant
Sergeant

Victoria

Post by wild goose » 12 Jan 2015, 8:07 pm

North East wrote:Until the batteries go flat...take a compass, maps and PLB as well.

Agreed mate, silly just to rely on technology alone.

Yet to get myself a PLB, on the wish list.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by brett1868 » 12 Jan 2015, 8:32 pm

You don't need a GPS to tell you where you're going or where the car is...get a wife, they know EVERYTHING :)
How's my posting?
Complaints, Concerns - 13 11 14
brett1868
Lieutenant Colonel
Lieutenant Colonel

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 15 Jan 2015, 7:38 am

wild goose wrote:The garmin etrex 20 is a product I would recommend to anyone thinking of buying from my limited experience so far.

Thanks Goose.

A GPS is on my to-get list for shooting as it's all new to be but I didn't know where to make a start.

Got something to look at now :)
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by Aster » 15 Jan 2015, 7:42 am

Haven't used a huge variety of GPS but I've been impressed with the Garmin in the past also.

I use a Garmin 62. Similar enough thing just a couple of years old.

Rugged little unit with good battery, level of map details is good. Stores locations so you can find good spots you stumble across again.

Things will have only gotten better since then I'm sure.
See you on the firing line.
Aster

-

Post by Mich » 15 Jan 2015, 7:44 am

wild goose wrote:Looking forward to getting out into the middle of no where for a shoot and give this thing a run there. If it has the ability to tell me where my car is, where camp is, where downed game is, and how to get home, then it has everything that I need.

:thumbsup:

I've got an old model Etrex and it's as good as the day I bought it years ago.

Does everything I need.
Mich
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

United States of America

Post by Lyam » 15 Jan 2015, 10:29 am

I've been putting getting one off for too long.

Shows how out of touch I am. These were about $500 for something similar last time I looked.

$230 now. Might be time.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by wild goose » 15 Jan 2015, 11:16 am

Lyam wrote:I've been putting getting one off for too long.

Shows how out of touch I am. These were about $500 for something similar last time I looked.

$230 now. Might be time.

Got mine for $199 on a sale at anaconda. I think you are looking around the $200 mark now.

The etrex series are auper tough and just keep on going. Not a bad investment for something you will have for a number of years.
Gamo Shadow 22Air
Marlin XT22
AyA 12g s/s
Howa 1500 308w
wild goose
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Lyam » 15 Jan 2015, 2:07 pm

Even better.
Ruger 77/22 + Bushnell Banner 3.5-10x36
Tikka T3 Forest 270 Win + Swarovski Z3 3-10x42
Lyam
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

Victoria

Post by Prettybird » 15 Jan 2015, 2:20 pm

Thanks for the review Goose.
Prettybird
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Post by RoginaJack » 19 Feb 2015, 9:39 pm

I ended up getting a Magellan GPS 510 from Dick Smith with Australian and New Zealand maps & a carry case included for $199.20.

The maps hadn't turned up ( been waiting since November ) so got sick of waiting & rang Monday and the download link was sent Wednesday. Only downloaded and Installed them today. By the look of the weather, I won't get out for the next few days at least to give this a go.

I've only used it a few times with the World map but goes pretty good - way points, back track and shoot positions etc marked and found in the dark. Haven't used the "Best fishing & hunting" feature yet, but will give it a go.

Found the car on back track, front gate etc and overall, generally happy. Runs on a couple of AA batteries as do a few of my other toys, so no problem with battery supplies.

Stay tuned...
Boom, Boom! Tikka, Tikka, Boom! Shoot first, video later.
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by headspace » 20 Feb 2015, 9:24 am

I have an old Magellan which is really a bit too big to carting about in the bush, plus it sucks up batteries like a Texas Tornado. I'm definitely looking at one of these little pocket number. However the Silva compass and map will still be present. Thought: You're not lost if you don't care where you are.
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by melanie » 20 Feb 2015, 9:52 am

RoginaJack wrote:Stay tuned...

Staying :mrgreen:
melanie
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

South Australia

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Feb 2015, 3:49 pm

melanie wrote:
RoginaJack wrote:Stay tuned...

Staying :mrgreen:

:lol: :lol: Could be a couple of weeks as we're up to our neck with cyclone Marcia at the moment... :crazy:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by RoginaJack » 20 Feb 2015, 3:50 pm

headspace wrote:I have an old Magellan which is really a bit too big to carting about in the bush, plus it sucks up batteries like a Texas Tornado. I'm definitely looking at one of these little pocket number. However the Silva compass and map will still be present. Thought: You're not lost if you don't care where you are.
JD

Yep, too true... :clap:
RoginaJack
Warrant Officer C1
Warrant Officer C1

Queensland

Post by heron » 23 Feb 2015, 2:05 pm

RoginaJack wrote: :lol: :lol: Could be a couple of weeks as we're up to our neck with cyclone Marcia at the moment... :crazy:

Sounds like an opportunity to really put it to the test!

"I was impressed the GPS still found a location while going around in circles at 180km an hour" :lol:

:sarcasm:
heron
Recruit
Recruit

New South Wales

Post by bigfellascott » 23 Feb 2015, 4:04 pm

North East wrote:Until the batteries go flat...take a compass, maps and PLB as well.

Couldn't you just put more batteries in it? :unknown:
bigfellascott
Lieutenant General
Lieutenant General

-

Post by RealNick » 26 Feb 2015, 10:08 am

I'll take the batteries for the GPS...

GPS doesn't help if your lying with a broken leg though so doesn't take the place of a PLB. They definitely get the :thumbsup:
RealNick
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by keg » 26 Feb 2015, 12:58 pm

If you have a garmin you can get some pretty cool map sets for free here
http://www.gpsfiledepot.com

I guess the garmin map protocol has some exploitable features that allow guys to create their own map sets for download to a garmin using BaseCamp. There is a whole group of guys that download survey maps from government sites and convert them to garmin map sets. I have the entire US Topo on my computer for when I go places. I checked and they have a few for Australia

These map sets are not copyrighted so there is no worry about violating a law it's just a bunch of guys who enjoy crunching code and making custom map sets.
keg
Recruit
Recruit

United States of America

Post by headspace » 26 Feb 2015, 8:09 pm

What did we do before we had GPS and PLB, plus any other acronyms you can dream up. I suppose a trail of bread crumbs back to camp is out of the question?
JD
If it's not wood and blued steel, it's not one of mine
headspace
Sergeant
Sergeant

New South Wales

Post by FuzzyM » 26 Feb 2015, 9:20 pm

headspace wrote:What did we do before we had GPS and PLB, plus any other acronyms you can dream up. I suppose a trail of bread crumbs back to camp is out of the question?
JD

Nah, the possums eat them.....
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by FuzzyM » 26 Feb 2015, 9:22 pm

I primarily use memory maps on my phone for bush navigation.
The Mrs was nice enough to buy me the high res vic topo maps for it a couple of years ago.

I also have a Garmin etrex 10, pretty basic, but makes for a good backup/ trip meter when hunting.

It is also handy to use as a speedo in my boat.
FuzzyM
Corporal
Corporal

Victoria

Post by portph » 02 Mar 2015, 8:03 pm

headspace wrote:What did we do before we had GPS and PLB, plus any other acronyms you can dream up. I suppose a trail of bread crumbs back to camp is out of the question?
JD

Just don't be the one unlucky SOB that doesn't come home that year.
Tikka T3 Lite in 300 Win Mag
Tikka T3 Hunter in 243 Winchester
portph
Private
Private

Queensland

Post by Gogetem » 04 Mar 2015, 4:59 pm

Thanks wild Goose for the informative post. Certainly helps someone like me researching for a hand held GPS for the bush. I was looking into Garmin 62s or if budged allowed the new 64s but based on your review It looks like this is what I wanted from my first handheld GPS.
.308, .223, .22, 12G o/u & a SxS
Gogetem
Recruit
Recruit

Victoria

Post by Manimal » 05 Mar 2015, 12:55 pm

JD

Have some fun along the way and leave a trail of spent brass :lol:
Manimal
Lance Corporal
Lance Corporal

New South Wales

Return to Hunting - Game hunting and large prey